2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

There's likely zero chance of this being a possibility..... but I'd trade both Monty and Herbert in an instant to NYG for Barkley....

He's still arguably the single best RB coming out of college in in the past two decades, NY just did him dirty with a garbage offensive line...

Sadly, our line has been pretty bad as well, and I doubt his health would fair better here.  Even so, I would not be at all shocked to see him get moved to a solid team and absolutely dominate w/ a decent line/change of scenery

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

He's still arguably the single best RB coming out of college in in the past two decades, NY just did him dirty with a garbage offensive line...

I wouldn’t say they did him dirty. He was one of the most dominant backs in the league before his ACL in 2020.

They invested A TON in that OL too - it’s not like they took the Pace approach. Their OL this year as designed had a high priced FA OT (Solder), a 1st round pick OT (Thomas, 4th overall), a 2nd and 3rd round pick at OG (Hernandez and Peart) and a former 1st rounder at C (Price). Hard to invest more than that. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wouldn’t say they did him dirty. He was one of the most dominant backs in the league before his ACL in 2020.

They invested A TON in that OL too - it’s not like they took the Pace approach. Their OL this year as designed had a high priced FA OT (Solder), a 1st round pick OT (Thomas, 4th overall), a 2nd and 3rd round pick at OG (Hernandez and Peart) and a former 1st rounder at C (Price). Hard to invest more than that. 

They chose relatively poorly.  And they forgot that even with arguably most talented RB in league you still need a strong Oline for a strong running game.  They tried to fix it, but Barkley has since been hurt often decreasing his effectiveness.

Like some of us have said, College OTs are generally better football players because of how lower level coaches chose to allocate positions amongst their talent.  Investing high picks in interior players decreases odds of getting a good player.  

They over valued Solder because Patriots have superior coaching and Brady can make Oline look better than they are.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They chose relatively poorly.  And they forgot that even with arguably most talented RB in league you still need a strong Oline for a strong running game.  They tried to fix it, but Barkley has since been hurt often decreasing his effectiveness.

Like some of us have said, College OTs are generally better football players because of how lower level coaches chose to allocate positions amongst their talent.  Investing high picks in interior players decreases odds of getting a good player.  

They over valued Solder because Patriots have superior coaching and Brady can make Oline look better than they are.  

Agree on all points but the bolded is even being undersold there. Scar is the best OL in history and Brady is the GOAT in a scheme that was a quick passing scheme.

I was huge on Solder predraft too but he literally couldn't have been in a better position and still was only 'good.'  Didn't speak much for his ceiling elsewhere. 

Saw an article that was saying the Bears should trade for Atlanta UT Grady Jarrett...it's a horrible idea considering his projected cap number is $28.8 million this season...but it got me looking into the breakdown of that and the Falcons who are in a massive cap hell right now would take a $7.3 million dead cap his but a $16.5 million saving...turning 29 this year and coming off a 1 sack season surely they cut him?...

Now good news is if they do he only had 1 sack last year but 38 QB pressures for that UT spot...with proper pass rusher like Mack & Quinn on the outside his 1on1 opportunities go up...

On a 2 year Jarran Reed type $5.5 million a year deal he would be a great place holder until we can draft an UT to play inside in this scheme long term given how important it is to this defence.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Saw an article that was saying the Bears should trade for Atlanta UT Grady Jarrett...it's a horrible idea considering his projected cap number is $28.8 million this season...but it got me looking into the breakdown of that and the Falcons who are in a massive cap hell right now would take a $7.3 million dead cap his but a $16.5 million saving...turning 29 this year and coming off a 1 sack season surely they cut him?...

Now good news is if they do he only had 1 sack last year but 38 QB pressures for that UT spot...with proper pass rusher like Mack & Quinn on the outside his 1on1 opportunities go up...

On a 2 year Jarran Reed type $5.5 million a year deal he would be a great place holder until we can draft an UT to play inside in this scheme long term given how important it is to this defence.

Bears would only pay the 16.5M if they acquired him. And since it's the last year of his deal, they'd likely extend him to lower that cap hit.

The bigger question is what are the Bears giving in this scenario? Bears can't send away more picks, but I could envision a rare player-for-player trade here. Maybe a veteran like Eddie Jackson who has upside but has struggled lately.

Seems people are getting carried away trying to find this dominating UT for this defense. The changes arent all happening instantly. Eberflus' style defense rarely (if ever?) had 2 dominant-capable outside rushers.

So assuming they dont move Mack/Quinn they will play off of the built in strengths this defense already has. That way it gives them 2 or 3 offseasons to not only find the right piece, but also build up the assets to acquire that guy. All while building up the rest of the defense. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Seems people are getting carried away trying to find this dominating UT for this defense. The changes arent all happening instantly. Eberflus' style defense rarely (if ever?) had 2 dominant-capable outside rushers.

So assuming they dont move Mack/Quinn they will play off of the built in strengths this defense already has. That way it gives them 2 or 3 offseasons to not only find the right piece, but also build up the assets to acquire that guy. All while building up the rest of the defense. 

All the more reason IMO it makes sense to bring Bilal Nichols back if you can at reasonable money. He profiles pretty well to the 3T role, and many of his draft profiles suggested he was a best fit inside in a 4-3 defense anyway.

Also intriguing to me in that role, and currently under contract for 2022 and 2023 at pretty reasonable numbers, is Mario Edwards. He’s listed at 6’3” 280 lb but I suspect could pretty easily get to 290 or so which is adequate at 3T (he was listed at 6’3” 294 lb while playing inside at Florida State). He’s not a fit at DE in this scheme, but he’s a solid run defender and he’s got some quickness to him, and his bull rush on passing downs has been effective and would be a nice complement to Mack or Quinn off the edge. He’s also just 28 so if he ends up a really good fit he’s a potential longer term option as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears would only pay the 16.5M if they acquired him. And since it's the last year of his deal, they'd likely extend him to lower that cap hit.

The bigger question is what are the Bears giving in this scenario? Bears can't send away more picks, but I could envision a rare player-for-player trade here. Maybe a veteran like Eddie Jackson who has upside but has struggled lately.

Again I don't see why we would give up anything...sit back and wait on ATL releasing him.

49 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I see no reason not to at least try and find all the pieces this year...sure it won't happen...but we should always be trying...if a good player at a key position is available then go get him...only thing better than 2 quality pass rusher is 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Right. While it would be awesome to have a Tommie Harris clone in there if we have one run stuffer and the 3T is just a good threat to be a passrusher then we will be in good shape. 3-4 or 4-3 I think the DTs here need to be able to keep our LBs clean. Smith does his best when he gets to be explosive and attack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I see no reason not to at least try and find all the pieces this year...sure it won't happen...but we should always be trying...if a good player at a key position is available then go get him...only thing better than 2 quality pass rusher is 3.

Yea, thats always the goal. But its also not realistic. Im not saying ignore the position, but trading for someone who is a solution/difference maker (ala the Colts Buckner trade) is the cherry on top, not the first move.

If theres a real talent that slips to us in the Draft, then absolutely, but dropping a bag, or sacrificing future Draft picks is not the move while you are trying to reset the roster 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If theres a real talent that slips to us in the Draft, then absolutely, but dropping a bag, or sacrificing future Draft picks is not the move while you are trying to reset the roster 

Wasn't Henry Melton a 4th rounder? They're definitely out there, just gotta hope Poles&Flus can evaluate talent.

18 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, thats always the goal. But its also not realistic. Im not saying ignore the position, but trading for someone who is a solution/difference maker (ala the Colts Buckner trade) is the cherry on top, not the first move.

That's why I wouldn't trade for anyone...I would however sign a player like Jarrett or Quinton Jefferson...would also be happy to bring back Nichols who should be a fit

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

That's why I wouldn't trade for anyone...I would however sign a player like Jarrett or Quinton Jefferson...would also be happy to bring back Nichols who should be a fit

Which is completely fine if that how you want to build the roster for 22/23. You will just have very little depth if you add paying a DT on top of both Quinn/Mack, as well as Smith and his upcoming extension. (not to mention if Jackson is still on the roster)., It obviously can work, the Rams just did it. But you are walking a razors edge there.

I personally would spread it out on shorter supporting starters and depth contracts, to keep the defense upper half, while you build it to the true form of Flus' vison of the Defense. And then when we are clear of the Mack/Quinn contracts (either by trade or expiration) then we can add the final big pieces. 

There are plenty of way to cook this egg, which is what will make this rebuilding on the fly pretty fun.