Head Coach hunt 2022 and beyond

viking

Joe Brady, Kellen Moore, and Clint Kubiak make the short list of head coach candidates for me right now.

I would keep and build around Kirk and I am tempted to keep Spielman, because he has finally embraced the O-Line and brought in a lot of talent, I just think the Vikings have gotten screwed by injuries (Matt Kalil) and forcing this zone running scheme (Garrett Bradbury).

This is as of this week, though.

24 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Joe Brady, Kellen Moore, and Clint Kubiak make the short list of head coach candidates for me right now.

I would keep and build around Kirk and I am tempted to keep Spielman, because he has finally embraced the O-Line and brought in a lot of talent, I just think the Vikings have gotten screwed by injuries (Matt Kalil) and forcing this zone running scheme (Garrett Bradbury).

This is as of this week, though.

Ok, I'll bite and discuss this even though I truly don't want to, since I've already addressed my thoughts in the other thread that I shared earlier....none of those guys are anywhere near my short list.  

Joe Brady was a college senior 9 years ago and has about as much coaching experience as Klint does.  And last I checked, 2 of the Panthers 3 wins were vs the Jets and Texans and their other win was against a team that was missing the majority of their coaching staff and was a 5-win staff 1 year ago.

Kellen Moore, while he has an additional year of OC experience to Brady, I'm still hesitant on fast-tracking guys to HC, especially one who was the Cowboys backup QB just 4 years ago.

Kubiak, I've already discussed.

I'm not for hiring the next "hot" name just because he's a young guy.  That can go bad more likely than go well.  If I'm moving on, I want a guy who's paid his dues and deserves the opportunity, not just because he's a sexy pick.

Brian Daboll would fit that criteria...Greg Roman would fit that criteria.  While Byron Leftwich has as much OC experience as Kellen Moore, I'd actually consider him before Moore, because he was a pseudo-coach during his career...and as I've also said before, I don't like bad backup QBs as HCs, which Moore was...I  prefer good backup QBs.  Leftwich was a good backup QB.  It's why, in future talk, when the inevitable talk about who will make a better HC comes around, I'm going to prefer Josh McCown over Sean Mannion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The whole “paid his dues” argument falls on deaf ears for me. These coaches who have been around for a long time and haven’t gotten their shot, there’s a reason. 

When talent is recognized, there’s no point in waiting. 

I tend to lean this way, as well (Eric Bienemy). Plus, even if we get a coach that flames out at least the team will likely garner a top 5 pick for a potential QB of the future. I want boom or bust. The team will never be a train wreck right now under Zimmer, they are always competitive and in the playoff race. But this team has never deservedly made it to a championship game. I want ONE Super Bowl WIN.

But that's easy for me to say when it isn't my job and reputation on the line 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The whole “paid his dues” argument falls on deaf ears for me. These coaches who have been around for a long time and haven’t gotten their shot, there’s a reason. 

When talent is recognized, there’s no point in waiting. 

I understand that, I just don't agree with it, as talent lies in the eyes in the eyes of the beholder.  Even a guy who has "talent" can fold under the weight of the responsibilities of being a HC.  There has to be a balance.  If a guy like Tomlin comes around, who has the talent but also appears to be able to handle the increased responsibility, sure, I am willing to take that risk.  But, I'm not taking a guy who just happens to be a top assistant under an offensive guy, which is what Moore has been and which is what Brady has been...and is why they're nowhere near my short list.