•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Tyrone was a 3rd round pick who played well, was a locker room leader, and did the dirty work, who fans hate because he ended up slightly overpaid. If Leal matches that description, it’d be a good thing for the team.

For all the hand-wringing about not signing a bunch of outside free agents, Cowboys fans seem to be little Stephen Joneses at heart. Be a big player in free agency, and you are going to end up with a good number of players who wind up as “overpaid”. But in a league where the salary cap can be manipulated and goes up every year, it’s better to have a good player that is overpaid, than to not have the good player at all. Crawford should be viewed as a pretty solid success story for Dallas as a player, IMO.

There's a difference between overpaying a guy like Tyrone Crawford who never sniffed an All-Pro nomination, and guys like Von Miller, Tyrann Mathieu, Za'Darius Smith, etc. Y'know...guys who've actually shown they can excel in this league. 

Been seeing Charles Cross slip down to the late teens, early twenties in some mock drafts, so I decided to take a look.

So, yeah, Cross falling to #24 would probably be my dream scenario. He’s a cornerstone left tackle in my book. A machine in pass-pro and a dancing bear in space. Has room to grow as a run blocker, but I expect he’ll eventually become quite good at it.

If he falls to #24, it’s only because Neal and Ekwonu are extra-rare, and someone bet on Penning’s upside. Cross, IMO, is a top-10 pick in most drafts. To land your heir to Tyron, and only have to spend the #24 pick on it, would be incredible. Don’t overthink it, just laugh your way to the bank. I don’t think we’ll be lucky enough, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Been seeing Charles Cross slip down to the late teens, early twenties in some mock drafts, so I decided to take a look.

So, yeah, Cross falling to #24 would probably be my dream scenario. He’s a cornerstone left tackle in my book. A machine in pass-pro and a dancing bear in space. Has room to grow as a run blocker, but I expect he’ll eventually become quite good at it.

If he falls to #24, it’s only because Neal and Ekwonu are extra-rare, and someone bet on Penning’s upside. Cross, IMO, is a top-10 pick in most drafts. To land your heir to Tyron, and only have to spend the #24 pick on it, would be incredible. Don’t overthink it, just laugh your way to the bank. I don’t think we’ll be lucky enough, unfortunately.

He could probably fill in at guard right? Cross would be a steal if he's there at #24.

6 hours ago, D82 said:

He could probably fill in at guard right? Cross would be a steal if he's there at #24.

He could probably do it, but if he’s my future LT, I may be more inclined to start him at tackle and figure out my LG situation in a different way. Cross training him is probably a negative for his development.

41 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Woods is going to need some time, but he’s the total package physically and athletically. Would be thrilled to add him. 

Honestly, this year’s TE has been growing on me and I believe is far deeper and talented than being credited. I can see a number of them becoming contributors immediately. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Say hello to our second round pick. 

Ok, so I had not heard about Sam Williams until today, when twitter was ablaze with claims that we love Sam Williams. So I watched.

I have no idea how he has been so far under the radar to this point. He seems massively underrated to me. Guys with his athletic profile and production tend to be big time NFL pass rushers. He has speed and power and bend. He’s relentless getting after the passer, and he’s a finisher. He lines up all over the line of scrimmage. Just a grind for offensive linemen to deal with.

I’ve read some of the scouting reports on him, that don’t totally agree with me. But to my eyes, the only reason he isn’t a clear 1st rounder is because of his legal issues. As a prospect, he’s on par with Jermaine Johnson and George Karlaftis, IMO. And I’m a big fan of those guys!

I think it’s not at all unfair to compare him, both his situation and on-field play, to Frank Clark. If the off-field stuff checks out, and you can land him in the 2nd round, it’s the type of thing that can salvage the quality roster building strategy that Stephen Jones took a hatchet to during free agency.

Easily my favorite potential 2nd rounder that I’ve watched so far. Don’t even wait for #56, use those extra 5th rounders and go get him.

35 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Do you want them to not meet a player? Not work them out at their pro day? 

Of course, they meet with these guys. But I always feel like they say more than they need to. 

You don't hear about this sort of thing with other teams. Or at least, not that I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

Of course, they meet with these guys. But I always feel like they say more than they need to. 

You don't hear about this sort of thing with other teams. Or at least, not that I've seen. 

I agree that the Cowboys tend to be more transparent, but if you followed all of the best writers for other teams instead of the Cowboys, your perspective would be much different.

They are trying to get to know a guy with character issues. Trying to understand his passion/excitement about being a Cowboys in not a worthless endeavor, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree that the Cowboys tend to be more transparent, but if you followed all of the best writers for other teams instead of the Cowboys, your perspective would be much different.

They are trying to get to know a guy with character issues. Trying to understand his passion/excitement about being a Cowboys in not a worthless endeavor, IMO.

No, that's fair.

Williams does seem to be a guy who could develop into a talented pass-rusher, and if they take him in the 2nd he'd be a good selection.