Why do people take winter so seriously?

NeptunePenguins

On 12/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, NeptunePenguins said:

I have a friend that lives in a climate that averages 29.8F/18.7F as an average high/low in January and he was mad at a guy from a climate that averages 62.5F/41.8F in January wished him happy winter. Then a guy suddenly interjected from a climate that averages 26.1F/10.4F during that same month, saying that he would feel better likely if he commented happy winter if he said it instead of the guy from the 62.5F/41.8F Jan climate as they know what winter is and the guy from the warm climate has no area in which they can handle four inches of snow. One guy even said "if anywhere in the state gets 10cm of snow then it shuts down" but there is a place in that state that has a city that averages 52.2F/24.9F in January with a yearly snowfall of 17.2 inches. Though this guy also claimed he laughed at weather reports of a city that averages 31.1F/15.2F for being wimps compared to his city, even though that city that average 31.1F/15.2F in January has seen highs of -12F and lows of -23F with wind chills colder than -40 during January 2019. He also called a population of a state ******* even though they have a city that averages 16.3F/-4.6F in January with low temperatures of -43F happening in 2019 with wind chills of -63F happening there as well, and the fact of the matter is Winnipeg's coldest wind chill in the past 5 years was also -63F, so does that mean they are wimps too?  

Also for comparison sake Green Bay, aka local tundra wannabe averages 25.5F/11.1F during January as a comparison, almost dead even with the 26/10 location even though Green Bay is actually in the United States. 

Also why don't people from warm climates do this stuff? I don't see people from Houston talking about how Atlanta doesn't have real summers or people from Phoenix talking down to Vegas as Vegas has a true dry heat with basically no humid days and no 120F days at all. Or do people from hot climates just enjoy the outdoors swimming and are too busy to be talking about who has the worst weather over the interwebs? 

Haha I know what you mean…

Coming from middle America where it’s brutal winters, it gives you something of a chip. It’s awful having 4 (or more) months of the year where you leave in dark and come home in dark, have to scrape snow off your drive, scrape your car window, wait for everything to warm up, always have wet socks. Then you look at other parts of the country and they’re complaining it’s a bit cold when it’s 60. 

some people go with the badge of honor thing. I just complain :) 

• Like 1

Growing up Northern, i'm not exactly vehemently "Anti-Winter" like some folks.  But really, it's pretty crappy.  I was happy this week...when the temperature went from something like -41 to hovering right around freezing.  It's just such a great opportunity to be able to get out and run around and explore and not accidentally freeze to death if you make an oops and get lost for a second or something.

It is funny though, seeing people out in full bore "winter jackets" when it's hovering around freezing though.  I'm out in a sweater, because i'm hardy and northern and ****.  But also, it's important to leave headroom for "more colder".