Zach Cunningham released

ET80

Yeah the timing of it is what bothers me. If he's disillusioned,  being late, whatever, make him run laps or something. But we're paying him to play. Even if the play has been crap, make him go out there an do it. Dont reward disillusioned players who dont want to be here with release, where they can go to division rivals midseason

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tab said:

Dont reward disillusioned players who dont want to be here with release, where they can go to division rivals midseason

Right on cue...

3 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Well, he was claimed by the Titans. This will end well for us...

So I'm pretty sure Cunningham is going to tell the Titans EVERYTHING about the Texans defensive calls and assignments. 

The defense had been improving, but the Titans are going to absolutely evicerate this defense next game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

This $44mm figure is an illusion, because we only have roughly 27 guys signed beyond this season - so that $44mm is going to evaporate quickly as we find the next round of guys like Justin Britt, Terrance Mitchell, Chris Conley, etc.

(Texans will need to sign 20 players along with their six draft picks - so you're hoping to get 20 guys willing to play for $2.2mm next season, less than $1mm over vet minimum - this is assuming the team is not extending guys like KG Hill or Maliek Collins).

A hypothetical Deshaun Watson trade only clears out $24mm (pre 6/1 designation) so that's a wash against that dead cap. (Not even a wash, it's still puts the team at $11mm dead cap).

So, in a roundabout way... Texans just killed whatever negotiating strength they had in thie Watson situation. They need to trade Watson now, not just because he's unhappy - but because it's the only way to partially clear up cap space that'll be needed to simply field 53 men. (Let's hope no criminal charges come up, because if he is indicted and can't be traded... the cap is absolutely destroyed).

As much as you want to cut dead weight, you can't because you have to pick up SOMEONE to replace them, and it's not like we have a bulk of late round picks to fill in spots on the cheap - it's the opposite in fact, we don't have an excessive amount of late round picks because Caserio traded those picks away for a bunch of guys who didn't even play 10 games with the team.

So... we're back to renegotiating guys on longer deals to free up cap space (like we did with Cunningham, Mercilius) to sign mid level guys to one year deals over rookie minimums. THIS time, there's about 1/5 of the cap dedicated to guys who will never play a down for this team.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here - the math might be fuzzy a bit, but it's a fair estimation.

I don’t think any of this effects leverage in a Watson trade. Watson has all the leverage regardless. He has a no trade clause and he’s proven he will sit out a year. He’s going where he wants to go if anyone wants to take him. 

we have ways of clearing up a lot more cap by waiving some guys who are overpaid like Cannon, Murray and so on. 

Manx on the Cunningham front, guy was not any good after he got paid, and I don’t think his dead money was much more than what his cap hit was gonna be, so it’s not really costing us money, just freeing up a roster spot 

26 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think any of this effects leverage in a Watson trade. Watson has all the leverage regardless

It does, specifically next season - Watson on his own represented $35mm in "dead cap" while on roster because the team is now paying him a significant amount of money to do nothing. On it's own, it's roughly 16% of the projected $208.2mm salary cap in 2022. So, in that respect - you're right, Watson had significant leverage with that alone. Could the Texans go through 2022 with a 16% cap drain? Possible. Not fun, but it is what it is - the FO could draw it out, you could live with 16% of cap not contributing.

Now... in addition to that 16% figure, you've artificially created another 12% of dead cap. Right now, in this snapshot - over a quarter of your cap is not going to play for this team on the merit of these two situations. The only way to get back to a manageable situation is to move Watson, at any possible price.

we have ways of clearing up a lot more cap by waiving some guys who are overpaid like Cannon, Murray and so on. 

Which is pushing dead cap into 2023, 2024 - same as we did in 2022. Much like 2022, our dead cap in 2023 is already projected to be the worst in the league.

At this rate - cutting guys and taking on unnecessary dead cap, only to replace with mid level guys - he'll have a clean enough cap to operate with once Aiden Hutchinson/Kayvon Thibodeaux is due an extension, 3-4 seasons from now.

Poor planning like this means that Jon Greenard/Nico Collins/Roy Lopez are going to walk as FAs - the team won't have the cap to cover those new deals (let's hope nobody holds out for money, because Caserio has nothing to give).

Manx on the Cunningham front, guy was not any good after he got paid, and I don’t think his dead money was much more than what his cap hit was gonna be, so it’s not really costing us money, just freeing up a roster spot 

I'm not going to debate whether or not Cunningham was good post-contract, but even cutting him as a post 6/1 designation would have cut his dead cap in half. That's significant, but this is more than JUST Cunningham. It's the unnecessary manipulation of Whitney Mercilius ($7mm dead cap) and the unnecessary trade for Shaq Lawson ($6mm dead cap).

Had Caserio done nothing with these guys from the moment he walked in the building, it would have been much more of a solution - don't restructure Cunningham, don't restructure Mercilius, don't trade for Lawson, don't trade for Cannon, just cut em outright - the cap THIS season would be wrecked, but you'd have a clean slate in 2023 and a full compliment of picks, you could release Murray and take a small hit and begin your rebuild.

Caserio had a bad hand, I agree. His issue is that tried to compete despite having a bad hand, realized he failed at that by week 4, and now put himself even further back in an actual rebuilding situation. Maybe he works out of this particular hole, but a LOT of this isn't on BoB - it's on him.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Caserio had a bad hand, I agree. His issue is that tried to compete despite having a bad hand, realized he failed at that by week 4, and now put himself even further back in an actual rebuilding situation. Maybe he works out of this particular hole, but a LOT of this isn't on BoB - it's on him.

One more thing to add - while we're stripping down to the frame, Jacksonville is building around Trevor Lawrence, Tennessee is building towards life post-Derrick Henry and Indianapolis has a window that opens up to 10+ years with a QB.

We're rebuilding - our division isn't standing still, y'know. By the time we have a frame to build on, our division (specifically Indianapolis) could be out of reach. Jacksonville has $70mm in cap space (with 37 players under contract) 13 draft picks in 2022 (as opposed to six) and a franchise type QB on a rookie deal.

It's not a pretty picture on that front.

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Dead cap at 10 million is not as bad as paying a bad player 15 million. Dead cap sucks but if we didn’t have the dead cap we would be paying more for bad players taking reps from young guys. 

Who said he'd get reps? Benching him for the remainder of the season is an option; Telling him to not show up at all is an option (if any team knows about paying a guy for not showing up, it's the Texans). Let him sit the season out, wait for the start of the 2022 fiscal year (3/1/22) and post him as a 6/1 cut, then you're sitting on $3mm dead cap (which is better than both scenarios outlined above).

You could have told Cunningham to take a seat next to Watson for the rest of the season... and nobody would have batted an eye. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

caserio has made his fair share of missteps but cutting Cunningham was probably the right move

I don't necessarily disagree - in fact, I'm pretty certain it was a good move once I think about it. It's not WHAT Caserio did, it's WHEN he did it.

• Like 1