Ian Book

MookieMonstah

11 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Hey Drew Brees wasn’t elite at first either 😂😂

Problem is there is no patience in today's league.  A QB like Brees with minimal physical gifts who needs a few years to learn will never make it these days.  Brees case was pretty unique honestly.

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Problem is there is no patience in today's league.  A QB like Brees with minimal physical gifts who needs a few years to learn will never make it these days.  Brees case was pretty unique honestly.

I truly think this is a big reason Mahomes is so successful. He sat on the bench for his first full season, and in between plays Andy Ried wasn't micromanaging the game, he was sitting next to Mahomes, teaching him, running him through everything that had just happened. That continued in his 2nd year, and I guess we all see where that went.

Coaching as it happens with a full year of prep, rather than just practice and film room. Maybe there's something to that.

In all fairness, most coaches are on a short leash. They've got a good QB pick because their team sucked the year before, and they have to prove themselves, so they're glued to the game, stressed, and are in desperation mode. Throw the Rookie out there and have that guy to blame.

41 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I truly think this is a big reason Mahomes is so successful. He sat on the bench for his first full season, and in between plays Andy Ried wasn't micromanaging the game, he was sitting next to Mahomes, teaching him, running him through everything that had just happened. That continued in his 2nd year, and I guess we all see where that went.

Coaching as it happens with a full year of prep, rather than just practice and film room. Maybe there's something to that.

In all fairness, most coaches are on a short leash. They've got a good QB pick because their team sucked the year before, and they have to prove themselves, so they're glued to the game, stressed, and are in desperation mode. Throw the Rookie out there and have that guy to blame.

Yea, coaches don't last nearly long enough to put up with bad rookie play for 2-3 years.  Only a first round pick would get that kind of leash, and even then only barely.  But what helps guys like Mahomes, incredible physical talent they can put to use day one, without needing elite knowledge of the game and a few years experience.

I disagree. I think if Brees was drafted in today's NFL he would see early success. Obviously wouldn't be "peak Drew Brees" right away, but with all the rule changes since he was initially drafted, I have little doubt he would be much more successful early on than he was when he entered the league back in 2001. A guy like Mac Jones comes to mind this season as a guy with "limited physical gifts", but being advanced in the mental aspects for a rookie QB combined with great touch/accuracy. He's playing better than all of the guys with "physical gifts" that were drafted in the 1st round this year.

yeah Drew Brees is still going to work his way to the starting lineup if he was drafted today and show success over extended playing time, especially if he was drafted by Payton. How he'd look out there, especially with that lineup we had on Monday night, I couldn't say. Guys, the Eagles could always lose their last 2... but it's probably for the best they don't.

Edited by Fray32

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I disagree. I think if Brees was drafted in today's NFL he would see early success. Obviously wouldn't be "peak Drew Brees" right away, but with all the rule changes since he was initially drafted, I have little doubt he would be much more successful early on than he was when he entered the league back in 2001. A guy like Mac Jones comes to mind this season as a guy with "limited physical gifts", but being advanced in the mental aspects for a rookie QB combined with great touch/accuracy. He's playing better than all of the guys with "physical gifts" that were drafted in the 1st round this year.

Well yes, he would last if he had early success, and it's easier to succeed in today's league.

What I was getting at, is teams wouldn't give the kind of leash Brees had early on if he didn't play well for 2-3 years.  Ian Book will need to show something a lot quicker than Brees did.