2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

I genuinely like 75% of what Poles has done this offseason.

-The Mack trade was a great move.

-After the Larry O silliness I think his defensive signings have been solid and at the right price point.

-I like Patrick as a guy who knows the system.

-The WR market was dumb, and I like the fact we got Pringle for a decent number.

Things I don’t like

-The desperation of the Larry O signing to me didn’t make sense because of the player and the timing in this rebuild or reset.

-I would like that desperation to have been pointed at the OL and if not desperation, more urgency. I think OL was probably in the tier 1 guys we missed on.

-I would like a veteran WR signed. Someone with some experience we can break glass in case of emergency a play.

-I like that he is not going crazy using next years cap space. I think he is even being a little too conservative, but he has tried to spend more.

Edited by WindyCity

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s not a cross check if you yourself aren’t watching the games. You’re  choosing to accept their opinion as fact. You either believe in PFF’s stuff or you don’t. Choosing to believe their “research” only when it fits your narrative severely undermines your own credibility. If you think they’re ******* crazy for the 46.3 rating they gave Roquan in 2021 (going out on a small limb here and assuming that you do) in games I’m sure you actually did watch in which he’s obviously a stud then how can you put ANY credibility on what they say about Ogunjobi in games you didn’t watch?

To summarize, to make sure I’m understanding correctly, you’re taking the position here that a 27-year old DT who had 7.5 sacks last year and was #2 in the league in TFL from the DT position was not only overpaid, but grossly overpaid, for having landed a FA contract as the TENTH highest paid player at his position, principally on the basis of the word of a team of non-credentialed and anonymous film jockeys who have been proven time and time again to be completely off base in their evaluations? 

I think he was overpaid. Not grossly he is obviously a productive player, but I don’t think he is a guy you make that type of move for.

I think Ogunjobi is a 9-10 million dollar player. He isn’t someone I would guarantee 26.5 million to 2 months after foot surgery.

I can’t watch 17 games of everyone. I watched a couple games and thought to myself Larry gets blocked in the run game a lot more than I was expecting in between his splash plays. I went and and checked their grade and they agreed. Maybe I am right in my opinion, or at least I am not way off.

Conversely after watching last season I thought James Daniels wasn’t great in pass pro, I went and cross checked, and they didn’t agree that he was as bad as I thought and I have to rethink my position. Maybe I was being to harsh because of my investment in the QB or to harsh compared to what is average in the league.

I have started using it to make sure I am not way off in my viewing of smaller sample sizes.

I don’t know what the rational is for the Roquan grade. I think they were pretty accurate with the rest of the Bears players.

Edited by WindyCity

Another player I am planning to rewatch, although I had hoped he would be replaced, is Sam Mustipher.

Watching the games back last year I thought he was a pylon. PFF graded him out as not good, but not a pylon, which could mean I was being too harsh.

Edited by WindyCity

I think 2 players who compare to Ogunjobi are David Onyemata and Shelby Harris, similar pass rusher production and both are better against the run.

They didn’t get the natural free agency over pay bump, and are 9-10 million dollar players.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think 2 players who compare to Ogunjobi are David Onyemata and Shelby Harris, similar pass rusher production and both are better against the run.

They didn’t get the natural free agency over pay bump, and are 9-10 million dollar players.

So, by extension, Ogunjobi got pretty much exactly what you’d expect a player of his caliber to get as a UFA instead of what he’d get on an extension? An overpay, but roughly the generally accepted overpay for a FA at the top of his respective market?

What criteria are you using to say Onyemata and Harris are better run defenders? Is this PFF again too? I’m guessing you haven’t watched any film at all to scout them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

So, by extension, Ogunjobi got pretty much exactly what you’d expect a player of his caliber to get as a UFA instead of what he’d get on an extension? An overpay, but roughly the generally accepted overpay for a FA at the top of his respective market?

What criteria are you using to say Onyemata and Harris are better run defenders? Is this PFF again too? I’m guessing you haven’t watched any film at all to scout them. 

I have watched a lot on Onyemata he went to my Alma Mater.  

Harris is based off his reputation. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s been his role in Indy the past 4 years. 351 ST snaps last year. On defense, he had… 1. Lol. 

He is hopefully LB 5-6, but we don’t have a lot of bodies right now and he knows the coaches and system.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

So...Tavon Young and Ryan Griffin were signed today.

That's pretty cool. Especially Young? 

The defensive depth chart isn’t great, but not ugly.

RE: Quinn, Muhammad

3T: Jones, Edwards

NT: Blackson, Tonga

LE: Gipson, Attouchu

W: Smith, Thomas

M: Morrow

S: _______, Adams

CB, Johnson, Graham, Vildor

NB: Young, Shelley

FS: Jackson

SS: DHC, Cruikshank

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

We likely need to add 2 LBs that can be expected to play defense, one to start at Sam and one to backup inside.

A backup FS.

Maybe a CB depending on whether they think they can fix Vildor.

Just remember--they needed all that before Pace was fired. 

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Just remember--they needed all that before Pace was fired. 

Not sure the point you are making.

Being down to 3-4 needs on defense is a decent position to be in. Hitchens would fill one of the LB spots and if we use him on early downs and let Morrow and Roquan play 3rd down that would match his skill set.

I think safety you can wait till day 3 of the draft with DHCs ability to play FS as well.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Because I watched a couple of games and then I trust the people who watched them all.

Yeah, uh huh.  Sound very familiar like something we've all heard about a thousand times before outta the galaxies biggest pathological liar.  But I believe he phrased it "Many people are saying".

Betcha we all know just who those "many people" are too and their voices must be barely above a whisper like most of those little voices in our own heads are.

I guess it should also be noted that a 3 tech DT role in this 4-3 is to penetrate the blocking scheme to disrupt it enough so that others often make the run stop.  Unless of course he's lucky enough to get to the ball carrier in the backfield before they do.  So run stops themselves aren't a key stat for a 3 tech in this 4-3.  Pro GMs evaluate things like that.

Not sure why I even bother with this any longer except maybe it may benefit someone else but never one whose too preoccupied to be bothered with simple things like facts because his mind is already made up.  Such a waste of time actually digging up honest balanced facts isn't it?  Especially when they don't confirm to a preexisting point of view. So what then?  Discard them.  Pretend they don't exist?  Move the goal posts to some other irrelevant point?

Edited by soulman