Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

Just now, Forge said:

Baalke has cockroach like survival skills

I figured this was a huge possibility for a while. It’s quite clear he was leaking a lot of the stuff about Urban in an attempt to get him ousted so he can install a puppet coach that will go along with everything he says. But it’s still incredibly infuriating that here we are.

Hopefully the media turning on Shad over this will change his mind, but I really doubt it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Yup. Shad Khan is — and there truly is no competition — the biggest idiot in this league when it comes to football ops. Absolutely brain dead.

Oh... Cal McNair is a much close 2nd than you give him credit for. 

It's hard to go back and watch those 2011 to 2014 49ers games knowing the turmoil that would arise to the surface behind the scenes. Thus far in the Shanahan era I'm having more fun as a fan just because the leaks every Sunday morning stopped, and haven't been an issue since. Even with the overall losing record. Sucks for Trevor Lawrence and Jaguars nation that Baalke is still around. Too bad Khan didn't do his research and/or was just oblivious to Baalke's history. I have to believe someone whispered in his ear though at least once about what happened in SF. 

9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

It's hard to go back and watch those 2011 to 2014 49ers games knowing the turmoil that would arise to the surface behind the scenes. Thus far in the Shanahan era I'm having more fun as a fan just because the leaks every Sunday morning stopped, and haven't been an issue since. Even with the overall losing record. Sucks for Trevor Lawrence and Jaguars nation that Baalke is still around. Too bad Khan didn't do his research and/or was just oblivious to Baalke's history. I have to believe someone whispered in his ear though at least once about what happened in SF. 

Yeah, even with everything I still have no doubt Shad is trying but it’s miraculous just how out of touch/oblivious you have to be to hire him AND retain him amid this disastrous season that included a ton of drama/leaks and not know he likely had a hand.

The fact Pederson likes him makes me think Shad got word of that and Doug was his top candidate going into all of this to begin with. 

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Who’s more Teflon, Baalke or Easterby ?

I don't think Easterby is Teflon - 31 other owners would have shot him out of a cannon into a tire fire by now.

It just so happens that the one owner who'd keep him... is Cal McNair, his current employer.

6 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that Pederson would automatically be good for Lawrence - unless he gets to bring Frank Reich with him.

Granted, he'd be better than Meyer. 

I don’t think assuming any hire would be automatically good for Lawrence would be wise, but this team needs an experienced coach and can’t afford to get it wrong. Pederson and Caldwell are two of the better candidates on that front, with the latter being slightly worrisome due to age.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don’t think assuming any hire would be automatically good for Lawrence would be wise, but this team needs an experienced coach and can’t afford to get it wrong. Pederson and Caldwell are two of the better candidates on that front, with the latter being slightly worrisome due to age.

I mean Pederson and Wentz literally weren't on speaking terms by the end in Philly. That might not mean he can't be good with any QB, but I wonder. I don't think any Eagles fan was happy with Pederson in his final year. Caldwell could be good - would any hire want to bring their own OC or would Bevell likely stay? 

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I mean Pederson and Wentz literally weren't on speaking terms by the end in Philly. That might not mean he can't be good with any QB, but I wonder. I don't think any Eagles fan was happy with Pederson in his final year. Caldwell could be good - would any hire want to bring their own OC or would Bevell likely stay? 

Zero shot anyone from the offensive staff sticks. This has been a historically bad season on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pwny said:

As long as you admit it’s clearly second. 

Hey, the gap is closing - Cal has only owned the Texans for three seasons (Bob McNair passed in November 2018).

In three seasons, Cal took a perennial playoff contender with an elite franchise QB throwing to an elite franchise WR, along with ancillary parts who made a difference - and turned it into one of the worst destination in sports, a team with maybe two talented players (who want out, no less) very little cap space and limited assets to build upon. Right now, the Texans are banking on a few lottery tickets from Stanford, Michigan, Miami and Arizona, respectively.

Shad might have longevity in this competition, but I don't think anyone can match this "falling from a cliff" style of ownership.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hey, the gap is closing - Cal has only owned the Texans for three seasons (Bob McNair passed in November 2018).

In three seasons, Cal took a perennial playoff contender with an elite franchise QB throwing to an elite franchise WR, along with ancillary parts who made a difference - and turned it into one of the worst destination in sports, a team with maybe two talented players (who want out, no less) very little cap space and limited assets to build upon. Right now, the Texans are banking on a few lottery tickets from Stanford, Michigan, Miami and Arizona, respectively.

Shad might have longevity in this competition, but I don't think anyone can match this "falling from a cliff" style of ownership.

You can’t blame Cal for Watson being a sex pest. If not for that, You’d either still have him or a large amount of assets and a lot more cap space.

And despite all your complaints about the lack of talent and the players leaving, you’ve won more games this year than Shad’s teams have won the last two years combined. Heck, even if you completely ignore Cal’s first year and only count the last two years as his product — which I have no problem giving you — he’s already one win short of the total wins from Shad’s first three years.

You have a long, long way to go. Call me when he keeps Easterby for 7 years and then hires another idiot to run things after.