2021 Family Night Thread

Brat&Beer

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If it were just those 10 words you would be correct. IMO, there are so many people who are looking to be offended and if you use the wrong pronoun now you are in trouble. 

What Funchess said wasn't good. Not defending it, but we have to stop with the grievance culture in general. 

It's literally the equivalent of the N word for people of Chinese heritage. I don't think Funchess is necessarily a bad dude for saying it and he probably just needs to get educated, but come on people. It isn't "cancel culture" to ask people not to use ethnic slurs, especially after the abuse Asian-Americans have faced the past year.

• Like 4

Paul Bretl -   Depending on how many roster spots the Green Bay Packers want to devote to the cornerback position and how things shake out on the back-end, there is for sure at least one spot up for grabs and possibly two.

Battling for that final spot or two are Josh Jackson, Ka’dar Hollman, Standford Samuels, and Kabion Ento–who continues to make a roster push with a strong showing at the Packers annual Family Night practice.

Ento signed as an undrafted rookie during the 2019 season with the Green Bay Packers as a cornerback even though he played wide receiver during his time in college at Colorado. That first summer, he made a few highlight plays during training camp, but as expected, he was stashed on the practice squad that year to continue developing his cornerback skill-set–he was still brand new to the position, after all.

Although we didn’t get to see Ento last season, as I’ve mentioned in the past, Green Bay wanting to have the option to bring him back and potentially have him contribute speaks volumes about what they think of the young cornerback.

///

This guy came to my attention by the comments of other Packer beat writers in that he's a hitter who brings it when he tackles  -  qualities our secondary could use more of IMO. Cant say I remember seeing him play any, so his coverage skills are a complete unknown to me at this point - but thats what they have preseason games for no? :)

Edited by Leader

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

100% agree.  I'm just not sure whether the team is willing to carry 6 WR's, and that's what it will take for Funchess to make the roster.  Has Funchess been playing on any of the ST units?

I have Funch and Lazard fighting for that last spot.  I think I'd take Funch over Lazard because he's just more physically gifted and he's still very young, and he also played in a SB. 

I can imagine how good he would've been playing with Rodgers instead of an inaccurate Qb like Newton.

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

It's literally the equivalent of the N word for people of Chinese heritage. I don't think Funchess is necessarily a bad dude for saying it and he probably just needs to get educated, but come on people. It isn't "cancel culture" to ask people not to use ethnic slurs, especially after the abuse Asian-Americans have faced the past year.

Seriously.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I have Funch and Lazard fighting for that last spot.  I think I'd take Funch over Lazard because he's just more physically gifted and he's still very young, and he also played in a SB. 

I can imagine how good he would've been playing with Rodgers instead of an inaccurate Qb like Newton.

I'd be shocked if Lazard wasn't on the team tbh. 

Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Funchess, Winfree - have Winfree on teams, figure the rest out later. 

Cobb is really the odd man out here if we were being honest, but I’m not going to argue with the GM (aaron rodgers) 

I know 7 WRs is unusual, and redundant in this offense, but it is what it is. 

Edited by Isherwood
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Funchess, Winfree - have Winfree on teams, figure the rest out later. 

Cobb is really the odd man out here if we were being honest, but I’m not going to argue with the GM (aaron rodgers) 

Wouldn't be surprised if they went with 7.  Special teams is a factor, but you also have to look at 2022 and the potential departure of some of them.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Poor Cobb. I have to give the man credit, he's so positive in his interviews while knowing full well that the true GM doesn't want him here, and admitted publicity that fact. It takes a man with a lot of humility to not be offended and still smile and be positive every day in camp.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

From a football standpoint, Funchess was easily one of the standouts. I know he’s a savvy veteran who’s been around the block, but I was surprised at just how light and quick he looked. I hope he makes the team, because I think he gives you another savvy target you may have been missing last year. 

Definitely think he should make the team.  The guy that shouldn't make the team is probably Cobb.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Poor Cobb. I have to give the man credit, he's so positive in his interviews while knowing full well that the true GM doesn't want him here, and admitted publicity that fact. It takes a man with a lot of humility to not be offended and still smile and be positive every day in camp.

Cobb is a lock.  They arent going to go through what they just went through to cut Cobb.  Hes got good value for this team just in getting Rodgers back letting Love develop this year.  Cobb is dependable and Rodgers looks to him when hes in trouble.  

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1