2nd Quarter Mock 2018

Madmike90

Retain GM Ryan Pace…

I have always believed Pace was forced into the Fox hire because ownership wanted someone with experience…I would also say he has had more wins than loses when it comes to free agency and the draft so he gets to hire his own guy.

Fire HC John Fox…OC Dowell LoggainsDC Vic Fangio…ST Jeff Rodgers…

This is about as self-explanatory as anything you will see in football…the team is underprepared, poorly coached and poorly motivated…we haven’t been able to design an offence that puts our guys in position to win and our D has been vanilla for far too long…time to make a change.

Hire LA Rams OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach…

The NFL is a copycat league and we do exactly what the Rams did and take a young offensive mind who can come in and develop Trubisky…the change from year one to two in Jared Goff is frankly amazing…Goff has went from looking like a massive bust to being 12th in the NFL in YPG while having no elite receiving weapons and playing with a number of rookies…the Rams offence in year one are currently 9th in the NFL in yards…2nd in 3rd down pct and 1st in the NFL in PPG averaging over 30…I think LaFleur brings a readymade offence and despite his young age he has been working with QBs for the past seven years giving him more experience than some of the other young candidates…I’m changing it up from Nagy because of that added experience and some of the coaches he could be able to call upon to make up with staff.

Hire Cincinnati Bengals LB Coach Jim Haslett as Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Coach…

Much like the Rams did we should look to pair an innovative mind with an experienced head…Haslett was HC in New Orleans between 2000-2005…he served as DC for NO, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Washington…there isn’t much he won’t have seen in football and that experience would be excellent to pair with LaFleur with them both serving on the Redskins staff for a number of years.

Hire Dallas OL Coach Frank Pollack as Offensive Coordinator…

I expect LaFleur to be able to deal with implementing the offensive gameplan on a weekly basis and call plays which opens up the ability for us to find the best offensive line coach we can in order to build a wall in front of Trubisky and open up holes on the offensive line…Pollack has done an excellent job since 2015 turning the Cowboys into the best OL in football…we have some quality pieces in place for him to come here and do much the same especially if we can add to it this offseason…Dallas are 2nd best in the NFL in sacks allowed right now with 7…5th in QB hits…2nd in rushing YPA…Pollock and LaFleur worked on the same staff in Houston.

Hire Tennessee LB Coach Lou Spanos as Defensive Coordinator…

I would have no problem if Fangio wanted to stay but it becomes complicated with a new HC who has never had any known connection to the guy so if we do need to look for someone new I think we should stick with a 3-4 D…Spanos has some experience of calling defence all be in college with UCLA but his real experience comes from working under **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh…add in that he worked under Haslett and on the same staff as LaFleur in Washington and you add a guy with experience around some quality coaches and in an outstanding Pittsburgh scheme for 14 years…according to some of the players he has been around he is a ball of energy and should really help with our pass rushing LBs as that is his speciality.

Hire Baltimore AST Coach Chris Horton as Special Teams Coach…

Our special teams have been a joke for a number of years -  Dave Toub is the best ST coach in football so Nagy will understand the importance of it…Toub doesn’t have a long-term assistant but Baltimore have an excellent special team’s unit and Horton has worked under some excellent coaching staff including John Harbaugh which would give him a leg up when steeping up to a bigger role.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

WR…Dontrelle Inman

DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well and fits LaFleur’s scheme…Inman will make a solid #2/#3…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones has really started to come along…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller who again has really stepped up…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

RB…Taquan Mizzell

WR…Kendall Wright

WR…Josh Bellamy

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Connor Barth

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…Mizzell isn’t worth a roster spot…Wright hasn’t done enough to stick on the roster next year…time for Bellamy to go…Miller is getting older and has always been injury prone so no need to enter into a new deal with him…Sowell & Compton are both decent backups but hopefully lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…Acho hopefully loses our to younger guys…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Barth can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

OG…Josh Sitton

OLB…Pernell McPhee

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next seasons…Wheaton is being paid for not much…Sitton is the most interesting one and I feel I should explain…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…that is a lot and if we can sign Andrew Nowell at 26 years old for the same kind of money we would be on to a winner…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

QB…Drew Stanton…6-3” 233lbs…

Trubisky is off to a solid start as a starter but we need to bring in a backup who can guide him through the tough times…that is not Glennon or Sanchez…Stanton on the other hand is a QB who shares more of a skill set with Trubisky showing the ability to bootleg and move around in the pocket…he would be a solid fit in LaFleur’s scheme and hopefully a quality clipboard holder.

WR…Paul Richardson…6-0” 185lbs…

We have seen just how bad things have been without NFL calibre receivers and the last thing we can do is leave Trubisky out there for another season without help on the outside…Richardson has had some injury issues in the past but seems to be over then and he has become a true deep threat in Seattle…here he would add that speed and ability to spread the field which would open up our running game as well as the underneath routes for some of our bigger WRs like Cam on the outside.

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

OG…Andrew Norwell…6-6” 325lbs…

As I explained above this move would allow us to move on from Josh Sitton but upgrading to a younger healthy model for about the same price…Norwell is an excellent OG in both the passing and rushing game giving up just two sacks last season and finishing as PFF’s 7th overall OG…he would combine with Whitehair and Long to form unquestionably the best interior OL in the NFL and keep Trubisky upright as well as blowing open holes in the running game.

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

OLB…Aaron Lynch…6-6” 270lbs…

Time to start rebuilding the OLB position…you can never have enough pass rushers and right now we are sorely lacking…Floyd still has plenty of potential but under Fangio’s bend don’t break vanilla D he isn’t being used creatively enough…Young still get some sacks but is getting older…and I can’t see us holding on to McPhee at his price so we go for a younger option…Lynch started his NFL career with 12.5 sacks in his first two seasons but has fallen off since…he is a high upside low risk signing who with his size can play the strong side in the 3-4 as a base run defender who can also get after the QB and then on to the DL in the nickel.

CB…Ross Cockrell…6-0” 190lbs…

Another one of the more underrated players in the NFL…I was really surprised when the Steelers let Cockrell go to the Giants because he was their best CB…I have been a fan of his since he was coming out of Duke and while he isn’t a great athlete he plays with a ton of moxy and understands how to run the routes of the receivers…if we do get a DC like Bowles we know we will need a ton of DBs because of how he uses them in multiple positions.

K…Harrison Butker…6-4” 200lbs…

KC will more than likely have Santos back next season so we pick up Butker who is young with a big leg.

Draft…

Round 1…

OLB…Arden Key…6-6” 248lbs…LSU…

As I have said before we need to add playmakers on this D…with Amos finally playing his correct position at SS and Jackson looking like a long term solution at FS we don’t need to add a safety like James…we could go WR but I hate the idea of a receiver that high…so we go continue to rebuild the OLB spot…Key hasn’t had the explosion many expected this year but I feel that is a little down to health and possible the same as Fournette last year knowing that he is about to become a very high NFL pick…Key is an explosive presence on the outside combining size, length, strength and raw speed to terrorize QBs…the idea of him and Floyd coming off the edge at the same time would be horrifying for QBs as the two would be able to use each other to open their games up…Lou Spanos would have a great time coaching this duo.

Round 2…

WR…Dante Pettis…6-0” 185lbs…Washington…

IMO this is the best WR all round WR in college football right now…yes he is undersized in terms of weight but man this guy does it all…he is as smooth as silk in and out of his routes…he is not just fast in a straight line but he maintains that speed…he is savvy…great hands…will go up and get the ball…even tho his frame is very similar to Johnny Knox he is tough as hell and loves to block for his RBs…he can even throw…I love the idea of him lining up all over the formation which he has done at Washington with Richardson as a deep threat on one side and Meredith with his size on the other…makes things far tougher to cover and gives Trubisky some real weapons.

Round 4…

DE…Harrison Phillips…6-4” 295lbs…Stanford…

Bring your lunch pale and watch one of the toughest hardest working players in college football…Phillips doesn’t have elite physical tools but man he has a motor and works harder than anyone to get the best out of what he has…in Hicks and Goldman we have two of the best DLs in the NFL but behind them we need to add depth…Bullard has upside…adding a guy like Ellis would give us a big body inside but we still need more…Phillips shares a lot of the same trains as Unrein but is just a far better version…strong, tough no nonsense team leader who would add a lot of leadership to our D as much as his physical talents.

Round 4…

OT…Casey Tucker…6-6” 300lbs…Stanford…

Back to back Cardinals and for many of the same reasons…Tucker doesn’t have the physical tools to stick at LT in the NFL but he is a tough hard-working player who will give his all to the team…I feel Tucker could be a real steal in the 4th because he could compete with Massie for the RT spot…if he can win out then we can save more money and potentially turn around and sign Eddie Goldman to a long-term deal…upgrading the tackle spots should be a priority over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Round 5…

RB…Kamryn Pettway…6-0” 235lbs…Auburn…

This year’s Jordan Howard…Pettway won’t time very well but he is a tough big bodied RB who wares down defenders as the game goes on…for me Cohen isn’t a RB…he is an offensive weapon who has to be lined up in advantageous situations to get the best out of him…the more creative we can be with him the better but to do that we still need another battering ram to spell Howard and Pettway is just that.

Round 6…

CB…Jaylen Dunlap…6-0” 190lbs…Illinois…

This is an out and out flier on raw upside…Dunlap seems to be in the dog house with Lovie right now but last year he was productive showing speed and confidence in his coverage…he may very well lose out to other DBs trying to make the roster but the upside is there.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Drew Stanton                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Kamryn Pettway…Benny Cummingham

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Paul Richardson…Cameron Meredith…Kevin White

WR…Dante Pettis…Dontrelle Inman…Tre McBride III

OW…Tarik Cohen                                                           

TE…Dion Sims…Adam Shaheen…Troy Niklas

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Andrew Norwell…Jordan Morgan                    

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu                           

RG…Kyle Long…Eric Kush                             

RT…Bobby Massie…Casey Tucker                             

DL…Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis…Mitch Unrein

DL…Akiem Hicks…Jonathan Bullard…Harrison Phillips

LOLB…Arden Key…Aaron Lynch                 

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                 

ILB…Jerrell Freeman…Christian Jones                     

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Willie Young                        

NB…Kyle Fuller…Bryce Callahan                

CB…Prince Amukamara…Marcus Cooper…Jaylen Dunlap

CB…Ross Cockrell…Cre'Von LeBlanc                         

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Harrison Butker

LS…Andrew DePaola

The offenses that LaFleur has been a pet of have used a flex TE. Jordan Reed and Gerald Everett so may be a position to address.

A healthy Paul Robinsons interests me a ton.

Wouldnt move Fuller he is playing out of his mind and Cockerell is just a guy.

I would try and keep Fangio and Donatel. They have it cooking right now and I would give them a pay raise and autonomy..

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The offenses that LaFleur has been a pet of have used a flex TE. Jordan Reed and Gerald Everett so may be a position to address.

A healthy Paul Robinsons interests me a ton.

Wouldnt move Fuller he is playing out of his mind and Cockerell is just a guy.

I would try and keep Fangio and Donatel. They have it cooking right now and I would give them a pay raise and autonomy..

I still feel Shaheen could play somewhat as a flex...that was what he did a lot of at Ashland...

I would still have Fuller on the outside in base with Prince but when it comes to nickel D I don't think we can start Callaghan for another year and Fuller would be a real playmaker...

My first choice would be to keep Fangio and co but that could be difficult.

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I still feel Shaheen could play somewhat as a flex...that was what he did a lot of at Ashland...

I would still have Fuller on the outside in base with Prince but when it comes to nickel D I don't think we can start Callaghan for another year and Fuller would be a real playmaker...

My first choice would be to keep Fangio and co but that could be difficult.

I also think it will be interesting to see who the young keep between Young and McPhee.

McPhee as been better and better this season.

I like this mock. The few differences I would make is as of now I would take Bradley Chubb over Arden. To me he plays like McPhee and similar body types but has more upside. I also don’t know much about Pettis but will look into him, so I was interested in Anthony Miller from Memphis. 

I like this mock, but I think the biggest weakness here is that I don't know if it does enough to provide weapons on Offense.

I like Richardson, and I'd like to see him as a Bear, but I'm not convinced he's a #1.

I haven't seen a lot of game action of Pettis, but watching highlights, it looks like his route tree is pretty limited (this may not be the case, if I'm wrong here, please correct me).

At TE, this mock really puts a lot on Shaheen to develop, and I haven't seen very much from him thus far.

Given this offseason, I really don't see how Wright doesn't make the team, given that he's the leading receiver so far this year even though many weeks he's gotten limited snaps.

I like Richardson as an ascending player who’d be a good fit here but I don’t see Seattle letting him leave. They’re likely losing Graham this offseason which leaves them with basically just Baldwin and Lockett in the passing game. They’ve waited on Richardson to break out for 4 years now and he has at least to some degree. They’re probably going to want to see that through beyond this year. His FA price tag shouldn’t be prohibitive for them. Troy Niklas has 12 career catches. That shouldn’t move the needle for anyone at the TE position IMO.

Like Pettis too and was thinking of mocking him to us in the 2nd as well but I don’t see him as a future 1. Like Key but given the premium on pass rushers I don’t know that he’s still there in that 10-15 range where I expect we will be picking. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Richardson as an ascending player who’d be a good fit here but I don’t see Seattle letting him leave. They’re likely losing Graham this offseason which leaves them with basically just Baldwin and Lockett in the passing game. They’ve waited on Richardson to break out for 4 years now and he has at least to some degree. They’re probably going to want to see that through beyond this year. His FA price tag shouldn’t be prohibitive for them. Troy Niklas has 12 career catches. That shouldn’t move the needle for anyone at the TE position IMO.

Like Pettis too and was thinking of mocking him to us in the 2nd as well but I don’t see him as a future 1. Like Key but given the premium on pass rushers I don’t know that he’s still there in that 10-15 range where I expect we will be picking. 

They are super tight against the cap. Seattle also needs to regain Sheldon Richardson and just took on 10 million in Duane Brown for 2018.

Starting to go back over some of the games and one thing surprises me more than anything.

The OL has not need good and no where near the strength we thought it would be across the board.

Would not surprise me if they made a significant investment.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Starting to go back over some of the games and one thing surprises me more than anything.

The OL has not need good and no where near the strength we thought it would be across the board.

Would not surprise me if they made a significant investment.

Outside of Whitehair’s regression in terms of delivering shotgun snaps (better the past 2 weeks btw) much of the rest IMO can be attributed to lack of ingenuity in play calling. They are run blocking against 8-9 man fronts on early downs regularly (a low success play) and the majority of our 3rd down breakdowns along the line have been in clear cut passing situations when the D can tee off. We are fostering situations where the defense against us isn’t diagnosing after the snap or even guessing. Our trends are so set in stone that they basically know what is coming based on formation and personnel grouping, and that makes our injury-depleted OL’s job that much harder. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Outside of Whitehair’s regression in terms of delivering shotgun snaps (better the past 2 weeks btw) much of the rest IMO can be attributed to lack of ingenuity in play calling. They are run blocking against 8-9 man fronts on early downs regularly (a low success play) and the majority of our 3rd down breakdowns along the line have been in clear cut passing situations when the D can tee off. We are fostering situations where the defense against us isn’t diagnosing after the snap or even guessing. Our trends are so set in stone that they basically know what is coming based on formation and personnel grouping, and that makes our injury-depleted OL’s job that much harder. 

I am not sure it is all situations and play calling.

Long is clearly hurt so I am not going to worry too much about that.

Sitton has probably given up more pressure this season than he did in all 16 games last season, and he has been the best OLmen.

Whitehair has been solid

Massie and Leno though have not taken a step and Massie gets the help and Leno is left on an island.

Re-watching the Saints game and Compton and Sowell were brutal in the 2nd half.

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure it is all situations and play calling.

Long is clearly hurt so I am not going to worry too much about that.

Sitton has probably given up more pressure this season than he did in all 16 games last season, and he has been the best OLmen.

Whitehair has been solid

Massie and Leno though have not taken a step and Massie gets the help and Leno is left on an island.

Re-watching the Saints game and Compton and Sowell were brutal in the 2nd half.

I've felt the same way as well. Last year we we had a solid compliment of WRs but we also were not allowing much pressure for Hoyer or Barkley. There is a steady regression for this OL throughout the season.

Archived