Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

11 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is this the same crowd that wanted to say Gurley was done in 2016?

Because this seems like the same crowd that wanted to say Gurley was done in 2016.

Gurley is a freakish athlete who had an amazing rookie season. McCaffrey could still be a good player in the right offense, but his talent as a RB never warranted being drafted in the 1st round. Lack's both the power, and burst. 

18 minutes ago, Darkness said:

Gurley is a freakish athlete who had an amazing rookie season. McCaffrey could still be a good player in the right offense, but his talent as a RB never warranted being drafted in the 1st round. Lack's both the power, and burst. 

Your shorting his overall abilities. CMC is more than just a RB. He is a modern hybrid offensive player. 

For argument's sake, it's likened to comparing a pass rushing 4-3 DE to a 3-4 edge defender who can rush the passer, play the run, and also has the skill set to drop and be effective in pass coverage. The 3-4 edge player most certainly a more well balanced player with more to offer and is therefore more valuable. 

44 minutes ago, Darkness said:

Fact of the matter is, a half a season’s sample size is a hell of a time to make a final decision on whether or not the kid’s a bust. 

Need I go down the list of great RBs who didn’t have Adrian Peterson level athleticism? 

On 11/1/2017 at 12:21 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

I think the expectation of McCaffrey was to be a satellite back, not a traditional three down guy. You're treating him like Darren Sproles - get him in space, get him the ball and let him work.

Given that guys like Sproles have been dominant in minimal carries, I could see McCaffrey turning it up, albeit in a different way.

I'd almost contend he was viewed (though clearly not by Shula) by a number of OC's as a Percy Harvin type.  The issue is that the Panthers have a number of factors which play against him properly being utilized in that fashion: The OC (Shula), the QB (the traits that play to utilizing McCaffrey in that role aren't the stronger ones in Cam's quiver), and an OL that doesn't have the pieces (and/or hasn't been able to keep them healthy in the case of the Kalil that's actually good) to play to the strengths of scheming the player into this role (IIRC when Minnesota drafted Harvin originally they at least had a second-level-God interior lineman in Hutch and a high-IQ/adjustment-savvy center in Matt Birk... albeit they were also saddling Harvin with Tavaris Jackson at QB).

If I'm taking McCafferey with his skillset as the 8th overall pick, I'd better be getting a Marshall Faulk type player. Or Tiki Barber. Someone that can make it work between the tackles and is a huge threat in the pass game. McCafferey hasn't really done anything as an inside runner as of yet. Granted, it's his rookie year, and the Panthers offensive line has had issues...Still, it'd be ideal see something than catching passes.. Last game against Atlanta was a step in the right direction. 

7 hours ago, Darkness said:

Image result for arnold schwarzenegger you lack discipline

7 hours ago, Darkness said:

Lol lacks burst..

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

If I'm taking McCafferey with his skillset as the 8th overall pick, I'd better be getting a Marshall Faulk type player. Or Tiki Barber. Someone that can make it work between the tackles and is a huge threat in the pass game. McCafferey hasn't really done anything as an inside runner as of yet. Granted, it's his rookie year, and the Panthers offensive line has had issues...Still, it'd be ideal see something than catching passes.. Last game against Atlanta was a step in the right direction. 

Again, a players draft position is completely irrelevant as long as he proves to be a valuable starter, or shows early the potential to be one, which McCaffrey has. There are also a large portion of first round draft picks who also never pan out, so stating that one needs to acquire an All Pro in the early selections of the draft is specious. 

Needs to do something other than just catch passes? Such as the rare ability for a rookie to line up in mutiple positions, effectively pass block and pick up blitzes, and contribute on kick and punt returns? Well, you can check all those boxes also. 

No, he wasn't worth the 8th overall pick. A runningback isn't worth that unless they're a Zeke or Johnson. But he hasn't been terrible. He's already one of the best satellite backs in the league and he's only a rookie. At least we can say he won't be a total bust. There is a market for good satellite backs in today's league.

Gurley is probably a better athlete when you adjust for size, but McCaffrey is still really athletic. Did you even look up his combine numbers, or are you just assuming he's a not a good athlete for... another reason?

1 hour ago, Darkness said:

Not sure if serious....

Alright, I was sorta wrong, I misremembered McCaffrey's numbers. Gurley's SPARQ number is a whopping 0.5 points higher (good for a 0.4 % difference) ([1]; [2]). So they are in the same ballpark athletically. Though I must say I'm not sure where Gurley's numbers came from, as I believe he had no open workout before the draft.

2 minutes ago, LD696 said:

Alright, I was sorta wrong, I misremembered McCaffrey's numbers. Gurley's SPARQ number is a whopping 0.5 points higher (good for a 0.4 % difference) ([1]; [2]). So they are in the same ballpark athletically.

Can’t believe someone would argue McCaffrey is close to Gurley athletically. All you have to do is watch them play to know that’s not true.

Dalvin Cook tested much worse then the athleticism he shows on the field. Christian McCaffrey tested much better then what he shows on the field.

combine =/= football

Archived