MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good is solid but the whole appeal with him is that he's on par with Gabe Jackson with a much smaller cap hit. 

well, on par with the declined version of Gabe that we saw last year. Still amazed that he fell off at a relatively young age. I think he has some bounce-back potential. But I agree his level of play did not justify his salary. Was more upset at letting Hudson go than Jackson

Edited by Turnobili

26 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

kolton hasnt been a standout run blocker, either. think they really depended on Richie to be the bulldozer on the left side. Simpson has a lot of functional strength but hasn't shown the ability to have it consistently translate.

Hudson also wasn't very good in the run game, but I'm not optimistic that James is better. He's probably more athletic at this point in their respective careers, but his play strength always looks underwhelming. Look at some of our goal line reps in the Seahawks preseason game... he got shucked to the ground a couple of times. Happened in his limited regular season appearances too. 

Do agree that Leatherwood will be an improvement to Sam Young/Brandon Parker at RT, though.

What you said about Kolton is true. But if we're being honest left tackles are also not really known for a run blocking either. Thats why having a right tackle that can really run block and is athletic to really seal the edge especially in our outside zone scheme which we run(or at least we want to lol), is half the battle. I think the Leatherwood pick matters in all of this if were talking about run blocking. 

I think that with the James/Hudson run blocking dilemma I'm fine to say we don't know and we're going to find out on Monday night

With Simpson I think a lot was read into the Seattle preseason game. But I actually thought he looked much better and the other two preseason games afterwards. 

Also tape don't lie put together a really good tape of his areas of struggle as a bass blocker but how he improved over time as well as showing his prowess as a run blocker. Check it out for yourself(9:11- 13:45)

And of course this is all assuming Richie incognito(it was one of the best run blockers in the league) doesn't play. This is why I have what i think is good a reason to believe that we will be a better run blocking line then last year

Edited by Jeremy408

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good is solid but the whole appeal with him is that he's on par with Gabe Jackson with a much smaller cap hit. 

Im pretty sure Good is a better run blocker than Gabe jackson. Gabe Jackson may be the better pass blocker though. That I don't know.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

What you said about Kolton is true. But if we're being honest left tackles are also not really known for a run blocking either. Thats why having a right tackle that can really run block and is athletic to really seal the edge especially in our outside zone scheme which we run(or at least we want to lol), is half the battle. I think the Leatherwood pick matters in all of this if were talking about run blocking. 

I think that with the James/Hudson run blocking dilemma I'm fine to say we don't know and we're going to find out on Monday night

With Simpson I think a lot was read into the Seattle preseason game. But I actually thought he looked much better and the other two preseason games afterwards. 

Also tape don't lie put together a really good tape of his areas of struggle as a bass blocker but how he improved over time as well as showing his prowess as a run blocker. Check it out for yourself(9:11- 13:45)

And of course this is all assuming Richie incognito(it was one of the best run blockers in the league) doesn't play. This is why I have what i think is good a reason to believe that we will be a better run blocking line then last year

thats why i think a lot of us were expecting Simpson to beat out Good, but...

4 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

thats why i think a lot of us were expecting Simpson to beat out Good, but...

Actually if you look at before that it shows what Good he's good at also. He is a good run blocker in his own right not the most athletic guard but he knows what he's doing.

And of course you can't beat the price that allowed us to do a little bit more on defense. You got Denzel good KJ wright for gave Jackson's contract and then you get Nate Hobbs for the fifth pick from Seattle that was traded in order to acquire him. 

Edited by Jeremy408

25 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

well, on par with the declined version of Gabe that we saw last year. Still amazed that he fell off at a relatively young age. I think he has some bounce-back potential. But I agree his level of play did not justify his salary. Was more upset at letting Hudson go than Jackson

Hudson didn't play his best football last season but I think people are really underestimating how significant of a downgrade James is, especially as a player with only 1 start. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hudson didn't play his best football last season but I think people are really underestimating how significant of a downgrade James is, especially as a player with only 1 start. 

I think a lot of the downgrade has to do with the obvious experience in terms of all the things that Rodney Hudson seen in terms of looks and blitz packages. That obviously matters especially early in the season. Which is why I said we're going to find out immediately how good Andre James is. Terms of run blocking I can't anticipate Andre James being worse than Rodney Hudson was last year. Again center is not really known for a run blocking in general but I felt like Rodney Hudson was bad even by Center standards

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hudson was still ol reliable when it came not only to pass pro, but making sure he got the right calls/assignments. I worry about Carr getting pressure right in his face if James keeps getting backed into the pocket because of his lack of play strength. He might be better releasing to the second level because he's a better athlete at this point, but yeah, Im not super optimistic about James at all

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Terms of run blocking I can't anticipate Andre James being worse than Rodney Hudson was last year. Again center is not really known for a run blocking in general but I felt like Rodney Hudson was bad even by Center standards

James is tall and light for a center, he's a better athlete than Hudson but that doesn't mean he'll be a better run blocker.