Official Training Camp Thread - Starts 7/24!

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Is Jordan Whitehead the biggest 5-10 safety of all time? The guy looks huge in the training camp clips. I was absolutely floored to find out he is under 6 feet

He's built like a brick ****house. And he's even bigger this year than he was last year.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's built like a brick ****house. And he's even bigger this year than he was last year.

Bob Sanders was pretty jacked up back in the day for Indy.  I do fear Whitehead s style of play,  his body is going to break down quickly.

From a production standpoint, he deserves a healthy compensation on a 2nd contract.  I kind of hope the Bucs pass for the above reason.  Also, "In Bowles I trust" in relation to help evaluate the safety position college prospects with his time in NY and Tampa.

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Bob Sanders was pretty jacked up back in the day for Indy.  I do fear Whitehead s style of play,  his body is going to break down quickly.

From a production standpoint, he deserves a healthy compensation on a 2nd contract.  I kind of hope the Bucs pass for the above reason.  Also, "In Bowles I trust" in relation to help evaluate the safety position college prospects with his time in NY and Tampa.

Bob Sanders was always looking for that big hit and not nearly big enough to do it. Didn't help he was made of glass.

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Bob Sanders was always looking for that big hit and not nearly big enough to do it. Didn't help he was made of glass.

Well, Sanders was listed at 206 and Whitehead 198.  Let s just assume both of these guys are within 15 lbs of each other either way.  During Sanders career, the NFL still allowed safeties to lay the hammer.  Smaller safeties like Whithead are saved from themselves because they would be fined and suspended out of the league.

I like Whitehead and want him to get paid, just not by the Bucs.  He will never get near the individual accolades Sanders accumulated during his career.  

After this yr, depth chart will still have Winfield, Edwards, and Hagan before the draft.

12 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Whitehead has been a steal 

Gotten better each year and plays hard

Wish we could pay him but we have way too many ppl to pay on the horizon

Yeah for sure. 4th round guy who has been rock solid for the most part. Not really a good cover guy but he usually in position to make a play on the ball. He’s a great run supporter downhill and tremendous tackling technique. Hope we resign him and keep him around with Edwards and AWJ. That 3 safety package took the Chiefs out the game coverage wise.

I'm kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum here with Whitehead. In one sense, he's improved his game immensely over the last 1-2 years. He's not just a tackling machine, but now is a guy who actively creates turnovers with the forced fumbles.

However, he's still a liability in coverage more often than not and is relegated to that 'box safety' type. These guys just aren't that valuable anymore and their high points in their careers tend to be short lived. A perfect example of this type is a guy we had on our roster recently (Deone Buchanan). He was an all world guy for 1-2 years in that role and then he was gone. 

I don't think I want to hand out another contract to Whitehead based on this. I just don't think you're going to get that ROI. I'd rather put that extra money towards the guys we need to extend (Godwin, Vea, White). I can find a replacement box safety in the middle-late rounds of the draft. 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum here with Whitehead. In one sense, he's improved his game immensely over the last 1-2 years. He's not just a tackling machine, but now is a guy who actively creates turnovers with the forced fumbles.

However, he's still a liability in coverage more often than not and is relegated to that 'box safety' type. These guys just aren't that valuable anymore and their high points in their careers tend to be short lived. A perfect example of this type is a guy we had on our roster recently (Deone Buchanan). He was an all world guy for 1-2 years in that role and then he was gone. 

I don't think I want to hand out another contract to Whitehead based on this. I just don't think you're going to get that ROI. I'd rather put that extra money towards the guys we need to extend (Godwin, Vea, White). I can find a replacement box safety in the middle-late rounds of the draft. 

no i agree with you, we shouldnt give Whitehead another contract unless its a contract that is good for us

i just appreciate how he has developed as a 4th rounder, that i didnt have a clue about when we drafted him

he is a valuable guy for us and imo he is underrated in coverage, but he's still average, but he makes up for it with his in the box qualities and big hits/big plays

its not like the league has a lot of great coverage safeties these days anyway, those are rare

but with Godwin, Vea, White, Wirfs on the Horizon, we are going to need all the salary cap we can get