•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

On 3/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, Northland said:

I am still in awe at his combine.  Off the freaking chart.

Same here me too. It's jaw dropping. 

I couldn't be more 🔥'd up about having 4 picks within the first two rounds of 4 selections within just the top 38 slots @ 4th overall, 10th overall, 36th overall and 38th overall because with a draft class this elite in athleticism (talent) it's almost impossible to not walk away without an A++++ (1st two rounds) especially with EDGE/O-Line/WR/TE being our 4 biggest weaknesses (CB/S/LB too).

Heck I'm even fired up about the 5th overall Pick of the 3rd round, 6th and 12th overall picks of the 4th round and 3rd and 20th picks of the 5th round (5 picks rounds 3-5). 

• As for the Cowboys? With 4 picks @ 24/56/88/127 throughout the 1st 4 rounds you guys should walk away with 4 immediate starters; this 2022 draft class is fully loaded.

20 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

You’ll see it when you watch the film on him. He was much more successful when he lined up at LB (even in pass rushing situations) than DE. He’s more explosive playing in a more hybrid role than with his hand exclusively in the dirt.

Alright, I’ve watched and researched. I see what you are saying, but don’t totally agree with the projection.

He certainly has a lot of his success out of a two point stance (he lines up in a two point stance even as the DE in 4 man fronts a lot).

But man, I think he has the tools to do basically anything he wants. For a guy that has only played football since he was 17, he’s able to win with in a surprising number of ways and with an impressive number of pass rush moves. He’s raw, sure, but he has such a natural feel for rushing the passer, and he’s only going to get better. With his athleticism, twitch, and bend, I have no problem projecting him as a stud pass rusher in almost any scheme.

I will say, he’s probably the least ready to be an every-down player of the top-6 DEs. He’s not ready to be a great run defender, so if you are trying to replace Tank with him, that might be a journey for a few years. 

The other thing I hate about him is that he’s a DE who played for Michigan. I know that’s not relevant in a real way, but I will forever be sick about the Taco pick.

Overall, I think he’s a likely “boom” pick, but there is a little more development and risk you have to do with him than you do with a Johnson or Karlaftis. But I think all 3 are worthy of #24.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Alright, I’ve watched and researched. I see what you are saying, but don’t totally agree with the projection.

He certainly has a lot of his success out of a two point stance (he lines up in a two point stance even as the DE in 4 man fronts a lot).

But man, I think he has the tools to do basically anything he wants. For a guy that has only played football since he was 17, he’s able to win with in a surprising number of ways and with an impressive number of pass rush moves. He’s raw, sure, but he has such a natural feel for rushing the passer, and he’s only going to get better. With his athleticism, twitch, and bend, I have no problem projecting him as a stud pass rusher in almost any scheme.

I will say, he’s probably the least ready to be an every-down player of the top-6 DEs. He’s not ready to be a great run defender, so if you are trying to replace Tank with him, that might be a journey for a few years. 

The other thing I hate about him is that he’s a DE who played for Michigan. I know that’s not relevant in a real way, but I will forever be sick about the Taco pick.

Overall, I think he’s a likely “boom” pick, but there is a little more development and risk you have to do with him than you do with a Johnson or Karlaftis. But I think all 3 are worthy of #24.

I have no doubt that he’s a superior prospect than Kwity Paye was last year, that’s for sure. The key to Ojabo being successful early on will be coaching and scheme, because they’ll need to utilize his athletic ability through scheme while he gains experience and learns how to play football. He has tons and tons of upside, but he’s very raw.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I have no doubt that he’s a superior prospect that Kwity Paye was last year, that’s for sure. The key to Ojabo being successful early on will be coaching and scheme, because they’ll need to utilize his athletic ability through scheme while he gains experience and learns how to play football. He has tons and tons of upside, but he’s very raw.

100% agree, he’s a much better prospect than Paye.

16 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Most of Wisconsin’s LBs were extraordinary last season. Tons of fun to watch play. Very talented group.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TVScout said:

I checked him out today, and let me tell you about this Bill Parcells wet dream of a linebacker.

Anything where he is going downhill, he is really, really good. Just a painful guy to block, he seems to really wear down his opponents. A true throwback, tough guy. Terrific instincts and closing ability to get to the ball carrier. His strength really shows up on tape, he could practically hold up as a defensive tackle. Fantastic blitzer. Just a nightmare presence in the A gap.

Unfortunately, I do worry about his coverage. That makes it tough to survive in today’s NFL. He’s made basically no plays in coverage in his career. When asked to cover, he appears stiff (surprising, given his combine performance). I feel pretty confident that he’d be a big liability in man coverage early on, and probably in his zone drops, too. So it’s a good thing he can impact the passing game as a pass rusher.

I have no doubt this guy will be an elite run defender, as long as his body holds up. He’ll get a good number of sacks as a blitzer (honestly, maybe even 8-10 per year if someone decides to play him as a SLB in a 3-4). But you are going to have to hide him in coverage. That might be ok for Dallas personnel, as we can probably rely on Jabril Cox and Jayron Kearse for tough linebacker coverage assignments.

Optimistically, you think he can develop into a decent cover guy because of his athleticism and instincts. He’s a bit Logan Wilson++ as a prospect, and Wilson has turned into a pretty good coverage LB for the Bengals.

I think this is exactly why I’m starting to think drafting a linebacker at #26 might be a mistake. There is going to be an excellent LB at #56. Sit back and take this year’s Nick Bolton. Chenel might be that guy.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What the… I’ve heard almost nothing about him so far, and yet…

Going to be watching him tomorrow.  

What the literal hell is going on with this draft?!? It feels like everyone a 5 star athlete. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:
18 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Is this an endurance thing or is it a UGA is loaded up front thing? I mean, Jalen Carter is potentially better than both Wyatt and Davis, and likely looking at a top 20 ranking this time next year.

I question if it even matters. I mean, look at this. There are like maybe 5-10 DTs total who average over 40 snaps a game? Thats a position that gets rotated a lot unless you are Aaron Donald. 

• Like 1