2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

The thing with McDaniels is he will adjust to players no matter who they are...it's not a case of if you don't fit the scheme you are not talented...it's a case of let me change my scheme to fit your talent...Nagy never understood that as many other coach don't.

It's not changing schemes, if you understand concepts you can lego a scheme into whatever.   But you are right, few can properly utilize someone's talents within a scheme.  Not sure how much of that credit goes to McDaniels and how much to Belichick.   It has long been Belichicks strength to find a specific skill set of a player and utilize it to its max while minimizing the weaknesses.   

Nagy knows a base set of plays he learned under Reid and needs to shoe horn guys into those plays.  Why you see Mooney and Byrd as lead blockers sometimes.  He has no clue.   Just running his plays.   

Its difference between an Architect/Engineer and a Handy man.   There is a difference in depth of understanding.

This is why Pace fails he lacks the knowledge to know who has depth.   That depth of knowledge doesn't always = good coach or success.   For example. John Fox has depth of knowledge and was terrible for Bears.   Anyone can fail if they don't properly apply their knowledge in a given situation.  

But that trait is something I would always want in a HC and McDaniels has it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have no interest in bringing back Robinson. He phoned in this season. Literally quit.

None of us should be surprised about that, though--we saw what happened to him last season. If Pace had given him the new contract, things would have been different.

All that being said, I'm not sure I want him back, either. 

• Like 1

Didn’t realize the savings was this high. That seems like a no brainer for me. Tonga has looked capable and costs nothing for 3 years. The drop off from Goldman to Tonga is far less than the appreciation in value from the $3M/yr vs $12M/yr OL/CB/WR you can sign with the savings. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Didn’t realize the savings was this high. That seems like a no brainer for me. Tonga has looked capable and costs nothing for 3 years. The drop off from Goldman to Tonga is far less than the appreciation in value from the $3M/yr vs $12M/yr OL/CB/WR you can sign with the savings. 

Given the position he plays unless you are a dominant run stuffer you can't be kept at that sort of money...could probably get the same level of play out of a B.J Hill, Hassan Ridgeway or Tim Settle for far less...have to wonder if his heart is really in it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The drop off from Goldman to Tonga is far less than the appreciation in value from the $3M/yr vs $12M/yr OL/CB/WR you can sign with the savings. 

There's a drop-off from Tonga to Goldman, not the other way around...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There's a drop-off from Tonga to Goldman, not the other way around...

Exactly - at worst they’ve been very similar this year. All the more reason to start the guy making $900k for the next 3 years and roll the other into an above average starter at a more important position. 

• Like 2

So, let's see. Just doing some quick math in my head...if they do the cuts we're thinking of, let Robinson walk, and don't re-sign Hicks (which only happens if he comes cheap and the Bears stick with the 3-4)...that's around $55 mil in cap space, right? Then they'll want to bring back some of the FA from the 2021 roster--Grant, Scales, etc. 

That leaves a fair amount of cap space, but not much wiggle room. And we also have to wonder if there'll be a new GM, and what his take on things will be. Spread the money around to outside FAs, or go big with a couple key needs, and start a youth movement at the other positions? 

The CB FA group is pretty underwhelming, by and large, and a lot of the better options are older guys. WR is iffy now that Gallup and Godwin are pretty much out of the question. Sportrac has Chark down as a FA, and I'm not sure that's right, but I imagine he stays in Jacksonville either way. So, Kirk then becomes the golden boy...but that's also to every other team that wants a receiver. Could mean he ends up getting overpaid. 

Yikes. Anyway...C is probably the best represented position, talent-wise, but a lot of those dudes are older. 

Wow, this all is even worse than I thought--and I already thought it was pretty bad. Okay, first off:

-Re-sign Daniels (as long as that doesn't break the bank)

-Give Roquan an extension (no matter what)

That may cost us Ifedi, I dunno, but those two take priority IMHO. 

Keeping in mind that the draft is deep at WR, I think I'd target C in FA...even if the guy wouldn't be around for much longer. I'd love it if we could get Kirk too...but a decent (low cost) WR, plus a decent (low cost) CB and a pretty good C may be the best, and most realistic, approach to 2022 FA. Draft a WR or CB with that second round pick (or first if we trade up). 

Also, the Bears should be looking to teams with lots of cap space and discussing an Eddie Jackson trade with them. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

So, let's see. Just doing some quick math in my head...if they do the cuts we're thinking of, let Robinson walk, and don't re-sign Hicks (which only happens if he comes cheap and the Bears stick with the 3-4)...that's around $55 mil in cap space, right? Then they'll want to bring back some of the FA from the 2021 roster--Grant, Scales, etc. 

That leaves a fair amount of cap space, but not much wiggle room. And we also have to wonder if there'll be a new GM, and what his take on things will be. Spread the money around to outside FAs, or go big with a couple key needs, and start a youth movement at the other positions? 

The CB FA group is pretty underwhelming, by and large, and a lot of the better options are older guys. WR is iffy now that Gallup and Godwin are pretty much out of the question. Sportrac has Chark down as a FA, and I'm not sure that's right, but I imagine he stays in Jacksonville either way. So, Kirk then becomes the golden boy...but that's also to every other team that wants a receiver. Could mean he ends up getting overpaid. 

Yikes. Anyway...C is probably the best represented position, talent-wise, but a lot of those dudes are older. 

Wow, this all is even worse than I thought--and I already thought it was pretty bad. Okay, first off:

-Re-sign Daniels (as long as that doesn't break the bank)

-Give Roquan an extension (no matter what)

That may cost us Ifedi, I dunno, but those two take priority IMHO. 

Keeping in mind that the draft is deep at WR, I think I'd target C in FA...even if the guy wouldn't be around for much longer. I'd love it if we could get Kirk too...but a decent (low cost) WR, plus a decent (low cost) CB and a pretty good C may be the best, and most realistic, approach to 2022 FA. Draft a WR or CB with that second round pick (or first if we trade up). 

Also, the Bears should be looking to teams with lots of cap space and discussing an Eddie Jackson trade with them. 

Extending Roquan actually probably reduces his 2022 cap number ($9.7M) quite a bit. Look at Myles Jack’s contract. He’s the 5th highest paid ILB, having signed a 14.25M per extension. Roquan is probably in line for something resembling that. His year 1 cap hit is $5.3M less than Roquan’s current cap hit.

I’m putting together a preliminary mock offseason I’ll probably post tonight or tomorrow. It has us getting to about $55M in cap space with post-6/1 cuts for Goldman and DT, before the Roquan extension. Using player comp contracts I was shocked how much I was able to add for us in FA. Considering we have no #1 pick and only 5 picks overall we’re gonna have to do a lot in FA.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Extending Roquan actually probably reduces his 2022 cap number ($9.7M) quite a bit. Look at Myles Jack’s contract. He’s the 5th highest paid ILB, having signed a 14.25M per extension. Roquan is probably in line for something resembling that. His year 1 cap hit is $5.3M less than Roquan’s current cap hit.

Ro will reset the market.

I’m putting together a preliminary mock offseason I’ll probably post tonight or tomorrow. It has us getting to about $55M in cap space with post-6/1 cuts for Goldman and DT, before the Roquan extension. Using player comp contracts I was shocked how much I was able to add for us in FA. Considering we have no #1 pick and only 5 picks overall we’re gonna have to do a lot in FA.

Looking forward to it!

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have no interest in bringing back Robinson. He phoned in this season. Literally quit.

Give me a Kirk or Cedrick Wilson and a 2nd round pick.

I like Cedrick Wilson when he was coming out of Boise State.  He definitely won't fit in Dallas' plans and his asking price will be very reasonable.  Also like the guy coming out of the University of Cincinnati Alec Pierce.  He'll be available possibly even in the third round.

8 hours ago, GBHalas said:

I like Cedrick Wilson when he was coming out of Boise State.  He definitely won't fit in Dallas' plans and his asking price will be very reasonable.  Also like the guy coming out of the University of Cincinnati Alec Pierce.  He'll be available possibly even in the third round.

Pierce would be an excellent pick up especially if we go with a coach like Leftwich who will put a premium on a deep threat. 

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Pierce would be an excellent pick up especially if we go with a coach like Leftwich who will put a premium on a deep threat. 

I was lukewarm on Pierce before the bowls, and his complete no-show against Bama has me even more down on him. He was playing with a supposed NFL-caliber QB in Ridder and in a weak conference but statistically he’s just meh. If we spent a 3 on him I’d be pretty disappointed. I think there are probably 15 better WR prospects than him in this draft IMO.

9 hours ago, GBHalas said:

I like Cedrick Wilson when he was coming out of Boise State.  He definitely won't fit in Dallas' plans and his asking price will be very reasonable.

I like Wilson too but I don’t know that he “definitely won’t fit” in Dallas’ plans. They’re presumably about to lose Gallup, and like you said his cost might be reasonable. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was lukewarm on Pierce before the bowls, and his complete no-show against Bama has me even more down on him. He was playing with a supposed NFL-caliber QB in Ridder and in a weak conference but statistically he’s just meh. If we spent a 3 on him I’d be pretty disappointed. I think there are probably 15 better WR prospects than him in this draft IMO.

I think a lot of Pierce's lack of overall catches and yards come down to design...he was used a lot as a guy who stretched the field and allowed others to work underneath...the key thing though is his career 17.6 yards per catch...being 6'3" with length and being able to make plays that far down the field is a thing we just don't have on this team and for some schemes is essential.