2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

We all know our offseason has already began so lets get on with it.

Which players would you like to see us target?

A few names I would mind.

Tyrod, Teddy, or Winston (injury depending) wouldn't be bad options All 3 are mobile so they should be able to fit into any scheme built around Fields.

Davonte Adams-- He would be expensive but also a dream signing that would make Fields very happy. Adams and Mooney would compliment each other very well. Cons...NONE. He's undeniably one of the best WRs in the league. 

Chris Godwin -- A solid, young, well-rounded player with reliable hands and good height and can line up at any position. A damn good blocker too as an added bonus. Cons...good at everything but a master of nothing.

Allen Lazard --Always like him. Would be good depth. He's a big target at 6'5 who can stretch the field for a guy his size. Cons.. hands are sometimes unreliable, doesn't often play up to his size, and has trouble getting separation on a consistent basis.

Micheal Gallup--Another solid option. He's not ever going to be a true #1 but he could be a solid #2 and should come relatively cheap. A versatile deep threat who would be best used in the slot to attack the seams downfield and short/intermediate.  Cons.....inconsistency. Disappears for lengths at a time.

Evan Engram--He has yet to live up to his draft billing but it's also hard to gauge how much of that is from playing on the Giants. You can't question his talent....his ceiling is thru the roof. Kmet has been a bit of a disappointment as a Y but he's a good blocker. Sign Engram to take over the Y and move Kmet back to the U. Cons....none.

David Njoku--Another TE with untapped potential. He's been kind of buried on the Browns while splitting targets with Hopper and Harrison. Same as above....move to Y and Kmet at U.

With the needs we have an after the last few games CB quite obviously a necessity that probably can't be met in the draft I figure top dollar FA $$$ needs to be spent there if there's anyone worth pursuing.

WR is another huge hole.  I like Gallup as a FA and Chris Olave in the draft if we can get him.  It appears they see Mooney as a potential #1 WR so a trio of Mooney, Gallup, and Olave along with bringing back Goodwin for another year should give us a decent WR core.

I'll pass on other positions for now.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

With the needs we have an after the last few games CB quite obviously a necessity that probably can't be met in the draft I figure top dollar FA $$$ needs to be spent there if there's anyone worth pursuing.

WR is another huge hole.  I like Gallup as a FA and Chris Olave in the draft if we can get him.  It appears they see Mooney as a potential #1 WR so a trio of Mooney, Gallup, and Olave along with bringing back Goodwin for another year should give us a decent WR core.

I'll pass on other positions for now.

I haven't really looked at defense yet. I'm just throwing some names is all. Qb class is weak and I'd rather not spend what few draft picks we have on one. And if we have a chance to get Fields a true #1 in Davonte Adams then we would be foolish to pass it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I haven't really looked at defense yet. I'm just throwing some names is all. Qb class is weak and I'd rather not spend what few draft picks we have on one. And if we have a chance to get Fields a true #1 in Davonte Adams then we would be foolish to pass it up.

If we have the $$$ to spend on Adams great.  Given the cap issues GB has the only way they can keep him is if Rodgers is gone and if Rodgers is gone why would Adams stay?  It really does look like this is "The Last Dance" for these two in GB.

The reason I'm focusing on CB in FA is right now CB is a disaster and we can't wait for a rookie to develop.  We need a starting caliber LCB now and we don't draft high enough to be assured to getting the top one or two rookie CBs.

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

If we have the $$$ to spend on Adams great.  Given the cap issues GB has the only way they can keep him is if Rodgers is gone and if Rodgers is gone why would Adams stay?  It really does look like this is "The Last Dance" for these two in GB.

The reason I'm focusing on CB in FA is right now CB is a disaster and we can't wait for a rookie to develop.  We need a starting caliber LCB now and we don't draft high enough to be assured to getting the top one or two rookie CBs.

Taking a quick glance at possible FA CBs and I'm not seeing anyone that really strikes me as a 'must have'.

Could bring back Kyle Fuller since he's more than likely done in Denver, especially if Fangio gets axed.

I can't see Carolina not extending Gilmore after trading for him but he would be interesting if he is available.

Vernon Hargreaves might be a cheap option but I'm skeptical of him. If he couldn't work out in Bowles defense then I'm not sure he ever will.

Casey Heyward and Chris Harris would've been worth a look 3 years ago but not so much in 2022 IMO.

Tough to really get into who we should target in FA when we don’t know who the HC will be but a few names I like…

QB…Colt McCoy…Brian Hoyer…A.J McCarron…

We are going to be looking for a cheap backup QB next season with Fields as the unquestioned started…really like McCoy has he still has a little bit of mobility…Hoyer understands some of the offences I hope we have…McCarron is a guy I have always liked as a backup.

WR…Chris Godwin…Michael Gallup…Christian Kirk…

We need to find a playmaker at WR in both FA and the Draft…Godwin would be the big money do it all signing…Gallup is where the smart money is if we are looking for a #1 outside WR…Kirk is the guy I want if we go with an offence than values the slot receiver.

TE…O.J Howard…

Upside is huge…just hasn’t put it together…for the right price and with the right coach he could be a steal.

OT…Josh Wells…Will Richardson…

Can never go wrong with upgrading the backup OT position…Wells has been really good as a 3rd tackle in Tampa in limited duty and is more of a true backup LT…Richardson is a guy I really liked in the draft a few years back…have just not put it all together in Jacksonville (who has?)

OG…Ted Karras…Andrew Norwell…

Karras is very underrated and brings the versatility we seem to value in our interior OL…Norwell is a veteran presence inside who would bring real size at the position and be a fit in some schemes.

C…Ryan Jensen…Ben Jones…

Jensen would cost a lot but he is a tone setter upfront and would bring a totally different attitude to what we have…Jones would be a stop gap who again would cost a good bit of money but he is a very good centre.

DL…Tim Settle…

Cost effective NT option who hasn’t been great this year but was excellent in 2020.

EDGE…Ifeadi Odenigbo…

Another cheap DL who was better in 2020 than he has been this year but still young enough to bounce back…13 QB hits in 2019…15 QB hits in 2020 with a combined 10.5 sacks…would have value as a #4 edge.

ILB…Elandon Roberts…

Plays bigger and tougher than his size suggests…reckon he would be a perfect foil for Roquan as a guy who would do the dirty work inside.

CB…Kyle Fuller…Levi Wallace…Fabian Moreau…Anthony Averett…

We know what we are getting with Fuller at CB…Wallace is a young ascending player…Moreau would give us far more speed at CB than we have had in a number of years…Averett is an under the radar guy who would make nice depth and could be competition for others.

S…Ronnie Harrison…Duron Harmon…Adrian Phillips…

Harrison is a young, physical & athletic safety who would add some versatility…Harmon would be a veteran presence at SS…Phillips is underrated on the back end and would be an excellent pick up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

OT…Josh Wells

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

C…Ryan Jensen

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anthony Averett

45 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Adrian Phillips

Some good calls here mike. I'm esp digging these.  I also like Calvin Anderson too at LT...solid depth behind Bolles and groomed under Munchek. 

Jensen would be a great get.  I really wanted the Bears to draft Averett.....good intangibles. And your right about Phillips being underrated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if GB has a fire sale (particularly on defense), just so they can keep Adams AND Rodgers. Of course, they'd have to re-do Rodgers' contract AGAIN...but that's just how it goes...

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if GB has a fire sale (particularly on defense), just so they can keep Adams AND Rodgers. Of course, they'd have to re-do Rodgers' contract AGAIN...but that's just how it goes...

I suppose anything is possible but Aaron sounds like he's done with GB.

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

There's no reason to cut Foles at this point. Unless that next QB2 has a cap hit of less than 3M, you're not saving any money.

Bring back Mitch.  Bring back Mitch.  Bring back Mitch.   LOL

We don't want Andy "the misfiring rifle" Dalton back or Nick "the ****" Foles back.  We want another mobile QB who can run the very same offense that Fields will be running.  Otherwise like now you have to have two separate offenses and game plans each week.

Michael Gallup is my guy for sure. Plus unless they part with Cooper he’s 3rd fiddle WR there and there’s very little chance they pay him what it would take to keep him. Godwin would be great too but probably more expensive as well. For a WR3 option I don’t hate Valdes-Scantling at the right price, and I’m a fan of Zach Pascal too. 

I’m a big fan of Jensen - a true Tone setter at C - but I’m pretty convinced TB prioritizes keeping him.

QB-wise I’d love to replace Foles as backup but being honest we have so many other needs and restrictive cap space that at least for 2022 I think the play is to just roll with him at QB2.

Most of what I see hitting the market at CB is a bunch of low level starters, which are absolutely an upgrade, but nothing worth breaking the bank over. Of what’s there I like Donte Jackson.

I think at TE we end up rolling with Jesse James (fine as TE2) and a pick or Horsted. If we go FA for a TE2 Mo Alie-Cox is a nice piece. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

22 hours ago, soulman said:

Bring back Mitch.  Bring back Mitch.  Bring back Mitch.   LOL

We don't want Andy "the misfiring rifle" Dalton back or Nick "the ****" Foles back.  We want another mobile QB who can run the very same offense that Fields will be running.  Otherwise like now you have to have two separate offenses and game plans each week.

They wouldn’t do a full separate game plan for the backup QB each week - they adjust in game if he has to play then do one around him the next week if he has to start. Foles isn’t ideal but he’s already bought and paid for, and at least for next season that’s probably gonna matter, especially if we have a new GM trying to clean things up. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They wouldn’t do a full separate game plan for the backup QB each week - they adjust in game if he has to play then do one around him the next week if he has to start. Foles isn’t ideal but he’s already bought and paid for, and at least for next season that’s probably gonna matter, especially if we have a new GM trying to clean things up. 

IMHO that doesn't eliminate the need for a more mobile QB on the roster or the PS.