Jaguars trade Minshew to Philly

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So why was GM splitting snaps with Trevor? 

Buddy ended up sucking…

Like I get the frustration for letting it go as long as they did, but I’m also happy they didn’t just hand the keys to the starting gig “just because”. Minshew got benched last year in favor for Mike Glennon by a HC that needed to win to keep his job. He has looked similarly awful this preseason and the offense has hummed (yes, against 3rd stringers) when Beathard has came in. He also unfortunately was the only one on the roster you could conceivably use as “competition” to make Trevor earn it without it being obviously fake.

I didn’t think they’d actually do it but give me Beathard over Minshew as a backup. I also assume this means they didn’t want to keep 3 QBs on the active roster.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Buddy ended up sucking…

Like I get the frustration for letting it go as long as they did, but I’m also happy they didn’t just hand the keys to the starting gig “just because”. Minshew got benched last year in favor for Mike Glennon by a HC that needed to win to keep his job. He has looked similarly awful this preseason and the offense has hummed (yes, against 3rd stringers) when Beathard has came in. He also unfortunately was the only one on the roster you could conceivably use as “competition” to make Trevor earn it without it being obviously fake.

I didn’t think they’d actually do it but give me Beathard over Minshew as a backup. I also assume this means they didn’t want to keep 3 QBs on the active roster.

Look, at this point this is no longer a productive thing to even debate because of how little it matters, but to be clear: Minshew was benched by a lame duck coach who was looking to make a point. I think a decent argument can be made that his benching was warranted because of him not properly disclosing his injury, but Glennon was not played because he was the better QB or because he was giving us a better chance to win.

Minshew and Beathard are also both known commodities at this point, and Minshew is the better QB, regardless of his performance in 2 preseason games. The difference between the 2 is that one had trade value and the other didn’t. And neither are good enough to step in and steer the ship in the event of an injury to Lawrence. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Look, at this point this is no longer a productive thing to even debate because of how little it matters, but to be clear: Minshew was benched by a lame duck coach who was looking to make a point. I think a decent argument can be made that his benching was warranted because of him not properly disclosing his injury, but Glennon was not played because he was the better QB or because he was giving us a better chance to win.

Minshew and Beathard are also both known commodities at this point, and Minshew is the better QB, regardless of his performance in 2 preseason games. The difference between the 2 is that one had trade value and the other didn’t. And neither are good enough to step in and steer the ship in the event of an injury to Lawrence. 

Minshew literally gave us no chance to win games last year IMO. So we’re just going to have to agree to disagree on the former. Not that I think the coaches thought Glennon is better per se, but once teams figured out all you need to do is keep Minshew in the pocket he’s been literal cheeks imo. We saw that year 1 when NO figured that out and then pretty much everyone we played last year. Glennon at least have you the prototypical drop back QB looks that could make some interesting throws in a conventional setting.

As far as the latter I think that’s just upside speaking, which even then is limited. Beathard is obviously meh but again, a guy who’s been around the block and likely can come in for a pinch without having to drastically alter how you play is sometimes a lot more ideal to have from a personnel perspective.

23 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Minshew and Beathard are also both known commodities at this point, and Minshew is the better QB, regardless of his performance in 2 preseason games. 

I'm not sure we know this is absolutely true.

Over their last two seasons of playing, here's some comparisons. Beathard on the left, Minshew on the right.

Comp%: 61.5, 62.9
TD%: 5.1, 4.6
INT%: 2.6, 1.4
Y/A: 7.5, 6.9
AY/A: 7.3, 7.2
Y/C: 12.1, 11.0
RATE: 90.9, 93.1
NY/A: 6.04, 6.07
ANY/A: 5.92, 6.35

The only difference between the two is that Minshew has thrown fewer Interceptions. But tracking adjusted INTs, Minshew should have had 6 more INTs over the last two years (7 more dropped picks, and he had one tipped pick). And if you factor that in, every one of these stats, except comp%, swings in Beathard's favor. 

15 minutes ago, pwny said:

I'm not sure we know this is absolutely true.

Over their last two seasons of playing, here's some comparisons. Beathard on the left, Minshew on the right.

Comp%: 61.5, 62.9
TD%: 5.1, 4.6
INT%: 2.6, 1.4
Y/A: 7.5, 6.9
AY/A: 7.3, 7.2
Y/C: 12.1, 11.0
RATE: 90.9, 93.1
NY/A: 6.04, 6.07
ANY/A: 5.92, 6.35

The only difference between the two is that Minshew has thrown fewer Interceptions. But tracking adjusted INTs, Minshew should have had 6 more INTs over the last two years (7 more dropped picks, and he had one tipped pick). And if you factor that in, every one of these stats, except comp%, swings in Beathard's favor. 

Also Beathard playing in the most statistically QB friendly offense in the league and Minshew’s sample size being 3x larger…..

6 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Also Beathard playing in the most statistically QB friendly offense in the league and Minshew’s sample size being 3x larger…..

And Gardners stats not mirroring what you’re actually watching.

Grateful for Gardner giving us something fun/unconventional in 2019 but he’s just bad imo.