Fire Tv vs Roku vs Anything else

NickButera

Need some tech help, kind of. We have 2 Roku Premier+ and 2 of last years model Amazon Fire TV's. We stream TV (PS Vue) through these devices and use pretty decent bandwidths, and hence have gigabit internet and our main TV's connected via ethernet cable.  problem is - not any one model fulfills my 3 primary needs: 4k/HDR support, wired ethernet, and the main PS Vue guide/GUI (which is one of the better guide's I've seen)

• Roku: Wired ethernet and 4k/HDR support, but has a horrible PS Vue guide/GUI
  • Fire Tv: Wired ethernet, contains the main PS Vue guide, but no 4k/HDR support
  • New Fire Tv: 4k/HDR support, PS Vue guide, but no wired ethernet

Was thinking about getting the new Amazon fire TV, however it does not come with an Ethernet port, instead opting for a USB adapter. I'm assuming it's USB 2.0, but can't find any technical specs. My question is does anyone know the speed limitations on such a USB Ethernet adapter piece? I can't trust wifi to be consistent over multiple devices even though I have a good router, I've tried, and just never had consistent results. 

P.S- Chromecast doesn't even come close to giving us what we want, so it's out. 

I dunno if it has the PS Vue guide thing, but the Nvidia Shield has everything else, I'd look into that.

Regarding the Wifi issue, unless it's a range issue (big house), your issue will likely be fixed with a dual band router. The USB adapter, while I'm not certain if it is slower than having a built in port (I'd say no), unless you are going to be watching 4K content, it has to be super slow for you to not be able to view any 1080p content without issues.

If you're not using a PS4 for Vue, your best option is Apple TV. It takes an extra click to get to the guide, at least from what I've figured out so far, but it runs just like on the PS otherwise.

I have a Fire Stick and a Roku, but didn't like the way either handled Vue, so I got an Apple TV. 

19 hours ago, NickButera said:

Need some tech help, kind of. We have 2 Roku Premier+ and 2 of last years model Amazon Fire TV's. We stream TV (PS Vue) through these devices and use pretty decent bandwidths, and hence have gigabit internet and our main TV's connected via ethernet cable.  problem is - not any one model fulfills my 3 primary needs: 4k/HDR support, wired ethernet, and the main PS Vue guide/GUI (which is one of the better guide's I've seen)

• Roku: Wired ethernet and 4k/HDR support, but has a horrible PS Vue guide/GUI
  • Fire Tv: Wired ethernet, contains the main PS Vue guide, but no 4k/HDR support
  • New Fire Tv: 4k/HDR support, PS Vue guide, but no wired ethernet

Was thinking about getting the new Amazon fire TV, however it does not come with an Ethernet port, instead opting for a USB adapter. I'm assuming it's USB 2.0, but can't find any technical specs. My question is does anyone know the speed limitations on such a USB Ethernet adapter piece? I can't trust wifi to be consistent over multiple devices even though I have a good router, I've tried, and just never had consistent results. 

P.S- Chromecast doesn't even come close to giving us what we want, so it's out. 

I'd use the Roku and look into Hulu Live TV. The hulu live TV guide is awesome.

5 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I'd use the Roku and look into Hulu Live TV. The hulu live TV guide is awesome.

I get all 4 local broadcasts worth PS Vue (fox/abc/NBC/cbs), Hulu has only one here. It's a deal breaker 

That's interesting though, I tried Hulu live and hated it. The way they mixed live tv and on dand made it very difficult for me to scroll through just live TV and see what was on, which is why I like the ps vue guide so much. 

2 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I get all 4 local broadcasts worth PS Vue (fox/abc/NBC/cbs), Hulu has only one here. It's a deal breaker 

That's interesting though, I tried Hulu live and hated it. The way they mixed live tv and on dand made it very difficult for me to scroll through just live TV and see what was on, which is why I like the ps vue guide so much. 

Fair enough. I use an antenna for live TV. There's a $50 one called a Leaf that's amazing. That makes life much easier. I just use Hulu for on-demand stuff anyway the Live TV option just gives me more updated stuff and includes the CBS stuff that I used to not get.

16 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

why would any tv made these days not have an ethernet connection??? I get having wireless but I prefer a line in for speed.

I have an Ethernet connection on both of my TVs. HOWEVER, both are mounted and the mount for both covers the port up. So I can't do anything about that.

Just now, scar988 said:

I have an Ethernet connection on both of my TVs. HOWEVER, both are mounted and the mount for both covers the port up. So I can't do anything about that.

That's just as bad, the mounts haven't changed, its the same sets of bolt patterns for years. You would think someone would get fired over that, everyone mounts TVs these days.

3 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

That's just as bad, the mounts haven't changed, its the same sets of bolt patterns for years. You would think someone would get fired over that, everyone mounts TVs these days.

I agree that it's just as bad. I just can't do a damn thing about it but use a Roku.

Just get one of these and don't even worry about if it's wired or not

https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC88U-Wireless-AC3100-AiProtection-Complete-Security/dp/B016EWKQAQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509108335&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+router

Or if you don't mind spending the extra money get the AC5300...but unless you have a huge house with like 50 connected devices it's probably overkill

10 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Just get one of these and don't even worry about if it's wired or not

https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC88U-Wireless-AC3100-AiProtection-Complete-Security/dp/B016EWKQAQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509108335&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+router

Or if you don't mind spending the extra money get the AC5300...but unless you have a huge house with like 50 connected devices it's probably overkill

I really wish I could do that.  Tangent, the router/modem AT&T gave me makes it very, very difficult to use another router off of it and get gigabit wireless speeds (or anything remotely close, 200-300mbps) it rendered my current gigabit router useless and I wasn't happy, none of the techs could help me, and I'm not technical enough o figure it out. I'm savvy with tech, but to do it right requires a certain level of expertise that I don't know. 

12 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I really wish I could do that.  Tangent, the router/modem AT&T gave me makes it very, very difficult to use another router off of it and get gigabit wireless speeds (or anything remotely close, 200-300mbps) it rendered my current gigabit router useless and I wasn't happy, none of the techs could help me, and I'm not technical enough o figure it out. I'm savvy with tech, but to do it right requires a certain level of expertise that I don't know. 

That sucks... I'll have to try to avoid at&t i guess.

Archived