Jordan Hicks reportedly ruptured Achilles

Phire

Losing Hicks definitely hurts, but he did not have an exceptional season. Kendricks (if healthy) can fill in nicely ( I was all in on not trading him), if not hurt himself. :)But we need someone not named Goode to provide some depth. 

2 hours ago, furti said:

Losing Hicks definitely hurts, but he did not have an exceptional season. Kendricks (if healthy) can fill in nicely ( I was all in on not trading him), if not hurt himself. :)But we need someone not named Goode to provide some depth. 

I have to disagree.  Hicks' play has been very good but just as important, he does a lot of things that don't always get noticed. He's the one making sure everyone is aligned properly and through the first 6 games, we've never seen a blown coverage from our LBs like we saw several times already against the Redskins.  Losing him is definitely a significant loss for our defense.  Kendricks has been great this season and is a talented guy, he'll be an adequate replacement, but he does't have the football IQ or coverage skills that Hicks does.

I'm nervous losing both him and Peters.  We've done well thus far overcoming injuries but now we've lost lost arguably 3 of our top 10 players between Hicks, Peters and Sproles.

10 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I have to disagree.  Hicks' play has been very good but just as important, he does a lot of things that don't always get noticed. He's the one making sure everyone is aligned properly and through the first 6 games, we've never seen a blown coverage from our LBs like we saw several times already against the Redskins.  Losing him is definitely a significant loss for our defense.  Kendricks has been great this season and is a talented guy, he'll be an adequate replacement, but he does't have the football IQ or coverage skills that Hicks does.

I'm nervous losing both him and Peters.  We've done well thus far overcoming injuries but now we've lost lost arguably 3 of our top 10 players between Hicks, Peters and Sproles.

Obviously the team got worse, without question. I am pretty sure he is going to be missed. He was getting the calls and he was making sure the team is in the proper formation/coverage. 

However, what I meant, is his current production can be replaced. He played 5 full games, and outside of one fumble recovery I can recall (and maybe one sack that was negated by a penalty), he did not have any huge plays. Just checking on the stat sheet, Kendricks has 8 more tackles, 2 TFL, 3 PDs and 1 sack, while Hicks was not the playmaker we got used to. I love the guy, he has a knack for the football, has a really high football IQ, but he was never a tackling machine and generally was much stronger against the pass. 

And if Bradham is just a tad smarter than what he proved when he was carrying a gun to the airport, then the team should be fine from an alignment perspective. At least I hope so. 

1 minute ago, furti said:

Obviously the team got worse, without question. I am pretty sure he is going to be missed. He was getting the calls and he was making sure the team is in the proper formation/coverage. 

However, what I meant, is his current production can be replaced. He played 5 full games, and outside of one fumble recovery I can recall (and maybe one sack that was negated by a penalty), he did not have any huge plays. Just checking on the stat sheet, Kendricks has 8 more tackles, 2 TFL, 3 PDs and 1 sack, while Hicks was not the playmaker we got used to. I love the guy, he has a knack for the football, has a really high football IQ, but he was never a tackling machine and generally was much stronger against the pass. 

And if Bradham is just a tad smarter than what he proved when he was carrying a gun to the airport, then the team should be fine from an alignment perspective. At least I hope so. 

Yeah, we will see.  Hoping for the best obviously.  

He definitely hasn't stuffed the stat sheet as much as he did the previous two seasons. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a PD, it feels like he has a few, but maybe I'm mistaken.   But there's definitely a benefit to have him in the middle and Kendricks on the outside free to make some splash plays as he has.  

Cant look merely at stats. Fletcher Cox and Jernigan dont get monster tackle totals but we know theyre doing their job.

Hicks was part of the #1 rush defense as MLB. we have to assume its a big loss until we see the replacements sustain

13 minutes ago, Phire said:

Cant look merely at stats. Fletcher Cox and Jernigan dont get monster tackle totals but we know theyre doing their job.

Hicks was part of the #1 rush defense as MLB. we have to assume its a big loss until we see the replacements sustain

Yeah, sure, stats don't tell the truth, you always need the context. But Jernigan has 6 (!!!) TFLs already. And the d-line is playing extremely well as well, just like the LBs. And Hicks definitely had a huge role too. 

I think the Bradham - Kendricks duo should not be that much worse than the Hicks - Bradham duo. If Kendricks cannot play, or if his level of play drops, we are in trouble. 

7 minutes ago, furti said:

Yeah, sure, stats don't tell the truth, you always need the context. But Jernigan has 6 (!!!) TFLs already. And the d-line is playing extremely well as well, just like the LBs. And Hicks definitely had a huge role too. 

I think the Bradham - Kendricks duo should not be that much worse than the Hicks - Bradham duo. If Kendricks cannot play, or if his level of play drops, we are in trouble. 

I think Nigel and Mychal can hold down the fort too. But depth is getting real thin. Pederson's already talking about a rotation at MLB.

Archived