Mock Drafts - We pick 7th

bucsfan333

16 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I get the small school argument with Davenport.  However, there arent many dlinemen who will be drafted that contribute greatly in their rookie years.  I understand PR pushing the Vea narrative, but just because he played against better competition, does this guarantee him becoming better with pad level and his get off is pretty slow.  I honestly dont know.  Davenport has a chance to have an impact both outside and in nickel packages rushing inside. Is it a potential stretch?  Sure.  

Im not against Vea, but he has to live up to all the athletic ability hype he is getting because his get off is a concern.  With Davenport, I see the athletic ability on the field, but lacking fundamental technique with hand placement.  In my mind, I guess I feel better about a prospect improving hand placement then quickness at the snap of the ball.  I could be wrong.

I don't quite get the infatuation with Vea. I wasn't impressed watching him in his bowl game. And Trevor actually kinda talked me out of him completely with his big film breakdown. He's slow. He's like the mirror opposite of McCoy. Which I guess is the type of DTs Smitty has liked in the past.

Both guys are projects. One fills a much bigger need, and has a bigger chance to make an impact in year one. And I think that's Davenport.

If we want a plug and play type of guy, we should hope for Nelson or Fitzpatrick. Or maybe even Josh Jackson, with as much done as we run zone. But I agree that we might reach for need. At least in the first. And Davenport fits that at seven.

36 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Unless Davenport bombs  Indy, he 'll probably firmly be the 2nd edge rusher off the board.  Top 2 pass rushers in each draft dont make it out of the top 10.  I get why PR is pushing Vea, I just dont see how Licht would pull the trigger for a NT.  I read somewhere Vea s stat line against the better teams like Stanford and Penn State wasn't very good.   Granted, stats for NTs isnt everything, but if Im Licht without a contract in a year do I take a project at NT or a project at edge rusher instead who will probably various positions in sub packages?

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Unless Davenport bombs  Indy, he 'll probably firmly be the 2nd edge rusher off the board.  Top 2 pass rushers in each draft dont make it out of the top 10.  I get why PR is pushing Vea, I just dont see how Licht would pull the trigger for a NT.  I read somewhere Vea s stat line against the better teams like Stanford and Penn State wasn't very good.   Granted, stats for NTs isnt everything, but if Im Licht without a contract in a year do I take a project at NT or a project at edge rusher instead who will probably various positions in sub packages?

Man I hope we're not even thinking of drafting Vea with the 7th pick. I love davenport but after reading and watching a bit more I'm starting to really want Quentin Nelson. Man he's a beast. Remember Noah Spence is coming back next year hopefully he can play a full season and if licht can pick up some ends in free agency and maybe another end in the 2nd or 3rd round I'd love Nelson at 7. I just think he'd make our oline so much better. Nelson> davenport> Fitzpatrick.. 

On a side note chubb and barkley are probably the players I want the most but unless we trade up or they do something stupid during offseason we won't get them. What if somehow one of them falls though?.. 0_0

I think the hype on Davenport is too high.  Remember EMANUAL ogbah in 2016? He was a much better athlete and had better production at Oklahoma state. He went in round 2 very early. Davenport in comparison you both Ansah and Ogbah,  falls short. I believe the hype is round 1. But he matched slip to early round 2.

5 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think the hype on Davenport is too high.  Remember EMANUAL ogbah in 2016? He was a much better athlete and had better production at Oklahoma state. He went in round 2 very early. Davenport in comparison you both Ansah and Ogbah,  falls short. I believe the hype is round 1. But he matched slip to early round 2.

One of the mocks I shared above had us taking Davenport with our second pick. So you're not alone in believing that.

2 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

One of the mocks I shared above had us taking Davenport with our second pick. So you're not alone in believing that.

Ogbah did have better production playing at a bigger school against better competition.  But the only reason davenport is being hyped so high is because of potential, what he can be. 6'6 250 chiseled. He's Raw and he is a project But if he can reach that "potential" he's going to be a beast. But you don't draft for potential.  That's when your risking taking a bust. I think that's why everyone is waiting to see how he does at the combine. If he performs well at the combine he's going somewhere in the first for sure. 

13 hours ago, Tyson Jr said:

Ogbah did have better production playing at a bigger school against better competition.  But the only reason davenport is being hyped so high is because of potential, what he can be. 6'6 250 chiseled. He's Raw and he is a project But if he can reach that "potential" he's going to be a beast. But you don't draft for potential.  That's when your risking taking a bust. I think that's why everyone is waiting to see how he does at the combine. If he performs well at the combine he's going somewhere in the first for sure. 

Wasn’t Ogbah the same though in terms of athleticism? 

Archived