MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar has lit teams up week one in both of the last two seasons, think both teams came in so contain him as a runner it left a lot of guys open. The two best passing games of his career were week 1 last year against Cleveland and week 1 the previous year against Miami, lol.

Ok cool. I don't wanna hear any Marquise Brown excuses on Monday night if Lamar gets clamped then lol

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

At some point it is just to much to overcome.  This team has zero excuses for not winning this game.  They could be playing the local high school team and there should be no let down because it is the first game in front of fans in their new home.  This is setting up to be a perfect storm for us.  It will have to be an Atlanta type meltdown for us to lose.

Professionals at the beginning of the season are at their peak confidence. It could galvanized their team. If it happens week 5 and they were 1-4, sure it can crush them. 

Still we should beat them but the running back position is the one area where you can get injuries and still not miss a beat 

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Feel terrible about the Ravens injuries. They are still good. Can we win up front in the OL/DL battles. That will be huge. I also think Renfrow will eat.

Is Tavon Young playing he’s the kinda more compact corner I can see giving Renfrow trouble. I’d imagine Humphrey will be on Ruggs. Edwards should have the softest matchup 

Nobody likes injuries. 

As someone who suffered their fare share playing high school and college baseball (tore my ACL twice), and boxing professionally for a while (broken hand multiple times), I feel for any guy that misses time due to injuries. I wouldn't wish that on any player or any team regardless of how much I hate them. 

However, it is part of the game. Injuries happen. And when you play a team week 1 that has been devastated the way the Ravens have, it's really important that you jump on them early. I would live with some passing bend but don't break style where we give up some plays here and there, and I would sell out on the run early in terms of containing Lamar and the running backs. A unit as ravished by injuries as them I believe it's important early not to let any of the guys that will be seeing their first real action for the team get going and break off some big plays. Sell out a little, stuff the run, let the thoughts of how the injuries have changed the completion of the game creep into their heads, and make them a one dimensional offense. 

I don't care what anyone says, a great culture can rally guys and take on the next man up approach, but there will be players on the team that are let down by the injuries, particularly to a (imo would have been this year) game changer like Dobbins. I truly hope both teams come out healthy, but football is a brutal game and if another key guy goes down, even with something pretty minor that won't keep him out long, if they can't finish the game it should give our team an edge. Because in comparison to the Ravens we are coming in super healthy. 

First game in front of fans in Vegas is something else I am very interested to see. I want to see the atmosphere, hear how loud and into it the crowd is. It should be a fun sight. 

Peters being out probably isn't as big of an advantage as it may seem. The Ravens have a very deep and talented CB room, and Peters is the guy I think most susceptible to giving up a big play or two. He is the corner out of like the first 4 on the roster that I would have been trying to get Ruggs matched up one on one and go over the top (because Peters is fast and athletic enough to get a decent amount of snaps one on one, even with looks with 2 safeties over the top Ruggs is fast enough to get Peters to bite on a double move and out run the angle on a safety for a deep bomb. 

Either way, I go into this game cautiously optimistic. Gruden the past couple of years hasn't had a ton of trouble getting us to come out playing hard and playing really good football the first half of the season. I would say I was more worried about the results of week 2 at home against the Saints last season (coming off a win week 1) than I am against this current Ravens team week 1. That obviously doesn't mean the results will be the same though. 

It's a winnable game for sure. But it's going to take the OL setting the tone and controlling the line of scrimmage for the run game and giving Carr enough time to find Waller and company, and it will take the same from the defense. If we can stuff the run, play at least decent contain on Lamar and not let him run wild, and take away any deep cheap shots, we can live with an win a game where we make Lamar convert 3rd and long passing and sustaining long drives to score. 

Before the injuries to Dobbins, Gus, Peters, like all their WR, I probably would have said Ravens like 35-27. After all the injuries and our relative health in the firm home game in front of fans week 1 of the season I'll go out on a limb and say 

Raiders - 31

Ravens - 28

• Like 1

Bell hasn’t done doodly since he left Pitt, and Murray is ok. That take is a little harsh IMO. Maybe at their peak, but now? Cue the micheal Irvin plz, “cmon man!?”  Do I think they’re adequate fill ins at the last moment? Sure.... but that’s all. Hell, bell had a shot in kc and they let him go. Pretty sure he wasn’t seeing 8 man boxes there. Lmao! Love ya cough, but I will politely agree..... to disagree. Lol

• Like 1

the threat of Lamar Jackson will make these guys look better than what they are Murray is a quality back who i loved when he was here and has carved out a nice career. Bell isnt anywhere near who he was in Pitt. Their run game will still be an issue and should be the focal point. We need to make Lamar beat us with his arm and not let him run around all day. We have more depth up front this year so our DL will be fresher than in years past, which will go a long ways with chasing #8 around all day. 

We need to jump out in front of these guys and make them throw the ball. I believe we can put up points on anyone, its just a matter if we can contain Jackson and prevent him from going off. 

31-24 Raiders

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't really care about their RBs because Lamar is their main rushing threat. Losing Peters on the other hand is way more of an issue for them.

right. Another thing I wanna point out to is the ravens are one of the few teams that they can lose a Corner and not miss a beat. They probably have the best cornerback group in the NFL in terms of depth

42 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Bell hasn’t done doodly since he left Pitt, and Murray is ok. That take is a little harsh IMO. Maybe at their peak, but now? Cue the micheal Irvin plz, “cmon man!?”  Do I think they’re adequate fill ins at the last moment? Sure.... but that’s all. Hell, bell had a shot in kc and they let him go. Pretty sure he wasn’t seeing 8 man boxes there. Lmao! Love ya cough, but I will politely agree..... to disagree. Lol

We’ll see Monday night I honestly think drake can out perform josh if given significant opportunities. Josh is just a glorified fb to me. I don’t wish injuries on anyone but if they did go down and we got Murray and bell plus devonte freeman I’d sleep ok