College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Texas A&M is so beta they have to always say A&M at the end otherwise people think Longhorns.

Nebraska's last natty came 58 years more recently than Aggie. Nebraska has won their division more recently than Aggie.

lulz

The bolded is key. I think that by definition makes A&M a beta

5 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

In the last 3 seasons, these are the losses that alpha Jimbo has:

2015:

• Georgia Tech
  • Clemson
  • Houston

2016:

• Louisville
  • North Carolina
  • Clemson

2017:

• Alabama
  • NC State
  • Miami
  • Louisville
  • Boston College
  • Clemson

It's been a downward spiral since the National Championship. Team has regressed year after year.

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

It's been a downward spiral since the National Championship. Team has regressed year after year.

It definitely caught me by surprise because of the national championship season and the year after but the 2015 and 2016 season kind of fit the profile of Jimbo as a head coach.

2010: 10-4

2011: 9-4

2012: 12-2

2013: 14-0

2014: 13-1

2015: 10-3

2016: 10-3

2017: 5-6

I bolded 2013 and 2014 because those were the seasons that Jameis started at FSU.

The more you look at Jimbo's body of work at FSU, the more you realize that his teams developed a pattern of losing games they had no business losing. And if I remember correctly, in 2014, FSU was starting out games just getting crushed and it would take crazy efforts by Jameis in the 2nd half to get those games close.

FSU might be a lot better for moving on from Jimbo.

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

The more you look at Jimbo's body of work at FSU, the more you realize that his teams developed a pattern of losing games they had no business losing. And if I remember correctly, in 2014, FSU was starting out games just getting crushed and it would take crazy efforts by Jameis in the 2nd half to get those games close.

FSU might be a lot better for moving on from Jimbo.

It's true. The 2014 team should have dominated most of their opponents. Imagine an offense that had Jameis Winston handing the ball off to Dalvin Cook, and Jalen Ramsey running around on defense. The 2013/2014 rosters were pretty much NFL teams. Things just kept getting more and more stagnant after all of the NFL talent left. FSU should never get blown out by teams like Boston College. Jimbo leaving is good for both sides IMO and that's the feeling around Tallahassee. 

23 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Well, I mean...

We've won five national championships, been to a handful of others. Are the only school to win 3 in 4 years. Have three Heisman winners. Are 4th on the all-time wins list. Have the longest sell-out streak going by to 1962 (our stadium has a capacity of 90,000) which is quite a bit longer than anyone else. And claim what many believe to be the most dominant team of all-time (1995).

We may not be good anymore and may never be great again (hopefully Frost changes that, but he/we are understandably at a disadvantage these days), but..... yeah.

Nebraska isn't anything. Go anywhere and you see nothing Nebraska. Not like Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Michigan, and the like. They were only good before college football was relevant. 

34 minutes ago, Phire said:

He took dirty jobs, like a Western Kentucky team that was 2-22 in the two years prior to Taggart arriving and flipping that program around. Yeah, any coach would have lost at that program the first year. Do you go up to construction workers and scoff at the dirt on their boots?

Yet, other coaches have turned around bad programs faster. Hell, even Jim McElwain turned around CSU faster than Taggart did USF.

43 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

At no point was Miss St a Vandy level program that's a lie you tell yourself to justify the hire lol. Sherrill had just as good a program as Dan Mullen had there. Don't confuse the disaster that was Croome for the history of the program. 

Vandy didn't win more than 5 games in a year between 1982 and 2008.

What a patently ridiculous comparison.

Mississippi State was absolutely a Vandy-level program when Mullen arrived. They were a perennial doormat. Jackie Sherrill, who had a career .500 record at MSU over 13 seasons, had a 102-37-2 record for TAMU and Pitt before going to MSU. He was a great CFB coach and still won less at MSU than Mullen did. From 2000 until Mullen was hired in 2009, MSU had been to a total of 2 bowl games. Its yearly records were:

2000: 8-4

2001: 3-8

2002: 3-9

2003: 2-10

2004: 3-8

2005: 3-8

2006: 3-9

2007: 8-5

2008: 4-8

That's the program that Mullen inherited. Let's take a look at the Vandy program that James Franklin inherited:

2002: 2-10

2003: 2-10

2004: 2-9

2005: 5-6

2006: 4-8

2007: 5-7

2008: 7-6

2009: 2-10

2010: 2-10

Vandy was worse but not much worse. Do the math. Vandy's record over that span was 31-76. MSU's record was 39-69. That's a difference of ONE win per year.

Mullen won with a doormat. He won with the worst program in the SEC West. He won more with a team than Jackie Sherrill could. Yet, we're going to make excuses for Willie Taggart not winning?

51 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

So a good regular season team that chokes in big games. Taggert is an unknown. I like that he can pull kids out of Tampa. A place that Jimbo never could.

If he's his worst case scenario, sure. But the fact is that he helped Florida win two national championships as their OC and made Mississippi State competitive in the SEC West after it was a Vandy-level doormat. Taggart being an unknown goes both ways. Jim McElwain was an unknown who rebuilt a bad Colorado State program. That didn't work too well for us. Taggart has a below .500 record after seven years as a HC. That has to be concerning.

Jim Leavitt has stated he wants to be a head coach again. If I'm Mullens, I'm offering him the HC position yesterday to try and lure him back. Of all of the coaches brought to Eugene by Taggart, Leavitt is the one who made the biggest difference. He's had success in the past and he's been out west since 2011. 

Aside from him, since it's doubtful that would happen:

1. Les Miles.... I'd love it, plain and simple. 

2. Jeff Tedford- has ties to the Ducks as OC from 98-01

3. Bryan Harsin- Coached at Eastern Oregon for a year. He's been successful at his previous stops and Boise has remained relevant under his watch. 

4. June Jones- Native of Oregon and has been fairly successful in the past. His offense would be fun to watch. Recruiting questions from SMU though...

5. Mario Cristobal- Continuity. 

Keep Sumlin, McElwain, and Kiffin away at all costs. Two of them are uninspiring and mediocre and one I simply don't trust to not put us back in this position again next year. 

6 minutes ago, Phire said:

It's a risk I'm willing to take. It's not like he's taking over a roster full of McElwain recruits :)

A team of McElwain recruits is better than what Mullen averaged 8 wins per year with in the SEC West. But hey, you're welcome to the third best college coach in Florida. B|

Archived