2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's a starter, from the Packers. 

My god.

What the **** do you want? 

I'm a fan of the move, but it can't be seen as anything other than what it is, an okay pick up. He was never supposed to be a starter for the pack, just ended up that way due to injuries.

I'm not overreacting, but if Fields is the greatest QB Chicago has ever seen, they should be all in on the OL. Pace/Nagy should've been all in on OL when they drafted him, they might still have jobs.

We can talk all we want about wave 2/3 for OL but it rarely works out except as depth. Unless Poles plans on going OL heavy with the first few picks (and relying on rookie OL is a risky move), wave 4/5/6/7 is not lush with starting talent.

They should spend on whoever is left and live with it, knowing that Fields will (hopefully) be upright with a clean jersey. Chicago cannot deny investments in the OL for another 15 years and then wonder why they got nowhere in the standings and poor QB production.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Some of this just isn't true at all...

Dickerson was way better than average...which would still be far better than we had last year.

Carmen didn't start a game till week 3 so wasn't benched...he came in because of injury and started 3 games before going back out the lineup when the starter returned...

Radnuz didn't lose his job either given he was inactive 3 out the first 4 games...

Cosmi, Jenkins, Eichenberg & Little all played OT...which is clearly a harder position to play than inside so are a moot point.

Radnuz and Carmen were both backups. They couldn’t beat out journeymen veterans.

Dickerson was an average starter as a rookie.

The OTs generally sucked.

We are doing the Bengals OL plan.

The Bengals signed mid tier veterans (Rieff and Sio Foala) then drafted a guy in the 2nd round (Carmen).

Then watched their QB get his teeth kicked in.

Maybe we can make the Super Bowl if we can just add 2 stud WRs, a regime in year 3, and if Fields is a super star QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Mustipher is really bad. It's not a small upgrade over him. Good lord. 

Yeah...the tackles had issues as rookies (won't go as far as "underwhelming")...so that means they're terrible players? How does that make sense to you?  Explain? 

They upgraded C and downgraded RG, please explain how the OL is noticeably better?

The people who complain about us not developing young OL or investing in the OL in the draft but who then, when we plan to do just that, don’t like the idea of relying upon those players we draft there, will always baffle me. Wanting to develop young players without being willing to play young players just doesn’t work. This isn’t a complicated concept. If you plan to play your young players you sign capable journeyman backups for if they fail. We’re a week into FA. The Dennis Kelly-level guys are still aplenty out there, and we’ll get another wave of them after the draft. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The people who complain about us not developing young OL or investing in the OL in the draft but who then, when we plan to do just that, don’t like the idea of relying upon those players we draft there, will always baffle me. Wanting to develop young players without being willing to play young players just doesn’t work. This isn’t a complicated concept. If you plan to play your young players you sign capable journeyman backups for if they fail. We’re a week into FA. The Dennis Kelly-level guys are still aplenty out there, and we’ll get another wave of them after the draft. 

That works better if you are not also trying to simultaneously develop a young franchise QB.

If Dalton was back there… play the kids and let Dalton take the growing pains.

I really want to draft and develop some guys. But until they are ready I am not super interested in journeymen backups blocking for Fields.

22 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Develop Jenkins and Borom and picks... But if the stalwart of this line is Cody effin' Whitehair, that means you've failed to acquire talent.

This is where I am at. You have to have some proven commodities to anchor the line. Our best OLmen is Lucas Patrick, who was essentially a backup in GB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

That works better if you are not also trying to simultaneously develop a young franchise QB.

If Dalton was back there… play the kids and let Dalton take the growing pains.

I really want to draft and develop some guys. But until they are ready I am not super interested in journeymen backups blocking for Fields.

Whether or not you’re super interested in it doesn’t really matter though, does it? They’re not going to bubble wrap Fields because WindyCity from FF thinks he knows better what Getsy & Co. are looking for to implement their offense than the GM that’s working directly with Getsy. If they thought they needed to overpay (because that’s what you have to do with a rebuilding team to get top FAs) to get different guys in here then they would have done just that, don’t you think? They know as well as anyone that Justin Fields’ success is the most important part of the future of this franchise. They’re not going to just throw some random bodies in Bears shirts out there and cross their fingers.

You’re clearly not willing to give the guy who is most directly responsible for building the Bears into a successful team through his vision any time to do just that before deciding that he’s doing it wrong. Why don’t you just say so?

• Like 3