Training Camp

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Tyreek Hill got hurt early during the day, walked up the hill under his own power at least...

It does not appear serious. Letting him stand aside will probably help the rest of the crowd.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/training_camp_injury_update_tyreek_hill_not_participating_in_tuesdays_practice/s1_16631_35532506

OC Bienemy had some comments on the rookie receivers, Noah Gray and Cornell Powell.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/03/kansas-city-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-impressions-rookies-noah-gray-cornell-powell/

Are they right where we need them to be? Not quite, but I will say this, every day, I’m seeing them improve upon something. Now, are they making mistakes? Yes, mistakes happen. ... So, the good thing is that both of those guys are working their tails off. They’ve found a way to make plays each and every day, and so the thing that we want them to do is just to continue to strive to be at their best.

Edited by onejayhawk

5 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

Trey Smith is a monster

The stories of Smith's physicality are approaching legend already. There is another such comment in the daily hits. They also think Niang may hang onto the RT job. Wtih the pads on, offense took center stage, and Kelce thinks Noah Gray will help. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-takeaways-day-7/

Taco Charlton was a situational pass rusher least season. That said, he was a very good situational pass rusher until he was injured. He plans on more of the seam, just all season.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/4/22610036/taco-charlton-wants-to-finish-what-he-started-before-his-injury

More on how the OL will affect the running game. Look for significant changes. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/4/22609312/how-the-chiefs-new-look-offensive-line-can-change-the-running-scheme

Long interview with Spagnuolo. I'll just quote the bit on Gay.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/4/22609927/chiefs-training-camp-notebook-steve-spagnuolo-provides-early-clues-on-21-changes

The OTAs and the offseason for Willie was huge. I’m hoping, going through this whole process, we can get back to normal football, normal offseason, he can even grow better. But love his energy. You guys see him and talk to him — he loves ball. That’s a good thing. Good place to start.

Edited by onejayhawk

After the team’s workout on Wednesday, Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo took the podium for the first time training camp began.

Like the offensive side of the football, the Chiefs have not gone through drastic changes on the defensive side, but the team is hoping the subtle changes they made tip the scale in the unit taking another step forward in 2021.

That starts with the often-talked-about move of Chris Jones from defensive tackle to hybrid lineman.

“Chris is going to have to play multiple spots,” said Spagnuolo. “That’s just the way it is. Turk (Tershawn Wharton) is going to have to do the same. Mike Danna is probably going to have to do the same thing. So, the more flexible we can be, especially with big guys, the better off we’ll be.”

Spagnuolo noted that includes swapping Jones and the other starting defensive end, Frank Clark, depending on the package and opposing look.

“Our defense has quite a bit of volume, so there’s a challenge in learning two spots — but I think Chris has handled it pretty well to this point.”

Hasn't Jones kind of been doing this for a couple seasons now?

6 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Hasn't Jones kind of been doing this for a couple seasons now?

Not really, i mean a couple seasons ago he flexed out wide a few games due to injuries at DE, but its never been a major component to his game. Hes always been a beast inside, be interesting to see how he does in live game action. 

Interesting that Turk was mentioned, he's been doing very well at camp. He did similar training as Jones did this offseason to prepare for DE.  Weve got a halfway decent line going if they can stay healthy

Say what you will about Veach’s early picks, but he’s definitely been maximizing his value in the later rounds/UDFA.

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

I am not at all surprised that Spags said Turk Wharton would play multiple positions, because he has a DE build and pass rush is his forté. Likewise, Mike Danna has a similar build and is very stout against the run. Those two could play beside each other and be interchangeable for years to come. The addition of Darren Reed gives them a lot of flexibility, since he can play either DT. 

What makes it all work is the LB. If Gay is as improved as reports indicate, he and Hitchens can play the bulk of the snaps with five DB. Bolton can start off as a downhill guy for run downs. The secondary is looking stacked, with three S and four CB.

I am guessing the most common lineup at the start of the season will be: 

Jones/Wharton/Reed/Clark 
Hitchens/Gay
Mathieu/Thornhill/Ward/Sneed/Hughes

Good point about the later picks and UDFA. Where would the defense be without Sneed, Danna, Wharton, but also the low cost FA and trades, eg Reed and Hughes. 

J

It's a reality of camp that the second team defense plays the first team offense. That gives Alex Okafor and Derrick Nnadi a front row look at the new OL. Here's what they have to say about the whole line and particularly about the three rookies.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/06/kansas-city-chiefs-derrick-nnadi-alex-okafor-share-offensive-line-impressions/

Okafor: 

A lot of new faces up front, and obviously, I wasn’t here during OTA’s, so it was surprising to see all of the new faces, but from what I’ve seen so far, we’ve got a unit. They all seem like they’re coming together. They all seem like they’re all on the same page, and more than anything, we’ve got some size up front too. That’s exciting as well.

Okafor mentioned Niang as a player along the offensive line who has stood out to him so far during training camp.

As a rookie, he’s very impressive. Obviously, he’s big, strong, physical, but more than anything, you don’t see him mess up too often. He’s patient and you don’t see that too often as a tackle. I think offensive linemen, especially tackle has one of the hardest learning curves as a rookie. You just don’t see that from him, not yet.

Nnadi:

I’ve seen a lot of promise, a lot of great potential out of our offensive linemen. Trey [Smith], he’s a very hard worker. I can see that because I’ve been talking to him just briefly throughout OTAs. I think he’ll be a good player here. Creed [Humphrey], I feel like he’s going to be a great center, strong inside punch, making sure he has a sturdy base. I feel like those two will be really good this year.

CB is a position of perceived need around the NFL fan base. This is because they don't know any of the Chiefs by name. That will change as L'Jarius Sneed comes into his own. One of the hallmarks of Spagnuolo's defenses has been a versatile DB, who can play inside, outside, press, off ball, safety, even blitzing as the situation dictates. That's where Sneed comes in. In his abreviated rookie season, only nine games, we saw some of all of that. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_chiefs_have_a_serious_need_for_ljarius_sneed_heading_into_this_season/s1_16631_35557091

DC Spagnuolo had some comments about the CB situation generally. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/06/kansas-city-chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-cb-competition-depth-rashad-fenton-deandre-baker-mike-hughes/

Spagnuolo talked about Sneed's transition to a hybrid nickel-outside role.

He’s handled it really well. If you guys remember, last year he was outside at the beginning, got hurt, and when we brought him back, we wanted to get the best 11.

Choosing the best eleven will be tough because of what Baker and Hughes are showing.

I really like watching the guys that haven’t been here (in camp) before. Mike (Hughes), and I know DeAndre Baker has been here before, but he hasn’t been out there a lot because of the injury. So, it’s all coming together. It’s going to take a while. We’re early in the process, but happy with the way those guys are working.

J

This is a bit on HC Reid's philosophy of training--competition not fighting.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/5/22611615/in-training-camp-andy-reid-likes-to-breed-competition-not-fights

The daily quick takes from day #9. It was a light day unless you happen to be Tyrann Mathieu because that's the way he is. Yasir Durant played with the second team at RG, Rashad Fenton joined the CB rotation, Nick Bolton may be moving up the depth chart.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-takeaways-day-9/

Edited by onejayhawk

I hope they stick with Nnadi starting.   He’s not flashy, but he is a good starter at 1T,   Reed is much better at 3T anyways.    Leave Wharton as a reserve to come in with some juice.  Similar to a 6th man in basketball,  it may benefit the team more if he isn’t starting.   Albeit his snap count should be right with Nnadi.    DL can definitely mix a ton of different personnel and formations this year. 

I think the CB has been a concern for the analysts every year for awhile now,  and it has yet to be an issue.   Spags has always been involved with the DB room,  he knows what he wants and knows how to call a game with the personnel he’s given.    Never worry about the DB room with him as DC.      

Edited by samsel23

I think Wharton has already passed Nnadi in the staff's estimation. Yes, Nnadi is the team's best 1-tech, but the pair of Reed and Jones or Reed and Wharton is going to generate more push upfield. That said, we may see a fair amount of Nnadi and Saunders if Jones and Wharton play much DE. Spags likes to stir the pot.

concerning CB, Ward is an UDFA out of a junior college. He has never gotten much respect, though I suspect the Cowboys would give a fair amount to get him back. Sneed is a third day pick from an off-brand school and a short rookie season. Fenton is a 6th rounder. Hughes and Baker are both considered draft mistakes. There are a lot of nits to pick with the Chiefs CB. All they do is play football. This year they'll have Thornhill to make them look good. We may see more press coverage. Hughes, Baker and Sneed are all reputed to be good at it.

In other news, STC Toub has spoke with media. To my surprise, Hardman will continue at PR, with Pringle taking over KR. BoPete Keyes, Jody Fortson, and Devon Key names to watch next week in the preseason game.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/06/kansas-city-chiefs-special-teams-dave-toub-starters-marcus-kemp-byron-pringle-mecole-hardman-bopete-keyes/

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Wharton isn’t good enough against the run to start.  Just my opinion,  he gets eaten up on run plays.  And leaves Reed double teamed at 1T.   Leaving our young LB’s to get swallowed up.    Push doesn’t do anything if teams are getting 4-5 yards a pop on the ground.    I think he plays the same amount of plays as Nnadi, not dissing him at all.  Just doesn’t make sense to push Reed away from his best position, along with taking your best pass rusher off the bench, which you have a very capable player of letting both those guys excel at what they do best.    Let Nnadi handle the double teams as a starter,  Wharton can bring the heat in odd packages.       If Wharton continues to improve,  we have our starting 3T next year.  He needs to show better against the run before I take Nnadi out and move Reed.  

53 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Wharton isn’t good enough against the run to start.  Just my opinion,  he gets eaten up on run plays.  And leaves Reed double teamed at 1T.   Leaving our young LB’s to get swallowed up.    Push doesn’t do anything if teams are getting 4-5 yards a pop on the ground.    I think he plays the same amount of plays as Nnadi, not dissing him at all.  Just doesn’t make sense to push Reed away from his best position, along with taking your best pass rusher off the bench, which you have a very capable player of letting both those guys excel at what they do best.    Let Nnadi handle the double teams as a starter,  Wharton can bring the heat in odd packages.       If Wharton continues to improve,  we have our starting 3T next year.  He needs to show better against the run before I take Nnadi out and move Reed.  

Wharton already is our 3-tech whenever Jones is DE. Reed plays the 1-tech. Of course there will be occasions where Jones is 3-tech and Wharton is DE. Spags loves that sort of switching. Whether taht makes him the starter is unclear. 

Nnadi is the short yardage guy, along with Reed playing 3-tech. This is also where Danna plays since he excels against the run. Wharton plays 1st and 10 over Nnadi.