MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

31 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We need to score more than 21. I want at least 25-28 or we aren't winning IMO.

Only way is the oline gives carr time if the blitzes expose our inexperience on oline then it’s gonna be a long day for carr and defense will be on the field all day and that’s a recipe for a L

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Only way is the oline gives carr time if the blitzes expose our inexperience on oline then it’s gonna be a long day for carr and defense will be on the field all day and that’s a recipe for a L

That’s what I’m saying. The OL needs to step up and let Carr cook. And if he has room to scramble he needs to.

19 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That’s what I’m saying. The OL needs to step up and let Carr cook. And if he has room to scramble he needs to.

I wanna see if carr reverts back to the old check down king or if he keeps taking downfield shots. I don’t think we can win unless carr is going deep. Defense is gonna give up at least 21 maybe even 28 so we need 30+ points to win

38 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

that defense was really a one man unit. give up a lot of yards, points, but hope that Mack can make a big play in crunch time (and that year, he did). this defense has a better chance to actually be solid

The 2016 defense wasn't great but we forced 30 turnovers, 2nd best in the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Only speaking for myself: I don’t think it’s a false hope thing. I mentioned a few months ago how I pegged us to win this game. (I remember you and I actually argued about Lamar Jackson as a passer for like a day after that lol.)

That was before we got KJ wright Gerald McCoy and and Denzel Perryman. It was also before we found out that Marcus peters is out. 

My theory is that we’re more equipped for this game from a defensive standpoint. I feel like the way the ravens offense works is that it creates personal problems for whoever the defense Is. You have to have people to be able to contain lamar Jackson but you have to also have run stuffers to be able to stop the run yes they hand it off. I feel like we have an entire run stuffing line and an entire pass rushing line. I also like Gus Bradley versus Lamar Jackson from a game plan standpoint. 

The questions for me or can they pass block offensively against, to your point, one of the top blitzing teams in the NFL. 

KJ Wright, Denzel Perryman, and Gerald McCoy literally just got here though. 

That's what destroyed the Dolphins and the Browns the last two seasons in week 1 against the Ravens. They were so worried about containing Lamar Jackson as a runner that he diced them up throwing the ball. In those 2 games he's 37/45 for 600 yards with 8 TD/0 INT and the Ravens offense scored 97 points. 

We're likely going to have two starting LB's that just got here in Perryman/Wright and two rookie DB's in Moehrig/Hobbs playing a ton of snaps. That's not a great recipe going against a team that had a month to prepare for us.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

The Ravens are to dependent on the run.  The Ravens passing game only works when the run game does.  

Lamar Jackson

Week 1 against Miami in 2019: 17/20 for 354 yards, 5 TD/0 INT

Week 1 against Cleveland in 2020: 20/25 for 275 yards, 3 TD/0 INT

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's what destroyed the Dolphins and the Browns the last two seasons in week 1 against the Ravens. They were so worried about containing Lamar Jackson as a runner that he diced them up throwing the ball. In those 2 games he's 37/45 for 600 yards with 8 TD/0 INT and the Ravens offense scored 97 points. 

We're likely going to have two starting LB's that just got here in Perryman/Wright and two rookie DB's in Moehrig/Hobbs playing a ton of snaps. That's not a great recipe going against a team that had a month to prepare for us.

i’ve noticed you mentioned the whole Lamar Jackson week one a few times . some things that may help provide context on that:

The Dolphins Just traded Minka Fitzpatrick along with their left tackle and didn’t know who the quarterback was going to be. We have to also remember they picked up five that year so they weren’t a good football team in general. When you keep going three and out it makes it harder to play defense when your defense already isn’t very good.

The Browns last year we’re missing both of their starting corners that game along with Grant Delpit who they expected to be there starting safety. I don’t even think Mark Wilson played in that game. When you’re losing that many starters on defense at those key positions it’s a recipe for disaster. I remember that Game very well because I had to play against Lamar Jackson in fantasy last year LOL. 

As far as what you said about a whole bunch of players just got here, That’s a valid point. I guess we’ll see what that means on Monday.

Edited by Jeremy408

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

2016....that Oline was prime. Had a savvy vet at WR in Crabtree. And Mack was capable of changing games on defense. 

Best roster since 2016, but still not on that level

The faith everyone has in our OL with Simpson, James, and Leatherwood starting is amazing. I like Ruggs/Edwards as well but they haven't shown much yet and those are our top 2 guys. 

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Well also it’s because the Dolphins OK traded Minka Fitzpatrick along with their left tackle and didn’t know who the quarterback was going to be. We have to also remember they picked up five that year so they weren’t a good football team in general

The Browns last year we’re missing both of their starting corners that game along with Grant Delpit who they expected to be there starting safety. I remember that Game very well because I had to play against Lamar Jackson in fantasy last year LOL

as far as what you said about a whole bunch of players just got here, That’s a valid point. I guess we’ll see what that means on Monday

We had the worst defense in franchise history last season and will have 6 new starters on defense in a new scheme. None of our starters played much, if at all, during the preseason. Our defense looks better on paper for sure but we have a ton of unknowns:

• Will Littleton/Abram be able to bounce back after being terrible last year?

• Do Gerald McCoy/Casey Hayward still got the juice to be good starters?

• Will Wright/Perryman be able to contribute after joining the team very late in the off-season?

• Will Moehrig/Hobbs be able to make an impact in their first NFL game?

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We had the worst defense in franchise history last season and will have 6 new starters on defense in a new scheme. None of our starters played much, if at all, during the preseason. Our defense looks better on paper for sure but we have a ton of unknowns:

• Will Littleton/Abram be able to bounce back after being terrible last year?

• Do Gerald McCoy/Casey Hayward still got the juice to be good starters?

• Will Wright/Perryman be able to contribute after joining the team very late in the off-season?

• Will Moehrig/Hobbs be able to make an impact in their first NFL game?

Last year when our defense was the worst in the NFL nobody played in preseason lol

But again now there’s only three days until the first game so we’ll actually get to see with everything that’s happened thus far means

Edited by Jeremy408

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Moehrig/Hobbs probably have a lot of experience with this type of offense because it's basically a college offense.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Last year when our defense was the worst in the NFL nobody played in preseason lol

And what does that have to do with this season? We're implementing a new scheme and virtually none of our starters have had any actual live reps in a game setting playing in it, while more than half of them weren't even on the team last year.