2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't really think any of them have star potential to be honest. 

I think Chet can be a good rim protecting/floor stretching big but he struggled to score in the half court in the WCC and I have questions about his frame/durability long term.

Jabari Smith will probably be like a Harrison Barnes+ but I just don't think he has the ability to create his own at a rate to be a star.

Paolo will put up stats but so did guys like Tobias, Blake, and Randle, think he falls into that tier of player.

TBH, I didn't see Tatum, Devin Booker, Giannis, Zach Lavine, Kawhi Leonard, Don Mitchell etc being stars either.  All had holes in their games and improved to become stars but nobody said they were stars on draft night.  Its hard to identify the stars but I think there are about 10-12 guys in this draft that could get there.  1 or 2 probably will reach that point.  

Chet IMO was used incorrectly at Gonzaga.  He was used as a true C and #2 option to Timme and should be more of a free roaming 4 that can initiate the plays.  If used right, and if his body develops a little, he can be a star.  I think Ivey, Sharpe, and Griffin all have that chance as well.  Jalen Duren could too with a little coaching could turn into a Bam.  Then there are a few wild cards in there like Murray Mathurin, Branham, Dyson, etc that could be too with a couple years of seasoning.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

TBH, I didn't see Tatum, Devin Booker, Giannis, Zach Lavine, Kawhi Leonard, Don Mitchell etc being stars either.  All had holes in their games and improved to become stars but nobody said they were stars on draft night.  Its hard to identify the stars but I think there are about 10-12 guys in this draft that could get there.  1 or 2 probably will reach that point.  

Chet IMO was used incorrectly at Gonzaga.  He was used as a true C and #2 option to Timme and should be more of a free roaming 4 that can initiate the plays.  If used right, and if his body develops a little, he can be a star.  I think Ivey, Sharpe, and Griffin all have that chance as well.  Jalen Duren could too with a little coaching could turn into a Bam.  Then there are a few wild cards in there like Murray Mathurin, Branham, Dyson, etc that could be too with a couple years of seasoning.  

The common denominator between all of those guys though is that they're perimeter players who can create their own offense. Most of those guys other than LaVine and Booker kind of, went into great situations and LaVine has/had unreal top tier athleticism. 

If I had to bet on the guys in the draft that aren't the top 3 who could become "stars" I'd probably take Jaden Ivey, AJ Griffin, Shaedon Sharpe, and Ousmane Dieng. 

Also it was reported that the Rockets view Daishen Nix as a top 10 pick in this draft basically meaning they are real high on him.  It would make no sense to take Ivey at 3.  Thats why I think the Ivey stuff is a smokescreen.   It's Jabari/Chet/Banchero or bust.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

For a guy his size is the key phrase here. They said the same thing about Julius Randle. They both have similar issues with their shots, where their touch is **** lol. Banchero's going to be a pro, for sure, but I don't see a star. Not unless you consider Julius Randle a star and...well...we all know how I've felt, since the get go, about Julius Randle. Mind you, I'm not saying he does the same stuff as Randle, just saying that's the type of efficiency/impact you're looking at when you are discussing Banchero.

I think Paolo is more athletic and better in the post but watching him at Duke he reminded me of Jabari Parker. Like he was just able to get buckets because he had a solid post game and his handle made it super tough for college bigs to defend him. And I'm the biggest Duke homer ever, I compare his game to Tobias/Blake and said that he'll have a Julius Randle type of impact. A player that can put up numbers on a high volume of touches but not someone that's gonna contribute to winning that much.

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Also it was reported that the Rockets view Daishen Nix as a top 10 pick in this draft basically meaning they are real high on him.  It would make no sense to take Ivey at 3.  Thats why I think the Ivey stuff is a smokescreen.   It's Jabari/Chet/Banchero or bust.

Nix was boo boo in the G-League last season. An undrafted player that played sparingly for you guys last season isn't going to play a factor in who you draft. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think Paolo is more athletic and better in the post but watching him at Duke he reminded me of Jabari Parker. Like he was just able to get buckets because he had a solid post game and his handle made it super tough for college bigs to defend him. And I'm the biggest Duke homer ever, I compare his game to Tobias/Blake and said that he'll have a Julius Randle type of impact. A player that can put up numbers on a high volume of touches but not someone that's gonna contribute to winning that much.

Which is exactly what I see. He needs to be better off the ball if he's ever going to be a positive impact player. I don't mind the kid but he's the type of player I'm trying to avoid unless it's like mid-to-late lottery and you feel like you can afford to shoot the moon. 

5 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Viewing Nix as a top 10 pick in this draft class is the reason why you should want Stone fired, not considering Jaden Ivey lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Which is exactly what I see. He needs to be better off the ball if he's ever going to be a positive impact player. I don't mind the kid but he's the type of player I'm trying to avoid unless it's like mid-to-late lottery and you feel like you can afford to shoot the moon. 

Agreed. I'd take AJ Griffin over him without even a second of hesitation. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Nix was boo boo in the G-League last season. An undrafted player that played sparingly for you guys last season isn't going to play a factor in who you draft. 

except he really wasnt. He averaged 20 a game off 50 percent shooting including 40 percent from 3.  Thats pretty damn impressive considering one of the main knocks with him was shooting. 

Edited by Texansfan713

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yep. If your doctors give him a clean bill of health, it shouldn't even be a question.

Yeah Griffin was inconsistent but he just really hasn't played all that much. Injuries are a concern but he's the prototypical wing you'd want to mold in the current NBA.

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

except he really wasnt. He averaged 20 a game off 48 percent shooting including 40 percent from 3.  Thats pretty damn impressive considering one of the main knocks with him was shooting. 

He averaged 16 on 40/33/56 splits...