Maturity

naptownskinsfan

Ben Standig from the Athletic wrote a great article about optimism being gone from the Bucs playoff game last year, if you have the subscription you can read it here- https://theathletic.com/2947988/2021/11/11/standig-washington-readies-for-tampa-bay-rematch-with-optimism-from-playoff-run-all-but-gone/?source=user_shared_article

I wanted to highlight one key point he brought up and expanded upon: maturity.

Rivera began dropping a certain buzzword — “maturity” — during training camp, and it remains part of his patter months later. “I want to make sure that we understand that you just don’t show up and pick up where you left off,” he said on July 28. “I want to make sure we understand that we’ve got to work our way back to where we were last season. … What I’m talking about is understanding how to handle success and how to continue to work to create more success. That’s what I talk about when I say maturity.”

He’s resurfaced that screed repeatedly this season and often paired it with discipline, as in a lack thereof. Rivera also uses the analogy that climbing the mountain of success has no bearing on the next. His Week 10 counterpart, Tampa Bay’s Bruce Arians, preached the same message days after his team won the Super Bowl.

Then there is this

“That’s probably my biggest frustration,” Rivera said Wednesday. “That in spite of the expectations, I just kind of had a feeling that we felt we were going to be able to pick up right up here. That’s not how it works in this league. … If you’re not very good at the basics, you’ll struggle because you will have nothing to fall back on. …

“You have to do those details because there’s too many good football players in this league and they’ll find you making a mistake and they’ll exploit it. I think that’s the lesson I was hoping we would learn (after last season).”

So it sounds like a little bit like Rivera, despite talking about accountability since Day One, let this place become a little bit like Club Jay again.  The same Jay Gruden who seemed to have no issue benching players for subpar performances, so there are different aspects to accountability for sure.  

But either way you cut it, there is a huge difference from last year to this year, and we actually added talent and did not see much of it leave.  It is very concerning that this has seemed to happen again, with yet another head coach presiding over the mess.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ben Standig from the Athletic wrote a great article about optimism being gone from the Bucs playoff game last year, if you have the subscription you can read it here- https://theathletic.com/2947988/2021/11/11/standig-washington-readies-for-tampa-bay-rematch-with-optimism-from-playoff-run-all-but-gone/?source=user_shared_article

Then there is this

So it sounds like a little bit like Rivera, despite talking about accountability since Day One, let this place become a little bit like Club Jay again.  The same Jay Gruden who seemed to have no issue benching players for subpar performances, so there are different aspects to accountability for sure.  

But either way you cut it, there is a huge difference from last year to this year, and we actually added talent and did not see much of it leave.  It is very concerning that this has seemed to happen again, with yet another head coach presiding over the mess.  

It’s been obvious. We were hearing so much battles this and battles that but when I saw this team it was Terry then there was everyone else. Terry going 💯 everyone else going through drills. Ryan Kerrigan used to go full speed in practice. Nobody when I saw this team this offseason was outside of Terry and I’ll give Juste credit he looked legit both times I put eyes on him. It’s very sad but you can’t tell me they didn’t buy into the well we kept up with the champs height. But that team was playing a physical brand of ball. This year we look like we’re playing finesse and I def don’t want my defense known for finesse!!

• Like 1

What I mean by this is Ryan Kerrigan was a leader you let him walk and he didn’t even sign for that much in Philly. It wasn’t about money we had the money. You let Moses a leader go. Your leaders became Brandon I am doing everything to get the most money I can before I leave Schreff, and John Bostic and Landon Collins. Last year Ryan gave us something else. It wasn’t just numbers leaders and veteran input on the sideline with guys matter. This team year in and year out struggle with depth we could have groomed Cosmi on the field to take over Moses spot. We let starter level players go instead of being coaches and saying this is what we need you to do. IMO our locker room has a ego issue and they need to be told that from the staff. Don’t say your doing enough if your not. Rivera is saying what he can to protect his players in effort to keep this in house. But I know he’s taking notes because there may be key players being moved simply for not putting forth the effort this staff saw them put out last year.

• Like 1

I remember listening to Rivera’s interviews & Ben Standings’s interviews on the radio. The way I see it is some of this is obviously on the young players on this team and a lot of times people forget how truly young most of this team is but, when I hear Rivera say this I just see it as an excuse for him. He’s the head coach, he and his staff need to do a better job of cultivating this youth and instilling more maturity in them. People have talked about all year how there seems to not be enough accountability for this team, and that starts at the top w/ Rivera.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I remember listening to Rivera’s interviews & Ben Standings’s interviews on the radio. The way I see it is some of this is obviously on the young players on this team and a lot of times people forget how truly young most of this team is but, when I hear Rivera say this I just see it as an excuse for him. He’s the head coach, he and his staff need to do a better job of cultivating this youth and instilling more maturity in them. People have talked about all year how there seems to not be enough accountability for this team, and that starts at the top w/ Rivera.

I was about to say I think Rivera needs to realize this team rallied around veteran leadership. These young guys need to step up they are pros but it starts from college

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Then there is this

People rarely admit this, but I also give a lot of credit to the maturity changing last year and the mentorship/leadership changing last year when Alex Smith took over as QB. There’s a direct line to our season turning around and to our team starting to execute better when Alex took over as the starting QB. 

On top of those that @ripsean21 mentioned, Alex Smith was another player that Rivera didn’t want to play and didn’t want to keep with good reason bc of his cap hit and his leg injury/limitations but, regardless they miss his leadership and his leadership arguably meant as much or more than Rivera’s last year - especially on our young and inexperienced offense.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3