T. Smith Injury

Texas_OutLaw7

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

That is interesting. Given Martin is on the right, I figured keeping Steele on that side would help.

Not crazy about a Steele, Williams, Badazz left side.

Steele went into the season expecting to be the swing tackle. He worked on both sides, and learned the playbook. I feel a lot more comfortable with him there, than I do with La’El.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Steele went into the season expecting to be the swing tackle. He worked on both sides, and learned the playbook. I feel a lot more comfortable with him there, than I do with La’El.

I hear what you are saying, but I think that Collins is more athletically gifted than Steele.

11 minutes ago, chumpy said:

I hear what you are saying, but I think that Collins is more athletically gifted than Steele.

This discussion is not about one getting the start and the other sitting on the bench. I would probably play Collins over Steele at RT, if Tyron is playing.

This conversation is about what to do if both of them are starting, and maximizing the output of your OL.

I know I’m getting rock solid RT play either way. I feel a lot more confident that Steele can put together competent LT play, especially in the short term. Surprised that isn’t the consensus, honestly. 

It will be interesting to see what they do if Smith is out.  A couple of points though at least we have a full week of practice to figure it out.  IT also is good that our 3 games in 11 days doesn't start for a couple weeks.  NOW,  after Steele has seemed so comfortable on  right side this year and Collins barely played I do think it will cause less "issues" to just have Collins no the left side leave Steele with Martin.  IT is a bummer that Smith is hurt right "now" other wise I still think the better option is Collins at GUARD but circumstances is limiting that to start.   Some one mentioned at one time that Collins not a good option at guard I think based on his "size".  While I don't know playing weight right now at 320 the only OL listed who is heavier is Nsekhe at 325. So I don't think size, strength is a huge issue though yes tackles use their muscles/weight distribution differently then a guard or center. 

To be honest it really is amazing....   We just played a game with our back up QB, and with out our "TOP"  OT's for the whole game and WON  a road game against a team that is considered a playoff contender.   THIS would not have happened two years ago. We would have lost by double digits and never even been in the game.  This really is a great indicator of not only our current depth but how the coaching staff is better prepared and capable of doing what it takes to win a game even when your star players are out.  OH by the way 6-1 and our BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER HAS YET TO SEE THE FIELD.  And for the first time in years Won 2 GAMES when the offense scored less then 21 points.

15 minutes ago, quiller said:

OH by the way 6-1 and our BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER HAS YET TO SEE THE FIELD.

:let it go matt:

:let it go... let it go:

I cant let it go. Micah, our best defensive player, has been playing each week. Tank is our most expensive player, but he is probably batting #4 in terms of importance. 

Edited by Matts4313

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I cant let it go. Micah, our best defensive player, has been playing each week. Tank is our most expensive player, but he is probably batting #4 in terms of importance. 

Last week. Sure.

Each week? No.

But I more or less agree with the argument. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, Matts4313 said:

Gregory is more explosive than tank imo 

so quick to the qb 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, Matts4313 said:

I agree, Tank is #4 now. But coming into the season, he would have been a runaway choice for #1, and I still do expect his return to make a big difference.