MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wanna see if carr reverts back to the old check down king or if he keeps taking downfield shots. I don’t think we can win unless carr is going deep. Defense is gonna give up at least 21 maybe even 28 so we need 30+ points to win

Yeah we’ll see. If he has some time he needs to push the ball downfield. If we are getting obliterated up front, I can see him checking down a lot. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

And what does that have to do with this season? We're implementing a new scheme and virtually none of our starters have had any actual live reps in a game setting playing in it, while more than half of them weren't even on the team last year. 

You mentioned the defense being bad.

We had Jonathan Abrams Who played in half a game a year before so he was practically a rookie

damon Arnette who was a rookie

littleton Who is new to the system

Kwiat that was new system

They were treated last year to a two week training camp with no preseason in a defense that is way more complicated than the one that we run now with no one that had actual experience in the system that was starting other than Trevon Mullen(notice how I didn’t mention the D line because they’re D lineman). Therefore there was no one to teach them. 

That would be why it matters

I think it’s better that they’re learning a simpler Defense with an entire off-season to learn it including a preseason for some of the younger players. Especially when we have people that I’ve played in this system with success for multiple years

May I remind you this year we have Casey Hayward who had played in the system for years and was an all pro in the system himself

we also have KJ right who is the best at the position he plays in this system and has played all three spots in the system

we also have Denzel Perryman that has been a starter in the system for about four years. 

So…they are not exactly learning the defense lol

Edited by Jeremy408

30 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think it’s better that they’re learning a simpler Defense with an entire off-season to learn it including a preseason for some of the younger players. Especially when we have people that I’ve played in this system with success for multiple years

May I remind you this year we have Casey Hayward who had played in the system for years and was an all pro in the system himself

we also have KJ right who is the best at the position he plays in this system and has played all three spots in the system

we also have Denzel Perryman that has been a starter in the system for about four years. 

Learning a new defense simpler or not is still a process. For Littleton and Kwit this is the third scheme they've had to play in 3 straight seasons. 

Casey Hayward has been an All-Pro in the system but so have Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas. Hayward is 32 years old and his play declined last season, according to PFF he was the 21st best CB in 2018, 4th in 2019, and 65th in 2020. Typically DB's don't improve as they get older. 

Wright and Perryman know the system but neither was really in camp or have played a snap in like 8 months so to expect them to be ready to go from day one is hopeful. 

Marcus Mariota, a mobile QB on our team, that regularly gets dragged for being a crap passer/player played against Gus Bradley and a few of our new defensive players. Mariota hadn't played really the entire season and stepped in for Carr during the first quarter. Bradley's great scheme held him to 17/28 for 227 yards 1 TD/1 INT and he also ran the ball 9 times for 88 yards and a TD. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah we’ll see. If he has some time he needs to push the ball downfield. If we are getting obliterated up front, I can see him checking down a lot. 

If we're going to win the offense can't stall out, especially early in the game. We can't have short drives/punts or settle for 3 in the red zone. That will put the defense in a terrible spot having to slow down Lamar Jackson. Would like to see us get the run game going early and then take some shots down field with Ruggs against their backup CB or Waller against their LB/S off play action.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar Jackson

Week 1 against Miami in 2019: 17/20 for 354 yards, 5 TD/0 INT

Week 1 against Cleveland in 2020: 20/25 for 275 yards, 3 TD/0 INT

I think we can all agree that our defense was really bad last year.  2020 Browns were almost as bad and the 2019 Dolphins were worse.  If the Ravens were at or close to full strength I would not be surprised if we lost because they are a more talented team.  They are patching holes all over their team right now and we have upgraded as guys got hurt.  Incognito and Jacobs might make it more difficult but Simpson and Drake should be able to help.  This does not take into account the motivation to come out in front of your fans for the first time in your new stadium.  I am not saying it is a sure thing but they have no excuses if they lose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I think we can all agree that our defense was really bad last year.  2020 Browns were almost as bad and the 2019 Dolphins were worse.  If the Ravens were at or close to full strength I would not be surprised if we lost because they are a more talented team.  They are patching holes all over their team right now and we have upgraded as guys got hurt.  Incognito and Jacobs might make it more difficult but Simpson and Drake should be able to help.  This does not take into account the motivation to come out in front of your fans for the first time in your new stadium.  I am not saying it is a sure thing but they have no excuses if they lose.

The Ravens have had a top 3 defense in each of the last 3 seasons. Losing Peters hurts but they're still going to have 6-7 starters from last years group and the same defensive coordinator. They blitz more than any team in the league by a wide margin and that will be tough for 3 guys that haven't really played in Simpson, James, and Leatherwood. Obviously losing two RB's hurts them but Lamar Jackson was their leading rusher last season either way and they have a good offensive line. People are also underestimating their passing game. Hollywood Brown, Sammy Watkins, and Mark Andrews is a very good trio of pass catchers. 

We have upgraded our defense on paper but Casey Hayward, Trevon Moehrig, Nate Hobbs, and Gerald McCoy are all question marks. We've also never seen Littleton, Abram, or Mullen in this scheme and even the guys we brought in like KJ Wright/Denzel Perryman haven't been in camp or had live reps. 

The Raiders were 2-6 at home last season and lost both of their final games in Oakland. I think if anyone is going to come into the game with a chip on their shoulder it's the Ravens. Everyone's counting them out because of the injuries but they still have a Super Bowl winning coach, a QB that just won the MVP two years ago, and one of the best defenses in the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If we're going to win the offense can't stall out, especially early in the game. We can't have short drives/punts or settle for 3 in the red zone. That will put the defense in a terrible spot having to slow down Lamar Jackson. Would like to see us get the run game going early and then take some shots down field with Ruggs against their backup CB or Waller against their LB/S off play action.

We need to run better in the red zone and use Waller/Moreau/edwards more. Plus incorporate mariota in the red zone.

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

You mentioned the defense being bad.

We had Jonathan Abrams Who played in half a game a year before so he was practically a rookie

damon Arnette who was a rookie

littleton Who is new to the system

Kwiat that was new system

They were treated last year to a two week training camp with no preseason in a defense that is way more complicated than the one that we run now with no one that had actual experience in the system that was starting other than Trevon Mullen(notice how I didn’t mention the D line because they’re D lineman). Therefore there was no one to teach them. 

That would be why it matters

3 guys who are ready to go in the system is a big deal. 

As for raw talent: Mullen isn't bad. Crosby and Yannick are good. Moehrig was drafted specifically. Littleton is tbd after last year, but likely to rebound. 

There's 8 of the 11 guys who should play well from the start. The DTs and whoever we have at NCB will need to prove themselves, and Abram (who I loathe) will be around until he gets hurt. So long as he doesn't take a teammate down with him, we're fine. 

That's a HUGE leap forward from what we had to work with last year. I'm not necessarily anticipating a top 10 D this year, but if Bradley's worth his salt, we should be markedly better right out the gate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

3 guys who are ready to go in the system is a big deal. 

As for raw talent: Mullen isn't bad. Crosby and Yannick are good. Moehrig was drafted specifically. Littleton is tbd after last year, but likely to rebound. 

There's 8 of the 11 guys who should play well from the start. The DTs and whoever we have at NCB will need to prove themselves, and Abram (who I loathe) will be around until he gets hurt. So long as he doesn't take a teammate down with him, we're fine. 

That's a HUGE leap forward from what we had to work with last year. I'm not necessarily anticipating a top 10 D this year, but if Bradley's worth his salt, we should be markedly better right out the gate. 

Last time around this year the coaching staff was talking up Malik Collins. that was our plan smh. What team is he even on now?

Now we have somebody at every level back in actually that’s been in this defense. Each have played and produced at a higher level in their respective careers.

Nobody can tell me that doesn’t matter lol. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Learning a new defense simpler or not is still a process. For Littleton and Kwit this is the third scheme they've had to play in 3 straight seasons. 

Casey Hayward has been an All-Pro in the system but so have Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas. Hayward is 32 years old and his play declined last season, according to PFF he was the 21st best CB in 2018, 4th in 2019, and 65th in 2020. Typically DB's don't improve as they get older. 

Wright and Perryman know the system but neither was really in camp or have played a snap in like 8 months so to expect them to be ready to go from day one is hopeful. 

Marcus Mariota, a mobile QB on our team, that regularly gets dragged for being a crap passer/player played against Gus Bradley and a few of our new defensive players. Mariota hadn't played really the entire season and stepped in for Carr during the first quarter. Bradley's great scheme held him to 17/28 for 227 yards 1 TD/1 INT and he also ran the ball 9 times for 88 yards and a TD. 

Let’s see what happens Monday

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Ravens have had a top 3 defense in each of the last 3 seasons. Losing Peters hurts but they're still going to have 6-7 starters from last years group and the same defensive coordinator. They blitz more than any team in the league by a wide margin and that will be tough for 3 guys that haven't really played in Simpson, James, and Leatherwood. Obviously losing two RB's hurts them but Lamar Jackson was their leading rusher last season either way and they have a good offensive line. People are also underestimating their passing game. Hollywood Brown, Sammy Watkins, and Mark Andrews is a very good trio of pass catchers. 

We have upgraded our defense on paper but Casey Hayward, Trevon Moehrig, Nate Hobbs, and Gerald McCoy are all question marks. We've also never seen Littleton, Abram, or Mullen in this scheme and even the guys we brought in like KJ Wright/Denzel Perryman haven't been in camp or had live reps. 

The Raiders were 2-6 at home last season and lost both of their final games in Oakland. I think if anyone is going to come into the game with a chip on their shoulder it's the Ravens. Everyone's counting them out because of the injuries but they still have a Super Bowl winning coach, a QB that just won the MVP two years ago, and one of the best defenses in the NFL. 

Nobody said they are a bad team.  They also lost Judon and that has to hurt but every teams loses and gains starters every year.  What I am saying is everything is falling into place for us to win this game and if we can not there are no excuses.  Sorry but I have very little respect for Lamar's abilities as a passer.  He is great at hitting receivers that are running free but if you can force him to throw into tight windows he misses by 3-5 yards.  If you play inspired defense against him he is pretty bad.  In 4 playoff games he has 3 TD and 5 Ints.  He has also thrown for over 200 yards once in those four games.  Week 1 in our new home and a revamped defense we should bring a playoff style intensity.  The 2 games you quoted in 2019 and 2020 were easily his best passing games in his career.  He can throw a lot of TDs because you have to open up the back end of the defense to stop him from running.  If you can contain him and play tight coverage the offense falls apart.  Losing your top 2 RBs will hurt their ability to run even when you have possibly the best RB in the league under center.

As far as our team is concerned there are question marks and maybe they are not good enough.  Let me rephrase what I said to make it more clear.  If we are an improvement of a legit 8-8 team from last year we should beat the Ravens.  If we are a paper tiger we will be exposed.  Either way there are no excuses for us and no reason why we should not win if we are an improved team because we have every known advantage.  The only question mark is how good we are.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2021 at 10:55 PM, big_palooka said:

To each their own. If the Oline struggles, this offense will find life difficult. They are replacing 3 starters and starting a rookie RT. The Ravens and Steelers in back to back weeks are going to open eyes to the problems on the Oline.

I have an ominous feeling too. Both the Steelers and Ravens are very well coached on defence and will exploit weaknesses. I'm concerned how the OL will gel and if they'll have the chemistry to pick up the blitzes, pass the right guys off basically play as a unit. If, however, we can stand up to the test we should gain confidence going forward. It'll be a great yard stick for the new configuration. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea I’m not too optimistic and I think going vs 2 blitz heavy teams will definitely tell us what level the oline is at. If we start slow and lose games early I can see the team tanking on gruden. 

Totally agree with the first part, the Ravens and Steelers will put huge pressure on the OL and we'll see what they're made of in adversity. I can also see us struggling early and losing a few games but I also don't think the team looking at the type of players we have in there will give up. I see a lot of experience in there and a few leaders who should step up, I also think Gus Bradley will have them playing hard all year.