Tom Brady's worst season

biggie.

Which season was Tom Brady's worst?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. 2013, 2019 or other?

• Other

On 7/27/2021 at 4:08 AM, Jakuvious said:

I honestly don't see how anyone can argue anything from the last decade. Prime and veteran Brady at his worst is still a well-oiled machine compared to what he was those first 5 or 6 years he started. I'm sure 2019 Brady is probably the worst statistically, when compared to peers. But no one can convince me that you're better off with a 2002ish version of Tom Brady than the 2019 model.

2001-2003 was definitely the worst stretch. 2004 he started to become of the top 3-5 QBs and by 2007 he was the best along with Manning. He definitely started very slow and did not hit his prime until he was 30. 2019 Brady was slightly worse than usual but it was really hard to evaluate due to throwing to Edelman, Sanu, Harry etc. Young Brady would likely have more picks than touchdown in 2019 imo.

2001-2003 top 15 in EPA/play

2004-2006 top 3 in EPA/play

2007-present 1st or 2nd (depending one minimum plays) in EPA/play

2001 or 2002 can only be the right answer.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:11 AM, BayRaider said:

Ehhh. Neither. 2019 he had his worst offense of all time, just an absolute horrendous offensive roster from top to bottom.

His worst seasons were probably:

1) 2002

2) 2013

3) 2009

And 2009 he wasn't even bad, and it especially doesn't look bad stat wise. He just looked super rusty, did not look like his usual self in a lot of games, and played at a lower level. 

The Patriots were like 11th in offensive DVOA with that roster. That is impressive. I mean, succeeding with Newhouse as your left tackle and Sanu as your 2nd WR is basically impossible. Plus the TE ****show. 2009 he was actually good, lots of tough luck though. 2013 was another year of mediocre to bad weapons. Hernandez was obviously gone at that point, Welker left, Gronk was injured. 

Any team that loses their top 3 weapons will struggle. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

2009 was probably his worst year. Kind of the low point between the two peaks of the dynasty. 

I would take that version over any from 01-03 and possibly up until 06. 

but he wasn’t great.

and it’s unfortunate that the ACL injury robbed him off 2 special seasons and still to this day I believe the Patriots would have won the SB in 08.

• Like 1

Definitely 2019

Raw numbers in his early years were obviously lower, but it was a different game and there was no question he was a top QB from '01-'06.

Some of the years people have mentioned and Brady's ranks in a few categories: 

2002: 1st in TD, 6th in yards, 9th in rating

2003: 10th in TD, 6th in yards, 10th in rating 

2004: 6th in TD, 10th in yards, 9th in rating 

2009: 6th in TD, 5th in yards, 9th in rating  

Compare that to 2013 and 2019: 

2013: 11th in TD, 6th in yards, 17th in rating

2019: 13th in TD, 7th in yards, 18th in rating 

In the case of 2013 I don't think the numbers tell the whole story, the Pats offense was still very productive led by Brady.  

The 2019 offense was anemic.  It was really the first time people could make a non-hater argument that TB12 wasn't a top tier QB anymore.  Obviously, as the MoL said at the time and has been proven right, it was more of a bad situation than anything Brady was doing wrong.  But it was definitely his worst year.

• Like 1

But if the question is what year did Brady personally play at the lowest level, probably 2001 for obvious reasons or 2009 with the post-ACL rust.  Although I don't think 2019 is too far behind.  He was disgruntled and pissed off about the lack of weapons and at times let his foot off the gas.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:13 AM, SBLIII said:

I would take that version over any from 01-03 and possibly up until 06. 

but he wasn’t great.

and it’s unfortunate that the ACL injury robbed him off 2 special seasons and still to this day I believe the Patriots would have won the SB in 08.

The difference is he probably had his worst receiving groups in that 01-03 era until he got Branch firing on all cylinders. 

09 he had Welker and Moss.