Why do people take winter so seriously?

NeptunePenguins

January can be cold and see some snow but February is always the coldest month of the year in SE Wisconsin. Most of our below zero days with wind chill in the double digit negative degree days happen then. We also see a lot of lake effect snow because Lake Michigan is east of us. 

I don’t get upset with people who think 50 degrees is cold. I’m usually wearing slacks and a T shirt with an occasional light sweater at that time. I laugh at the people who wear thick parkas when it’s 60 degrees though because I usually wear shorts at 60+ degrees. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:24 AM, Tk3 said:

This thread reminds me of a podcast I saw on fivethirtyeight where they polled people on when the seasons started.

I believe most said the definitional dates of 3/21, 6/21, 9/21, 12/21.. some said the 1st of certain months.. some chose arbitrary holidays

I agree with the stance that winter starts when you take out your warm jacket and don't put it back away until the spring. Spring starts when you finally put away the jacket. Summer starts when you expose more of your skin outside. And fall starts when you start covering up again. That means some people DO NOT even experience winter, and each season has different dates for different people.

All of that said, people in the northeast and midwest (myself included) have a weird flex about making sure people know that our winters were more difficult than theirs, and people in the west coast have a weird flex about making sure people know that they live somewhere without winter

It's an identity thing

Season Start Times (as observed locally)

Spring: First warm sunny day that most people recognize as “a nice day” (Usually mid March to April)

Summer: When the schools let out for summer. (2nd week of June usually)

Fall: First rainy week after the school year starts. (last week September, first week of October usually)

Winter: Day after thanksgiving (the day after thanksgiving)

Edited by Dome

56 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Gonna have to revoke your WI Resident card on that one.
Anything above 28 degrees is shorts weather for self-respecting Wisconsin dudes. 

da4637e1e776325ff9e074226539564d.jpg&f=1

Any wussy who goes out with a snow blower for an hour can probably get away with shorts. People who work outside 8 hours a day pushing cars out of snow piles and scraping lines on the pavement to get said cars parked don’t have that luxury 

• Like 1

I hate winter, always have. I unfortunately live in a cold climate. (currently 6 degrees, real feel of -1). Lived in NYC for 2 years and laughed at their snow amount totals and winter temps (until I walked several 'city blocks' in it); perspective.

I'm a brat, if it's gonna be cold and snowy where I live - other places better get it too. I was reeling in happiness when TX had their snow last winter. (until I found out people had lost heat and power - I do have a heart ha)

My superpower has always been controlling the weather. I think I would actually semi like the holidays, if it were sunny and warm(er)...   Okay, I'll move, I could write a novel with all my complaints. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Any wussy who goes out with a snow blower for an hour can probably get away with shorts. People who work outside 8 hours a day pushing cars out of snow piles and scraping lines on the pavement to get said cars parked don’t have that luxury 

Why do people take winter so seriously ?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 6:37 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

yep, Jorts are ok in that situation

On 12/28/2021 at 10:33 PM, K9 said:

I hate winter, always have. I unfortunately live in a cold climate. (currently 6 degrees, real feel of -1). Lived in NYC for 2 years and laughed at their snow amount totals and winter temps (until I walked several 'city blocks' in it); perspective.

I'm a brat, if it's gonna be cold and snowy where I live - other places better get it too. I was reeling in happiness when TX had their snow last winter. (until I found out people had lost heat and power - I do have a heart ha)

My superpower has always been controlling the weather. I think I would actually semi like the holidays, if it were sunny and warm(er)...   Okay, I'll move, I could write a novel with all my complaints. 

Ah Texas... we went from that craziness in February to about 80 degrees on Christmas Day.

Edited by JohnChimpo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Ah Texas... we went from that craziness in February to about 80 degrees on Christmas Day.

Jealous!!! We're going from 20's to a high of -4 ... different kind of 'craziness'  HA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Lived in upstate NY for 26 years. Hated all 26 winters. Moved to Texas right after the storm hit and it's the best decision I ever made. I went swimming on Christmas Day with the wife and little guy. It was surreal.

But what about the humidity in the summer - too hot? not bad? I'm curious because there's a part of me that really thinks I need to move to a warmer climate. It's just the hot and humid temps that kill me

2 hours ago, K9 said:

But what about the humidity in the summer - too hot? not bad? I'm curious because there's a part of me that really thinks I need to move to a warmer climate. It's just the hot and humid temps that kill me

Honestly it's way more humid in NY than central Texas. It's only humid on the coast by Houston.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

23 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Honestly it's way more humid in NY than central Texas. It's only humid on the coast by Houston.

HA! thought it was the whole state... Glad you're enjoying warmer weather!