2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

There’s been a lot of connection made since Poles was brought on to Charvarious Ward, and I like Ward for us, but nickel corner Mike Hughes is also a UFA from KC who looked pretty solid this year. Former 1st rounder of MIN who’s just entering his age 25 season. He seems like someone you could bring in on a shorter term deal at reasonable money who has a decent chance to outplay that contract.

Hell, bring both in and just knock that need right out of the picture. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You mentioned DJ Chark as a tier 1 guy earlier today but I think he’s going to fall more in the tier 2 window due to the injury. Russell Gage is a tier 2 guy for me too coming off 72 and 66 (14 games) seasons. I think that he'd be a great complementary piece to add and pair with Mooney and a high upside draft pick. I like Zay Jones in a WR3/4 type role like what he was in in LV last year. Zach Pascal intrigues me too. 

I think Chark was injured early enough in the season to be back by camp and someone will pay big for his size/speed combo...production in a bad situation is also a huge indicator of how good he could be so I think someone pays him big...Pascal is a guy I like too.

Having a look this morning through some of the teams scheduled to be over the cap next year…most of them can get out it pretty easily but the Saints, Packers, Falcons & Giants are so poorly built and might have to cut some fairly decent players because worse players are on terrible contracts that carry a ton of dead money even with post June 1st cuts…

Really interesting for the Cowboys and Amari Cooper…if they cut him with the post June 1st designation it only costs them $2 million towards the dead cap and saves them $20 million against the cap…that would be enough to probably resign Schultz, Wilson & Gallup…if Cooper hit the open market we should 100% go after him for as much as Poles wants to hold off Cooper is a star.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Really interesting for the Cowboys and Amari Cooper…if they cut him with the post June 1st designation it only costs them $2 million towards the dead cap and saves them $20 million against the cap…that would be enough to probably resign Schultz, Wilson & Gallup…if Cooper hit the open market we should 100% go after him for as much as Poles wants to hold off Cooper is a star.

Fields to Cooper? Wow. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You mentioned DJ Chark as a tier 1 guy earlier today but I think he’s going to fall more in the tier 2 window due to the injury. Russell Gage is a tier 2 guy for me too coming off 72 and 66 (14 games) seasons. I think that he'd be a great complementary piece to add and pair with Mooney and a high upside draft pick. I like Zay Jones in a WR3/4 type role like what he was in in LV last year. Zach Pascal intrigues me too. 

I would agree that Chark is a good value target with upside. It’s been a couple seasons since he was a real contributor (more so because Jacksonville is a dumpster fire than any other reason). He would be a very low risk, high reward signing assuming the price doesn’t get too crazy. Dude could fly before the injury.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

There’s been a lot of connection made since Poles was brought on to Charvarious Ward, and I like Ward for us, but nickel corner Mike Hughes is also a UFA from KC who looked pretty solid this year. Former 1st rounder of MIN who’s just entering his age 25 season. He seems like someone you could bring in on a shorter term deal at reasonable money who has a decent chance to outplay that contract.

Can KC not afford Ward next season? 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Can KC not afford Ward next season? 

They can make it happen if they want to do so. OTC shows them about middle of the pack cap-wise ($14M in space), and they can create a bunch with the Mahomes deal if they’d like. My thought was more of that if he’s out there he’d make a lot of sense for us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Chark was injured early enough in the season to be back by camp and someone will pay big for his size/speed combo...production in a bad situation is also a huge indicator of how good he could be so I think someone pays him big...Pascal is a guy I like too.

I think on a longer deal Chark is gonna get good not great money. I keep coming back to Curtis Samuel and Corey Davis as contract comps. He’s a good player, but is he ever gonna be a number 1? I don’t think that’s likely. That, plus a really strong WR draft class both at the top and depth wise I think work against him getting a giant deal. He’s only entering his age 26 season - I could definitely see him taking a 1-year prove it deal in a favorable spot with the idea of crushing a healthy 2022 then getting a monster deal next offseason. To that end, we can probably offer him 140 targets as a WR1/2 in a vertical passing attack, and I’m not sure a bunch of similar openings are out there for him. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I think on a longer deal Chark is gonna get good not great money. I keep coming back to Curtis Samuel and Corey Davis as contract comps. He’s a good player, but is he ever gonna be a number 1? I don’t think that’s likely. That, plus a really strong WR draft class both at the top and depth wise I think work against him getting a giant deal. He’s only entering his age 26 season - I could definitely see him taking a 1-year prove it deal in a favorable spot with the idea of crushing a healthy 2022 then getting a monster deal next offseason. To that end, we can probably offer him 140 targets as a WR1/2 in a vertical passing attack, and I’m not sure a bunch of similar openings are out there for him. 

That is where I am at as well...but as you know someone will always over pay for that type of player...we need to move to being one of the smarter teams who don't.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

The wow would be getting a receiver picked 3 slots ahead of bears phenom Kevin White, and all it took was a lot of money. 

I remember the draft debates about those two, and which would be the better player...  Only other draft comparison like that I can remember with that big of a gap in results was Rashede Hageman vs Aaron Donald.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:13 AM, Madmike90 said:

Christian Kirk…WR…5-11" 200lbs…25…Cardinals

Byron Pringle…WR…6-1" 203lbs…28…Chiefs

Marcus Johnson…WR…6-1" 198lbs…27…Titans

Andrew Wylie…OT…6-6" 310lbs…27…Chiefs

Trai Turner…OG…6-3" 315lbs…28…Steelers

Quinton Jefferson…UT…6-4" 295lbs…28…Raiders

Al-Quadin Muhammad…DE…6-4" 255lbs…26…Colts

Zaire Franklin…WLB…6-0" 235lbs…26…Colts

Anthony Walker Jr…MLB…6-0" 238lbs…26…Browns

D.J Reed Jr…NB…5-9" 188lbs…25…Seahawks

M.J Stewart…S…6-0" 205lbs…26…Browns

https://theathletic.com/3098631/2022/02/07/nfl-free-agency-rankings-for-2022-davante-adams-j-c-jackson-and-orlando-brown-headline-our-top-75-players?source=user-shared-article

The above are the guys I currently have mocked to us...only Kirk & Reed appear in the Athletics' top 75 free agents of 2022 and neither in the top 30...this is exactly what I hope Poles targets...under the radar scheme specific players...

On a side note James Daniels is #69 which should hopefully give us a better shot of retaining him...in a zone scheme he would be at his best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ty21 said:

The wow would be getting a receiver picked 3 slots ahead of bears phenom Kevin White, and all it took was a lot of money. 

Pace isn't only one that screwed up that draft for WRs.

The other good ones that year (aside from Kevin White) were Lockett went in 3rd, Diggs went in 5th, Waller in 6th and Adam Humphries was an UDFA

Parker, Agholor, Perriman, and Dorsett all went in first.

In 2nd it was Devin Smith, Green-Beckham and Funchess.

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pace isn't only one that screwed up that draft for WRs.

The other good ones that year (aside from Kevin White) were Lockett went in 3rd, Diggs went in 5th, Waller in 6th and Adam Humphries was an UDFA

Parker, Agholor, Perriman, and Dorsett all went in first.

In 2nd it was Devin Smith, Green-Beckham and Funchess.

Tyler Lockett was actually my top want in that draft as far as receiver went. Thought he had the best route running I’d seen since Ochocinco. When we took White I just wanted to be wrong about him. I wasn’t too high on Cooper either but preferred him to white. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

https://theathletic.com/3098631/2022/02/07/nfl-free-agency-rankings-for-2022-davante-adams-j-c-jackson-and-orlando-brown-headline-our-top-75-players?source=user-shared-article

The above are the guys I currently have mocked to us...only Kirk & Reed appear in the Athletics' top 75 free agents of 2022 and neither in the top 30...this is exactly what I hope Poles targets...under the radar scheme specific players...

On a side note James Daniels is #69 which should hopefully give us a better shot of retaining him...in a zone scheme he would be at his best.

They have Orlando Brown as no. 2 FA.

Who was advocating for Orlando Brown in the draft and has a penis?

This guy.

Before the combine I said Bears should consider him in first, after combine when everyone hated him due to poor work outs  I thought Bears should target him somewhere as value.

He ended up going in third if I remember.   Yeah, 3rd to Ravens.  Ravens also got Mark Andrews in 3rd that year.   That is a heck of a third round.

• Like 1