Preseason Week 1: Eagles vs Steelers

Danger

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I feel like the back-up offense is gonna be really tough to watch, so I really hope we see good things from the starters.

Back-up defense was just as bad of a watch. I was pretty accurate with this though. Glad our first team showed up well for the most part in the 1st half in limited playing time. I

I think there is good things we can take away from this one and hopefully we avoided any serious injuries. It seemed like we did anyways, but obviously have to wait to hear from the team.

I just looked at the box score.

Steelers had to make 32 total tackles this game.

Eagles had to make 85... lmao. Not great.

Lots of LBs and safeties had to bring guys down a lot of the time down the field as the Steelers were running it on us especially in that 2nd half.

Countess S - 7 tackles

Epps S - 7 tackles

Singleton LB - 7 tackles

Bradley LB - 7 tackles

Smith LB - 7 tackles

Edwards LB - 6 tackles

Johnson LB - 6 tackles

You know Jonathan Gannon is definitely gonna get on the defense in meetings for that 2nd half. 

Sirianni just said he thought we had a crisp first half and sloppy 2nd half. 

Watching a replay of highlights and on that play where Ertz dropped it over the middle I thought Reagor ran a nice route there too. Took an inside release on a comeback and got even or a little ahead of his corner and quickly planted to complete the comeback and there was good separation.

It's not like Hurts made the wrong decision. Ertz got separation on his comeback as well, but just dropped the pass when it got there.

Watching Jalen Hurts press conference and they asked about the missed opportunity to Quez when he got behind his defender deep and the pass was just a little too far. Hurts kind said that yeah I wish I was able to get a 98 yard TD to Quez.

But, then he made a remark to the media that he was thinking something to himself before he came up there for the interview and that was "He's not a secret anymore" talking about Quez. 

First play Eric Wilson gets blocked by a Steelers OL working their way to the 2nd level.

Third play Eric Wilson attacks downhill quickly, but tries to arm tackle the RB who breaks free easy.

Fifth play Eric Wilson thinks the run is heading outside and heads that way and gets blocked pretty quickly by Eric Ebron at the second level and pushed towards the sideline. Taken completely out of the play. Najee runs right up the middle for a big gain but luckily got called back by a hold.

Next play Wilson triggers downhill after a short catch to bring the receiver down for a small gain. First solid play I guess?

After that him and Singleton both fire down on a run, but looks like Wilson just fell off the tackle if he was in on it and Singleton held on to stop it for another small gain to force 3rd & long.

Not really a great first drive/impression for Wilson.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Workaholics GIF

Reporter: When Joe checked to that play did you think it had chance to work right away?

Watkins: As soon as he checked it we saw the nickel (corner over Quez) getting ready to blitz and I just kinda started smiling a little bit.

Reporter: Did you think about throwing up the peace sign this time?

Watkins: Nah cause I ain't trying to get that fine. *laughs* I don't want that.

Obviously Watkins gets all the shine for running it to the house, but really Flacco, Rodgers, Reagor, and even Brett Toth deserve a lot of credit for that play. They made it happen for him.

Flacco for checking to the right play after seeing something.

Reagor for doing a good job holding his block of the outside corner above Watkins for a good amount of time. But, I will admit he should've let go earlier cause the DB tried to turn and throw up his hands to get the call and it could've went the other way. Gotta be smart and know when you've done your job. That corner probably wasn't gonna catch up anyways if he let go a little earlier. Glad nothing ticky tack was called there cause that was an awesome play and Reagor would be getting a ton of crap lol.

Rodgers for doing a great job getting over to the safety that was triggering downhill on Quez and blocking him to open the runway.

Then, finally Brett Toth for getting out in space and walling off the LB too.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Obviously Watkins gets all the shine for running it to the house, but really Flacco, Rodgers, Reagor, and even Brett Toth deserve a lot of credit for that play. They made it happen for him.

Flacco for checking to the right play after seeing something.

Reagor for doing a good job holding his block of the outside corner above Watkins for a good amount of time. But, I will admit he should've let go earlier cause the DB tried to turn and throw up his hands to get the call and it could've went the other way. Gotta be smart and know when you've done your job. That corner probably wasn't gonna catch up anyways if he let go a little earlier. Glad nothing ticky tack was called there cause that was an awesome play and Reagor would be getting a ton of crap lol.

Rodgers for doing a great job getting over to the safety that was triggering downhill on Quez and blocking him to open the runway.

Then, finally Brett Toth for getting out in space and walling off the LB too.

I’m glad for two things

1) We have Coaches who are building an offense with built in options to attack a defense. 

2) We have two QBs on the roster this year who seem like they are smart enough to read the defense and call those audibles/hot reads.

I don’t think the post Frank scheming was very good and Carson would never seem to read a defense all that well the last two years

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I’m glad for two things

1) We have Coaches who are building an offense with built in options to attack a defense. 

2) We have two QBs on the roster this year who seem like they are smart enough to read the defense and call those audibles/hot reads.

I don’t think the post Frank scheming was very good and Carson would never seem to read a defense all that well the last two years

Also, coaches who are willing to adapt and play to their players strengths.

But, agreed... I think our offense was much more varied while Reich and DeFilippo (he had input too) were still here. Glad we reached for someone under Reich. We'll also see what Reich is able to bring out of Carson soon enough though. If he's able to turn him around in one offseason that is gonna make Pederson and Taylor look bad.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy