2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, Madmike90 said:

In this scheme there are not 10 better interior pass rushers in the NFL.

This is what we just got done doing…over paying, albeit not drastically, for a player we desperately need to have to run a scheme.

That type of process is how you make mistakes and over pay guys.

Just now, WindyCity said:

This is what we just got done doing…over paying, albeit not drastically, for a player we desperately need to have to run a scheme.

That type of process is how you make mistakes and over pay guys.

Again it is not overpaying if the guy is a top 10 fit for your scheme.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again it is not overpaying if the guy is a top 10 fit for your scheme.

I do think scheme fit matters. But I think NFL teams talk themselves into their scheme elevating a guy to meet the contract they are giving him a lot.

Edited by WindyCity

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Of course it does.

How is the thought process with Ogunjobi any different than with Jimmy Graham.

-We desperately need a guy at this position to run the scheme.

-There are only a handful of these guys in free agency.

-We will pay whatever it takes to land that guy on day 1.

Before you say it, they are different players, but the flawed thought process is the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

None of us have time to watch 17 games of any player and chart it.

They are a useful cross check to what you are seeing.

I do not think they are perfect or gospel by any stretch.

It’s not a cross check if you yourself aren’t watching the games. You’re  choosing to accept their opinion as fact. You either believe in PFF’s stuff or you don’t. Choosing to believe their “research” only when it fits your narrative severely undermines your own credibility. If you think they’re ******* crazy for the 46.3 rating they gave Roquan in 2021 (going out on a small limb here and assuming that you do) in games I’m sure you actually did watch in which he’s obviously a stud then how can you put ANY credibility on what they say about Ogunjobi in games you didn’t watch?

To summarize, to make sure I’m understanding correctly, you’re taking the position here that a 27-year old DT who had 7.5 sacks last year and was #2 in the league in TFL from the DT position was not only overpaid, but grossly overpaid, for having landed a FA contract as the TENTH highest paid player at his position, principally on the basis of the word of a team of non-credentialed and anonymous film jockeys who have been proven time and time again to be completely off base in their evaluations? 

• Like 2