Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

On 11/1/2017 at 10:44 AM, lancerman said:

This is why I don't give them the benefit of the doubt. They don't deserve it. 

There is no master plan 

Okay legitimately you think Harvard lawyers are going into this with no master plan?

Just because you cant see it doesn't mean its not there.

I absolutely love what they are doing.  When the Media and Football fans freak out about analytics and about not winning today or not winning right now, they stay the course and continue what their plan is.  Several sources have talked about how at the last hour the Haslems stepped in and told the FO they needed to trade for McCarren for Hue, I don't think that was part of their plan at all.  Our defensive front seven is young and talented (best team against the run in the NFL [Judging based on Yards per Carry and NEVER loading the box]), the offensive line is Young and Talented.  They need a QB and they need Weapons and it clearly wasn't their intention to just throw a guy in there before the built the foundation.

The browns have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, (plus the first pick in the 3rd?) looks like possibly 2 picks in the top 10. 

They traded a comp 3rd for Jamie Collins (who if he didn't want to resign with them, guess what, would have gotten a comp 3rd).  They traded a 6th and 15 million dollars (which we weren't using on the cap) for a 2nd round pick, right now looks like it could be top 40.  They traded a 7th rounder for a punter, and turned it back into a 4th rounder the next year.

No, they don't have a QB yet, but the plan wasn't to go all in on winning right away, so whether we we are 0-8 or 2-6 WHO CARES.  They are obviously building for the future, not trying to put all their cards on the table right now...

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

Okay legitimately you think Harvard lawyers are going into this with no master plan?

I absolutely love what they are doing.  When the Media and Football fans freak out about analytics and about not winning today or not winning right now, they stay the course and continue what their plan is.  Several sources have talked about how at the last hour the Haslems stepped in and told the FO they needed to trade for McCarren for Hue, I don't think that was part of their plan at all.  Our defensive front seven is young and talented (best team against the run in the NFL [Judging based on Yards per Carry and NEVER loading the box]), the offensive line is Young and Talented.  They need a QB and they need Weapons and it clearly wasn't their intention to just throw a guy in there before the built the foundation.

The browns have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, (plus the first pick in the 3rd?) looks like possibly 2 picks in the top 10. 

They traded a comp 3rd for Jamie Collins (who if he didn't want to resign with them, guess what, would have gotten a comp 3rd).  They traded a 6th and 15 million dollars (which we weren't using on the cap) for a 2nd round pick, right now looks like it could be top 40.  They traded a 7th rounder for a punter, and turned it back into a 4th rounder the next year.

No, they don't have a QB yet, but the plan wasn't to go all in on winning right away, so whether we we are 0-8 or 2-6 WHO CARES.  They are obviously building for the future, not trying to put all their cards on the table right now...

Your whole front office is going to be fired next year. So the owner cares

7 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

This is how I envision pro-FO Browns fans:

This Browns regime actually has a number of Browns fans convinced that they know what they're doing despite an almost historically terrible start (wins/losses) to their reign. The roster is bottom 3 (or bottom 1) in the NFL. They have very few potential impact players other than Myles Garrett. Their coaching staff is in disarray. They're going to have to either reach for a QB prospect this year (none of these college guys look like a #1 lock type prospect) or overpay for someone in free agency. Even with a #1 overall QB, they're still probably 2-3 years away from even being mediocre.

The one thing the Browns actually have going in their favor is that the rest of their division seems vulnerable. The Steelers have tons of talent but Roethlisberger seems like he's at the end of the road. The Bengals are floundering and are hitched to Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis and the Ravens look like they need a serious retool/rebuild or a new QB. If Roethlisberger retires and if the Bengals/Ravens stay mediocre, the Browns could potentially have a surprise year in 2 years like the Rams this year who seem 1-2 years ahead of their expected development thanks in part to a slightly weaker than usual division) if they can land a QB. Of course, I don't know how anyone could have faith in them landing a good QB or identifying and acquiring a quality coach.

On 11/4/2017 at 10:47 AM, mcmurtry86 said:

This Browns regime actually has a number of Browns fans convinced that they know what they're doing despite an almost historically terrible start (wins/losses) to their reign. The roster is bottom 3 (or bottom 1) in the NFL. They have very few potential impact players other than Myles Garrett. Their coaching staff is in disarray. They're going to have to either reach for a QB prospect this year (none of these college guys look like a #1 lock type prospect) or overpay for someone in free agency. Even with a #1 overall QB, they're still probably 2-3 years away from even being mediocre.

I think my problem is that an almost unprecedented level of statistical failure and embarrassment is wiped aside because "who cares this was a longterm thing". This is team just failed with another QB, is going to be all but forced to take a mediocre prospect in this draft,  missed out on multiple solid QB's, and that's just one position. They basically just traded Garrett for Thomas in the last 10 years as an impact player. They just bungled a trade that makes them either look stupid or deceitful. After having an embarrassment of picks in the last draft, they are actually statistically worse than they were last year. The coach and the front office are at odds and it looks like the owner is ready to blow up one side again. 

I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

This Browns' present regime is bereft of football guys. They act like guys playing a video game. They accumulate draft picks as if that is an end in itself. In fact, they've had too many picks. If they had guts they would have taken a top QB in 2016 or 2017. In any event, Haslam should fire his FO guys and get some astute football guys to use the accumulated picks.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, AkronsWitness said:

At least there is a end goal with this regime and a plan. Other regimes operated off of signing a bunch of aging veteran stop gap players to 'my last paycheck' deals just to go 5-11 every year with no plan or end goal in sight.

What's the end goal? Accumulating picks that go nowhere? You need astute football guys to make picks early in the draft at the most important positions. The Browns' current FO simply does not have either the knowledge or stones to do that.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:52 PM, bzane said:

They'll be fine! Sashi and DePodesta enjoy a close, personal working relationship- the one almost knows what the other is thinking, at times!

Photo of Sashi and DePodesta, very much on the same page, Sashi: ("My, Paul's looking pretty guapo today!")

Image result for Sashi brown and Paul DePodesta

You make it sound as if this is the Dating Game. So what if these two guys are simpatico? They are not football guys, have no clue how to build a team, and the Browns are 1-23. If Browns fans are okay with this, I call it some permutation of Stockholm Syndrome.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:01 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes, kinda?

I mean, they selected 3 guys in the first round last season so it's not like they aren't using them.

But yeah, they want as many picks as possible.  Their philosophy is that even the best GM's only hit on 50% of their picks, so in order to improve their roster at a quicker rate than others they either have to hit on a significantly higher percentage of picks, which isn't statistically likely, OR draft more often. They've chosen the latter.

Unfortunately, you have no idea what these guys are thinking. 

On 10/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, mm6492 said:

Yea I see that. But still think you give them time. 

You don't give these rubes another year because the team is not improving. If this deal was working, there would be signs of improvement and games won. How much time do you need to see that this is not working? Some Browns fans seem content with losing.

Archived