2022 and Beyond

wcblack34

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings were to hire Doug Pederson, which I am all for and his name seems to be the most common being discussed. How would fans handle Matt Nagy as his offensive coordinator? 

If Pederson is hired, I’d assume he’s basically be running the offense and calling plays. So can’t imagine Nagy would have a ton of influence at the end of the day. Being a coordinator got him a HC job so he must be pretty good at it to get HC consideration. I’d be more interested in who Pederson would want as a DC. Vikes would have to be near the top of the list if you’re an offensive minded head coach. An elite WR duo, a young and talented OL and a borderline top 10 QB under contract who’s pretty much in their peak. 

Edited by vikingsrule

23 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d be more interested in who Pederson would want as a DC.

This is what I’ve been trying to come up ideas for, not just Pederson, but any new HC. And it’s got me wondering if someone might not try to bring back a familiar face. 

What about the idea of bringing back Jerry Gray, or even George Edwards and giving them control of the defense? 

However, Vic Fangio would be my #1 target if/when he’s let go by Denver. 

As for “fresh faces”, I think Kris Richard would be a good option. Eric Henderson, Eric Washington, or Brendan Daly (familiar name) might solid options. 

Also, someone like Gus Bradley could become available if the Raiders’ staff is purged. 

Edited by SemperFeist

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This is what I’ve been trying to come up ideas for. And not just Pederson, but any new HC. And it’s got me wondering if someone might not try to bring back a familiar face. 

What about the idea of being back Jerry Gray, or even George Edwards and giving them control of the defense? 

However, Vic Fangio would be my #1 target if/when he’s let go by Denver. 

Who was his DC the super bowl season? 

21 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Remember when people posted mock offseasons? We used to have dozens of those every season. I miss that.

Just for you:

Minnesota Vikings 2022 Mock Offseason!!!

NEW HEAD COACH: Matt Campbell, 41 years old, Iowa St. – Campbell has received serious interest in the past from the Jets and Lions. Two perennial dumpster fires. The chance to come to a Midwest team with an established Quarterback and start skill players final convinces Campbell that the time is right for a move to the NFL. Campbell has a highly regarded offensive mind and appears to be the type of guy who can change the culture of a team.

EXTENSIONS:

Kirk Cousins – 4 years/$200MM with the final two years voidable. I’m not good with the numbers, but essentially I envision this contract reducing Kirk’s cap hit in 2022 to around $32-35MM and giving him some up front money in exchange for an out after the 2024 season. (Cap Savings $10-13MM)

Danielle Hunter – 6 years/$186MM. A good chunk of this would be paid at signing so that Hunter could reduce his 2022 cap hit from about $26MM to $18-20MM. It puts him among the highest paid defensive players in the league, and has a length that should prove to be good value to the Vikings if he stays healthy. (Cap savings $6-8MM).

RESTRUCTURES:

Eric Kendricks: Convert salary to signing bonus to spread out hit (Cap savings $3MM)

RELEASED PLAYERS:

I don’t anticipate anyone being released this offseason for cap savings. Some will lose their roster spots in Training Camp.

RESIGNED PLAYERS: 

Greg Joseph: 3 years/3.4MM - Has earned the chance to be the long term answer. This team cannot keep cylcling through kickers every season and expect different results.

Jordan Berry: 2 years/2.1MM - Hasn't been spectacular from a numbers standpoint, but hasn't allowed big returns and has had minimal touchbacks. Seems very adept as a holder also.

Andrew Depaola: 2 years/1.9MM - Maintaining the status quo for Joseph and Berry.

Tyler Conklin: 3 years/8.0MM - He's not a #1 TE. But he's a damn solid #2 TE. Him and Irv worked well together in limited action. Tyler has shown he can hold down the fort ina pinch.

Mason Cole: 2 years/5.2MM - Solid veteran depth at Guard and Center. Don't think you want him as your opening day starter, but when the injuries happen, he's more than serviceable.

FREE AGENCY:

Kevin King (CB): The Vikings address a Cornerback spot with the best young CB on the market AND weaken a division rival in the process. King isn’t Revis/Woodson/Sanders, but he is young and can be relied on for the next several years.

Jadeveon Clowney (DE): Clowney will be 29 next season. He is surprisingly stout against the run, even if the all-time great sackmaster predictions never came true. Lining him up opposite of Hunter will instantly improve our defense. With the young DE’s already on the roster, he can be used more sparingly to keep him fresh.

2022 NFL DRAFT:

TRADE – Minnesota Vikings trade RB Dalvin Cook and a 2023 4th Round Pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 2022 2nd Round; 2023 2nd Round Pick, and 2023 6th Round Pick. (Cap Savings $2.7MM

I presume the Vikings will draft somewhere between 8 and 10 (as I see them losing to the Steelers, Rams, Packers, and Bears once).

1 – Andrew Booth Jr. (CB – Clemson) – The Vikings get a young, athletic, long Cornerback with all of the tools to develop into a true lockdown guy. Booth/King/Dantzler will have some growing pains, but will be a solid foundation moving forward.

TRADE – Minnesota Vikings trade their own 2022 2nd Round Pick and their 2023 2nd Round Pick to … let’s say New England … for their 1st Round Pick in 2022

1(NE) – Devin Lloyd (LB – Utah) – After Eric Kendricks, there isn’t anything of note at Linebacker. Lloyd is super athletic and can move from sideline to sideline. He has good size and is comfortable in coverage.

2(Tampa) – Kingsley Enagbare (DE/Edge – South Carolina) – Has nearly ideal size for a DE. He’s explosive and will be a dynamic pass rusher…something we’ve lacked without Hunter.

3 – John Michael Schmitz (C- Minnesota) – The Vikings won’t be picking up Bradbury’s 5th year option. Schmitz can be a day one starter, or the Center in waiting when Bradbury leaves after next season.

5 – Khaill Shakir – (WR – Boise State)

6 – Kyren Williams – (RB – Notre Dame)

6 (Jets) – Tanner McKee (QB – Stanford) – Next Tom Brady (or not).

6 (Chiefs) – A Safety/CB/DB

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, speaking of 2022. The Vikings are currently projected to be $7.3M over the expected $208M salary cap. 

A.) How do you get under that number?

B.) How do you retain, or adequately replace, Barr, Peterson, Richardson, Woods, Vigil, Alexander, Griffen, Cole, and Conklin? All of whom are either starters or key contributors.

C.) How do you bring in outside talent to correct issues elsewhere on the roster?

D.) How do you afford the incoming draft class?

E.) How do you keep enough cap space for operating during the season?

The easiest route to answering that question would be to trade Cousins.

Barr and Woods are as good as gone. Bynum can fill in for Woods, but I don't have a lot of faith in any non-Kendricks LB's in a full-time role. I'm curious as to the market that Barr will get.

I don't think Alexander, Griffen, or Cole are going to be signing bank-breaking contracts and should all be reasonably affordable. I'd look to bring them back.

Conklin and Peterson could get decent offers elsewhere. Peterson has mentioned he's enjoyed Minnesota but does that change if/when Zimmer is fired?

Without trading Cousins the answer get a lot muddier. I'd have to think a lot more on that one.

Does moving on from Cook move the needle at all? I know he’s still really good, not arguing that; he’s a top 5 RB. But do you really need a top 5 RB to have an effective running game and is his cap hit worth it? Doesn’t seem like there’s a really good out until 2023.