2021 Family Night Thread

Brat&Beer

The least surprising thing here is everyone overreacting to a choice snippet of Gute's remarks. If you listened to the whole response or read the full transcript, you'd see he also said the following:

“We’ve addressed it with Devin. He knows it’s unacceptable. I do think he’s sincerely remorseful and will hopefully learn from this. He will, and hopefully our team can learn from this and we’ll move forward."

In other words, he's making it known that such comments are unacceptable and can't be repeated. Like @packfanfbsaid, unless Funchess decides to double down and use another slur, this will have zero bearing on his roster status.

The only people still dwelling on this either aren't paying close enough attention, are only trying to make a cheap political argument, or both.

• Like 2

Zach Kruse -    I think we all thought the TE position was going to be an easy one to figure out on the 53, but I think Isaac Nauta is giving himself a real chance to make it. He's definitely made the most of Deguara/Dafney being out. Looked good during Family Night.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -    I think we all thought the TE position was going to be an easy one to figure out on the 53, but I think Isaac Nauta is giving himself a real chance to make it. He's definitely made the most of Deguara/Dafney being out. Looked good during Family Night.

Yup, this was noticeable from practice. Nauta was getting some snaps with the 1s. Probably an uphill battle given our depth at the position but Stern's suspension and Dafney's injury have opened the door. 

Speaking of Nauta, he's an interesting case study. Guy was a 5-star recruit (top 20 in the nation) who chose Georgia over Alabama and Michigan. Didn't have a ton of production at UGA. His best season was 30 rec/430 yards, but here are some interesting rankings: 

He had an 86-percent completion percentage (2nd best in tight end class), average 12.3-yards per target (2nd), average 2-yards per route run (7th), a 3.2-percent drop rate (3rd best) and a 76.3 run blocking grade from Pro Football Focus (2nd).

Was predicted to be mid-Day 3 draft pick and then bombed the combine (RAS 1.57). Lions still picked him in the 7th round in the 2019 draft. 

I've kinda wondered who'd provide the blocking-function that Lewis is asked to do if he got injured, or a year out if Lewis ever retires.  Perhaps Nauta might be that guy?  Whether he'd make the 53 I don't know, but plenty of room on the 69?  Perhaps like Lewis very slow and rarely/never an intended target; stress no defense as a receiver; but good enough hands so that *IF* a defense forgets to cover him altogether, he can catch a pass once in a while?