We Need Another ILB In 2022

soulman

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Mitch was an outright bust. Floyd is a good player but never played like a top 10 pick. The only guy who didn't disappoint was Roquan.

1) Mitch was an outright bust;  I disagree

2) Floyd never played like a top 10 pick;  Can you tell me what one is supposed to play like.  Would how he's playing for LA do it?

3) The only guy who didn't disappoint was Roquan;  How many top 10 disappointments are drafted every single year?

Look, I'm not a Pace fan boy but with some of you guys it's like you believe Ryan Pace is the only GM who ever had some high draft picks go south on him.  As a franchise level QB Mitch was a disappointment but he was not a bust.  He came in here during the preseason and stuck that label right up Nagy's ***.   Floyd had 10.5 sacks in 2020 and is on target for 12-13 this year.  Seems LA figured out how to turn him into a good edge rusher.

Some of the reasoning behind our record can be laid at Pace's feet but I'd say 20%-25% at most.  They rest is in subpar coaching by Nagy and Co.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

As a franchise level QB Mitch was a disappointment but he was not a bust.

He was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL throughout his time with the Bears. Was he Ryan Leaf? No. He was the Bears' version of Blake Bortles.

Floyd had 10.5 sacks in 2020 and is on target for 12-13 this year.  Seems LA figured out how to turn him into a good edge rusher.

I stated that Pace didn't get enough value out of his top 10 picks. What Floyd does with another team isn't really relevant. He didn't provide that value here. And before you blame coaching, remember that Brandon Staley is the Rams' DC. This is a quote from Floyd himself:

"We’ve both got the same styles,” Floyd said of his two employers. “Just different players, different bodies. We’re both pretty much running the same stuff, really."

How many top 10 disappointments are drafted every single year?

• The average Career Value for top 10 picks from 2015-2018 is around 30. Pace's picks have a Career Value of 22.
  • Top 10 picks from 2015-2018 have been to 46 Pro Bowls. Pace's 4 picks have made only 1 Pro Bowl appearance.
  • Of the teams making top 10 picks, the Bears rank 16/23 in median Career Value. Of the 7 that were worse, 5 teams have gone through a GM change.

I am not trying to be harsh or unfair. But the Bears were the only team with 4 consecutive top 10 picks. And what do they have to show for it? 3 of the 4 are not even with the team. When you're that bad, you count on those picks to turn around your franchise. Pace had 4 bites at the apple and failed to pick one of those elite, top-100 type players.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 10:42 PM, soulman said:

In a 4-3 I believe Smith would be an ideal weak side OLB much like Briggs.  Kwit would have been our guy to play the "Mike" position.  If we shift back to a 4-3 I believe we need a MLB more like him.  Kwit was a "banger".   JMHO

I think Smith could handle it just fine. He makes tons of plays behind, or along, the LOS as it is. 

But whatever. If Smith has to shift to being the best weakside linebacker in football, then so be it. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Smith could handle it just fine. He makes tons of plays behind, or along, the LOS as it is. 

But whatever. If Smith has to shift to being the best weakside linebacker in football, then so be it. 

Yeah no doubt that in the modern day NFL Smith would be an elite MLB or WLB...I probably keep him as MLB and add another really quick WLB...both would basically be nickel backers anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Well we have bigger worries than what kind of base front the Bears will play in 2022.  It's not on my docket right now.  They already play some 4-3 type fronts now with Edwards lining up as a 3 tech DT and Mack has been used that way as well.  

I'm not entirely sure that is true. What has been my beef with the 3-4, all along? If you run into problems with your 3-4 defensive linemen, no team will have the proper depth to overcome that, and your entire defense becomes a mess. It's exactly what's happening with the Bears at the moment. 

Decent team building and management can fix everything else. And some it rather quickly.