We Need Another ILB In 2022

soulman

The slide is unmistakable, as the Bears defense drops from first in the league against the run in 2018 to 23rd now.

Each year they've descended a bit in the rankings against the run and it's a fatal flaw in the NFL.

When a team can't stop the run, it gives offenses the easiest way to exploit them and cuts down the possibility of turnovers. Then it opens up the play-action passing game.

At the same time, Bears tackling has diminished noticeably since 2018.

They're lacking at an important position on defense for stopping the run and that's inside linebacker. Roquan Smith can't do everything, although they've been asking him to do this for a few years now.

When the Bears look for help in the offseason through the draft or free agency they will need to consider an inside linebacker starter a priority.

They're still getting by with 30-something Danny Trevathan and street free agent Alec Ogletree. If designated a post-June 1 cut next year, Trevathan would provide $3.5 million cap savings according to Overthecap.com. Ogletree is a free agent after this season.

The players behind them have never shown promise to ascend to a starting role now. Christian Jones will be 31 next season and wasn't an effective starter for Detroit. At this point in his career he is a versatile backup.

So they must find an inside linebacker either in free agency or in the draft capable of starting, and not one who will go in Round 1 obviously, as they lack a first-round pick.

NFL Draft Bible's top 100 players are out and there are a couple of inside linebackers who might pique their interest as Round 2-3 types.

Christian Harris, Alabama

Besides playing in the defense for a traditional defensive power, Harris is a leader on the field and can cover the pass or defend the run.

Lorenz Leinweber of NFL Draft Bible cites Harris' inconsistency as a tackler as a reason he might not be one of the best players in the draft.

"He is not a reliable tackler, getting juked out due to a lack of twitch and often coming in too high," Leinweber wrote in an assessment for the web site. "In zone (coverage), he does not have the desired instincts, struggling to locate routes behind him and playing with bad spacing at times."

However, the overall assessment is positive.'

"Athletically gifted linebacker with explosiveness and length," Leinweber wrote. "Harris is a modern-day player able to run cover and blitz. He has the physical traits and leadership qualities coveted."

NFL Draft Bible currently has Harris as No. 54 in their top 100, which would most likely would put him in Round 2 striking distance for the Bears.

Brian Asamoah II, Oklahoma

Currently ranked 69th by NFL Draft Bible in the top 100, this would put Asamoah into a third-round level or possibly later as the boards take shape.

Asamoah was described by NFL Draft Bible's Cory McCann Ezring as a player who defends both the run and pass.

"While still raw, Asamoah has displayed a strong base in coverage," Ezring wrote. "He boasts excellent spatial awareness and understands route development."

A big concern the Bears might have is whether they actually are still playing the 3-4 base next year if the turn over the coaching staff. Asamoah's all-around skills make him ideal either way.

Asamoah is relatively inexperienced and it shows in the criticism the analysis offers. He is probably at his best against the pass. He was cited for improper gap assignments against the run. In pass coverage his tendencies are more in line with any young linebacker.

"Asamoah often bites prematurely on route combinations in zone coverage," Ezring wrote. "In man coverage, he practices poor eye discipline; by glancing into the backfield, the Sooners' standout offers his opponents a blind spot."

The overriding word describing Asamoah is "raw," and it's used in several instances. It might be a reason for a team considering him a third- or fourth-round defender.

NFL DRAFT BIBLE'S EARLY TOP 100 FOR 2022 

Channing Tindall, Georgia

What better way to complement a Georgia inside linebacker than with another. Tindall would be a good sidekick for Smith as a do-everything linebacker who has an excellent team attitude.

Tindall never minded the fact he didn't start in his first three years and kept performing well in spot duty before becoming starter this year. He led the Bulldogs in tackles with 45 through nine games

"There are no true starters ever," he was quoted as saying by Brooks Austin of Dawgs Daily.

So Tindall didn't mind being a backup until he was called on to start. Tindall was supposed to be behind Nakobe Dean and Quay Walker but is an effective starter now at 6-foot-2, 230. His speed, size and ability to take the right tackling angles give him NFL starting potential.

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper currently has Tindall in fourth on his chart of top inside linebackers, which could put him in the third to fourth round and in a place where he might be of interest to the Bears.

Twitter: BearDigest@onFanNation

Edited by soulman

Priority number one is to protect Fields

Priority two is to get weapons for him

Three is to shore up the defense

I agree we need more youth and talent but I think ILB will need to have a patchwork player for 2022. Ogletree can be re-signed for cheap enough and DT needs cut. That $3.5 mil should more than Ogletree needs. 

CB needs more attention. Goldman needs to prove he is worth keeping (hopefully he keeps the momentum from the last game). Nichols has been disappointing too so who fights for a starting role against him?

There's a lot of spots that arent "owned" right now and there will be a number of bargain bin players competing for starting roles. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Get dominant monsters up front and ILBs will look good.  Don’t waste high picks on ILBs.  

These are guys who currently rank as 2nd or 3rd day picks.  Me, I'd take the kid from Georgia.  The Dawgs typically turn out great LBs and I'm betting Roquan would love to have a fellow Bulldog as a playing partner to mentor.  We gotta find some ILB help somewhere.  DT is a shell of his former self and Ogletree will be 31 if we bring him back.  This is where not signing Kwit instead of DT was another foolish decision.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

CB needs more attention. Goldman needs to prove he is worth keeping (hopefully he keeps the momentum from the last game). Nichols has been disappointing too so who fights for a starting role against him?

Goldman has been picking up steam.  The Pitt game was his best so far.  Nichols is another guy whose been trying to play with some annoying injuries but we already know what he can do when he's 100%.  He's not lagging far behind his 2019 production so if he and Goldman can pick it up a bit during the next 8 games we may see both in a different light.

Khyris Tonga is the guy I want to see succeed.  If they play him a little more I think he might be able to take on Hicks role or if we can bring Hicks back cheaply enough platoon with him for another year getting the benefit of what Hicks can teach him.  Or if we can't bring Hicks back then maybe we do the same with Tonga and Blackson.

• Like 2

I would love another missile at ILB but there are only so many resources to go around and the combination of Danny T and a probably returning Ogletree is enough to see us by another year...

I would however be really aggressive in the UDFA market in trying to find the fastest ILBs and hopefully land on someone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would love another missile at ILB but there are only so many resources to go around and the combination of Danny T and a probably returning Ogletree is enough to see us by another year...

I would however be really aggressive in the UDFA market in trying to find the fastest ILBs and hopefully land on someone.

Ogletree maybe but DT needs to hang up his cleats.  He's lost a whole lot of speed and is only hangin' on by a thread physically.  A career full of injuries have taken their toll on a guy who was a very good ILB.

We might find another ILB in FA who has a skill set that fits but I wouldn't ignore the position in the draft either.  You don't need to spend a top pick on one.  Just find a guy like that kid from GA who has good wheels and can tackle well.  Our ILBs are not the "banger" type we ask to plug gaps.

I still stand by my belief they should have moved Snowden to ILB next to roquan..... The kid is gigantic and still fluid in space.  IMO too lanky to be the edge they want him to be, but putting someone that size roaming in the middle and potentially in coverage, and you've got a mismatch other teams don't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Agreed. Question is where do we attack in FA/draft to address these issues?

Hard to say since we don't know who is running the system. Daboll and Moore are my two favorites but I'll have to look at them. Might make a target list for them and Lefteich tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Get dominant monsters up front and ILBs will look good.  Don’t waste high picks on ILBs.  

If the football gods smile upon us, we may have a new coach and a new GM who will do the intelligent thing and ****can the 3-4 defense entirely. 

Then ILB doesn't even become much of a concern. 

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Khyris Tonga is the guy I want to see succeed.  If they play him a little more I think he might be able to take on Hicks role or if we can bring Hicks back cheaply enough platoon with him for another year getting the benefit of what Hicks can teach him. 

Nagy and Desai's handling of Tonga is an enigma. Has there been any other D-Lineman who has made more splash plays? 

Edited by Heinz D.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If the football gods smile upon us, we may have a new coach and a new GM who will do the intelligent thing and ****can the 3-4 defense entirely. 

Then ILB doesn't even become much of a concern. 

ILB doesn't but MLB does and IMHO we don't really have a 4-3 MLB.  Roquan Smith would be more of a weak side OLB in a 4-3.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Because he's too small?

Like Singletary was? 

Same size but a much different style player.

Samurai Mike was a "banger".  He was a guy who'd lurk then meet a RB in the gap and destroy him.  He relied on coiled power.

Roquan Smith is a guy who will shoot that gap and bring a RB down behind the LOS.  His game is based far more on speed and range.  He's more of smaller version of Urlacher whereas IMHO Singletary was a smaller version of Butkus.  And much like Urlacher I believe Roquan can do more when he's protected by his DL and isn't having to disengage from an OL.

The game is also much different.  An ILB/MLB is far more involved in pass coverage now than one was in the 80s.  In a 4-3 I believe Smith would be an ideal weak side OLB much like Briggs.  Kwit would have been our guy to play the "Mike" position.  If we shift back to a 4-3 I believe we need a MLB more like him.  Kwit was a "banger".   JMHO

• Like 2