Jump to content

Brandon Aiyuk ... ?


Recommended Posts

Felt thread worthy since Im sure it will be an ongoing storyline this year.

0 targets week 1 for a guy who everyone thought would be WR1 for us this year. Not good. 

Pulled hamstring, but also was slated to be our PR, which would signal that he is not one of our top 2 WRs regardless. That was always odd if you thought he was WR1. 

Rumors are that he needs to be more of a professional, not sure exactly where that is coming from, we only hear half the story as fans. 

People keep bringing up Dante Pettis being in the dog house, but Kyle was very vocal about the fact pettis was in the dog house, whereas he has essentially poo poo'd the idea Aiyuk is somehow disappointed him. Can someone remind me what Kyle was saying about Breida a few years ago? 

He is our best deep threat, so youd think that he would be a very valuable piece once Lance takes over. Aiyuk ran a lot of deeper, clear out type routes when he did play against DET. That opened up the middle for Deebo, so its not like he had zero effect on the game. He had multiple defenders running with him when he went deep. So he was featured in a sense.

No need to panic yet, but its absolutely concerning. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aiyuk was one of the few that had not been vaccinated. I do think I saw him in some videos without a mask, but could that be one of the issues Shanny has with him? 

I can't comment on his lack of professionalism or how he needs to be more professional. I do know that last season reports were coming out that Shanny was not pleased with Deebo and now Aiyuk is catching similar flack...For different reasons. 

I think though it will all be fine soon though and Aiyuk will get his usual starter snaps. I expect Aiyuk to have a good game with the Eagles likely putting a fair amount of attention to Deebo and Kittle. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Aiyuk was one of the few that had not been vaccinated. I do think I saw him in some videos without a mask, but could that be one of the issues Shanny has with him? 

I can't comment on his lack of professionalism or how he needs to be more professional. I do know that last season reports were coming out that Shanny was not pleased with Deebo and now Aiyuk is catching similar flack...For different reasons. 

I think though it will all be fine soon though and Aiyuk will get his usual starter snaps. I expect Aiyuk to have a good game with the Eagles likely putting a fair amount of attention to Deebo and Kittle. 

It would be unfortunate if Aiyuk doesn't do something spectacular this weekend since the broadcast will show his leaping TD against the Eagles last year a million times. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Aiyuk was one of the few that had not been vaccinated. I do think I saw him in some videos without a mask, but could that be one of the issues Shanny has with him? 

Yeah, I had the same thought. Tough to say, but it certainly does not help

I saw some speculation that Kyle didnt think Aiyuk played as well at the end of last season as we all thought he did. Tough to say without knowing playcalls etc. Its possible Kyle had to simplify things for him and that he does not understand the playbook as well as other guys. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I can't comment on his lack of professionalism or how he needs to be more professional. I do know that last season reports were coming out that Shanny was not pleased with Deebo and now Aiyuk is catching similar flack...For different reasons. 

This is where not having a true vet WR on the roster hurts us. Sanu I guess fits this category but is he a guy to take another player under his wing like Sanders did to deebo in 2019? 

This kind of calls into question.... is wes welker a good WRs coach? I feel fairly confident that he is, but this is the third WR to have some of these issues. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think though it will all be fine soon though and Aiyuk will get his usual starter snaps. I expect Aiyuk to have a good game with the Eagles likely putting a fair amount of attention to Deebo and Kittle. 

I hope youre right. It would be nice to see him be part of the gameplan. He is good-great after the catch so I think it would be a very positive sign to see some designed calls to him so that we know he isnt truly in the doghouse.  

If the hammy is bothering him, they should just shut him down. Either play him, or dont play him, but dont halfway play him and then say hes also hurt. lol Hammys are tricky and there is no reason to push him if he isnt able to handle the full work load

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said I think it's a personal issue. When Kyle said starting Sherfield was an obvious choice, it seemed like he was sending a message to Aiyuk.. against Detroit you can get away with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"If he wants to be out there for every snap, then he needs to be a lot better than the guy behind him" - Kyle 

 

So yeah, he absolutely has one foot in the dog house. I think we will see what this kid is made of over the coming months. Some guys fold when they are in the dog house. Hopefully he steps up to the plate and works that much harder

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, N4L said:

"If he wants to be out there for every snap, then he needs to be a lot better than the guy behind him" - Kyle 

 

So yeah, he absolutely has one foot in the dog house. I think we will see what this kid is made of over the coming months. Some guys fold when they are in the dog house. Hopefully he steps up to the plate and works that much harder

Here is the thing, Aiyuk being in the doghouse still means he is splitting and getting a decent amount of snaps. So he will have his opportunity to make plays...as long as Jimmy targets him. But Jimmy didn't target him once on Sunday. So I feel like some of this is Jimmy not fully trusting Aiyuk right now either. When Aiyuk went on his nice run last season, it was with Mullens at QB, not Jimmy. In fact, with Jimmy, Aiyuk never had a big game. Jimmy targets Deebo heavy as well as Kittle. If Aiyuk goes a few more weeks with limited amount of targets and he's still splitting snaps with Sherfield? This can definitely become a problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here is the thing, Aiyuk being in the doghouse still means he is splitting and getting a decent amount of snaps. So he will have his opportunity to make plays...as long as Jimmy targets him. But Jimmy didn't target him once on Sunday. So I feel like some of this is Jimmy not fully trusting Aiyuk right now either. When Aiyuk went on his nice run last season, it was with Mullens at QB, not Jimmy. In fact, with Jimmy, Aiyuk never had a big game. Jimmy targets Deebo heavy as well as Kittle. If Aiyuk goes a few more weeks with limited amount of targets and he's still splitting snaps with Sherfield? This can definitely become a problem. 

Excellent points. I also think its worth noting that he was clearing out the defense and was drawing multiple defenders on a lot of his routes. So the lack of targets feels like it was somewhat by design. Not to say they didnt want to give him the ball, but that his presence helped open up the intermediate routes over the middle for deebo, which is where JG excels. So it was a good gameplan and its not like he had a terrible game, he did what was asked of him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, N4L said:

Excellent points. I also think its worth noting that he was clearing out the defense and was drawing multiple defenders on a lot of his routes. So the lack of targets feels like it was somewhat by design. Not to say they didnt want to give him the ball, but that his presence helped open up the intermediate routes over the middle for deebo, which is where JG excels. So it was a good gameplan and its not like he had a terrible game, he did what was asked of him.  

Yeah, but part of that is that Shanny decides which WR to utilize in these plays. He knows when he calls the play that it is for Deebo and just wants Aiyuk to clear the defense out. Shanny didn't try to get Aiyuk any touches vs Detroit, not even a quick bubble screen. Heck, I don't even remember if Jimmy even looked his way at any point of the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, but part of that is that Shanny decides which WR to utilize in these plays. He knows when he calls the play that it is for Deebo and just wants Aiyuk to clear the defense out. Shanny didn't try to get Aiyuk any touches vs Detroit, not even a quick bubble screen. Heck, I don't even remember if Jimmy even looked his way at any point of the game. 

Agreed, and I think if this continues (no plays designed to get the ball in his hands) then it shows there is a serious issue and that he is not a victim of the circumstances. 

I would hope that Kyle would try and get the ball to him early, just to help with his confidence a bit. This (and our RB situation) is the talk of the NFL world right now. Im sure he has a lot of people asking him whats going on. Sometimes that can get into a young player's head. Id hope kyle would recognize this and try and get him the ball to make everyone shut up about it lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at videos of drills and I see Brandon Aiyuk is running last in every drill today. During training camp it was Deebo and Aiyuk running first. Now Aiyuk is running last while, Deebo and Sherfield running first. Probably nothing just something I noticed. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Looking at videos of drills and I see Brandon Aiyuk is running last in every drill today. During training camp it was Deebo and Aiyuk running first. Now Aiyuk is running last while, Deebo and Sherfield running first. Probably nothing just something I noticed. 

 

Lets not make more of this than we need to, but I think this dude needs a confidence boost with a jet sweep early in the game. Let him do his thing! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...