2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I love Monty but this does make it difficult to pay any RB out there...I hope we factor this into the financial commitments we make this off-season.

I don't see how, or why. Few of those teams were really great rushing teams--and leading rusher in the Super Bowl doesn't even necessarily correspond to best running back on the team, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't see how, or why. Few of those teams were really great rushing teams--and leading rusher in the Super Bowl doesn't even necessarily correspond to best running back on the team, anyway. 

The point is pretty clear...paying RBs doesn't lead to Superbowl wins...it's a QB and weapon driven league...balance is good but if you can have a quality RB or a quality WR for similar money there is only one answer in today's NFL...

It's a shame because I love a quality rushing attack but the rules make it what it is.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

The point is pretty clear...paying RBs doesn't lead to Superbowl wins...it's a QB and weapon driven league...balance is good but if you can have a quality RB or a quality WR for similar money there is only one answer in today's NFL...

It's a shame because I love a quality rushing attack but the rules make it what it is.

I get the point, I'm simply saying there's a number of different ways to win, and while it's clear the league doesn't value running backs much anymore (and there's more compelling evidence out there that supports that claim), that doesn't preclude you from winning with a higher paid guy. I don't think anyone is going to bat an eyebrow if Ezekial Elliot wins a Super Bowl. Or Mixon on a second contract, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I get the point, I'm simply saying there's a number of different ways to win, and while it's clear the league doesn't value running backs much anymore (and there's more compelling evidence out there that supports that claim), that doesn't preclude you from winning with a higher paid guy. I don't think anyone is going to bat an eyebrow if Ezekial Elliot wins a Super Bowl. Or Mixon on a second contract, etc. 

Of course there is a number of ways to win...but the easiest way to win with how the rules are is to be able to get explosive plays through the air...I don't see any argument against that at this point.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Of course there is a number of ways to win...but the easiest way to win with how the rules are is to be able to get explosive plays through the air...I don't see any argument against that at this point.

I think that if you put up a chart detailing the percentage of the salary cap spent on defense vs. percent spent on offense--and how that corresponds to Super Bowl winners...it would be a set of far more nerve-wracking stats, for Bears fans.

Right now, THAT is the biggest problem this team faces. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I think that if you put up a chart detailing the percentage of the salary cap spent on defense vs. percent spent on offense--and how that corresponds to Super Bowl winners...it would be a set of far more nerve-wracking stats, for Bears fans.

Right now, THAT is the biggest problem this team faces. 

I think both are issues...one is easier to fix than the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

If Herbert continues to grow I think the Bears already have a replacement for Montgomery.

Could be. He looked good last year when he started. If that’s the case then we’ll need the next Herbert too. I’d personally prefer we get that guy in the building now to get them through that rookie year jump needed on NFL protection schemes as well as to add present day depth.

My ASU bias is coming out, but Rashaad White looks to be a later round guy who has a lot of the tools we’d want. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, Madmike90 said:

...he just doesn't fit this HITS principle at all.

Not saying this wont apply too Goldman, but dont lean too hard on the HITS thing. Its a guide, it is a philosophy, and they are going to push guys to it. But its not the end all be all. You dont pass/give up on talent because they arent boy scouts. Sure it takes JeMarcus Russell off the board, but doesnt mean you wont ever have some guys you have to challenge/convince to buy in.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:13 AM, Madmike90 said:

The more I look at who should take those two post June 1st cuts the more I think the only real options are Eddie Goldman & Danny Trevathan which would see Cody Whitehair survive and move to Centre with James Daniels probably then not returning...

Just one thing I want to point out. I believe we only have two Post June 1 Designations, it doesnt mean you cant take advantage of of the post June 1st benefits, actually after June 1st. And thats where the situation with Goldman gets interesting. He doesnt have anything extra owed to him if you would cut him March 10th or August 10th (other than a $100k workout bonus that isnt guaranteed). You could leave him on the team, let the staff get a feel for where he is, and if he isnt going to cut it, then trade him or just straight cut him. That saved money could then pay for you draft class, plus anyone else who gets cut that you want to bring in. And if he does fit what you want, then you restructure someone else to make the Draft Class dollars.

The other big dollar option for a Post June 1st Designation, Whitehair, actually have $3m of his base salary guarantee some time in March. So you wouldnt get the same benefit of waiting. Now if you think hes still useful (over $12m Cap Hit useful) then we are having a different conversation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not saying this wont apply too Goldman, but dont lean too hard on the HITS thing. Its a guide, it is a philosophy, and they are going to push guys to it. But its not the end all be all.

I don't think you could be more wrong on this one...Flus lives and breathes that philosophy...no one will be treated differently...listen to a guy like Darius Leonard talk about it...HITS will be at the base of everything we do.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think you could be more wrong on this one...Flus lives and breathes that philosophy...no one will be treated differently...listen to a guy like Darius Leonard talk about it...HITS will be at the base of everything we do.

Please tell me more about the guy who Ive been following since he was a college coach