LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

14 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

If we have a top 5 pick, I'd like to see Snead fired personally. 

If we have a top 5 pick I would be VERY excited to see an aggressive Les Snead in the following offseason with a QB on a rookie deal, a ton of cap space, and draft capital. That is when he is at his best. Not what this offseason was bargain bin shopping although I love what we paid for John Johnson to return.

53 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If we have a top 5 pick I would be VERY excited to see an aggressive Les Snead in the following offseason with a QB on a rookie deal, a ton of cap space, and draft capital. That is when he is at his best. Not what this offseason was bargain bin shopping although I love what we paid for John Johnson to return.

Les is at his best when there's an innovative coach that is able to cover up all his flaws. The fact that we were bidding for both Brian Burns and CMac last year shows he has no plan for the team. If he is at his best with that and all teams apparently want a young QB on a rookie deal, he's doing very little to accomplish that. 

58 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The point would be to accumulate firsts to acquire the first pick overall and then build around a QB on a rookie deal. That is essentially the plan most teams have. Its the best competitive advantage in football.

I would also agree Stafford then gets traded, but he would again, he would be worthless at that cap hit/age.

Teams trading for a UFA would have a 1-year rental, but it would devalue him because he would be going back into the open market at the end of the season. Would you give up a 3rd -4th round pick for someone to play ~7 games and potentially walk? Me neither, but hopefully he gets you back a comp pick in the process. VJ might fetch a 5th-6th if hes moved at the deadline. 

We traded a lot more than that for the Von Miller rental. The 49ers traded more for the Emmanuel Sanders rental. I'm not expecting a day 2 pick for Van, but if we made him available he has some value. Not game changing if the goal is to get 1st overall pick ammunition, but realistically the only way we can get that type of fire power is to have the worst record ourselves. 

9 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Les is at his best when there's an innovative coach that is able to cover up all his flaws. The fact that we were bidding for both Brian Burns and CMac last year shows he has no plan for the team. If he is at his best with that and all teams apparently want a young QB on a rookie deal, he's doing very little to accomplish that. 

Well you need to react to what the market presents you. Brian Burns is elite level at a position of importance so you have to explore that option. He'd be a fool not to explore it. CMC, he realized that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze.

If Patrick Mahomes became available and we inquired, would you knock Snead for that? Not a part of the plan?

We built our contender with Goff on a rookie deal. He paid Goff ahead of Mahomes deal because he knew it would break the market. That was quite intelligent actually. He is a super bowl winning GM. Him and McVay are untouchable in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We traded a lot more than that for the Von Miller rental. The 49ers traded more for the Emmanuel Sanders rental. I'm not expecting a day 2 pick for Van, but if we made him available he has some value. Not game changing if the goal is to get 1st overall pick ammunition, but realistically the only way we can get that type of fire power is to have the worst record ourselves. 

I can't tell if you compared Von Miller rental to Van Jefferson rental? If so, no further rebuttal needed on my end.

VJ would be a 5-7th round value and doesnt move the needle for us when we would get that comp pick back if he signs elsewhere. 

If we finish with a top 10 pick. Trade AD for 1 first and a 2nd. Then we have ammunition to move up to #1.

#8 + #25 + # 57 and 2025 FRP gets us into the top 3 discussion. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

There’s no way we draft a QB next year with our first round pick let alone top 5 when we have Stetson Bennett. Pash rusher it will be guaranteed. 

19 hours ago, Flounch said:

Unless Stafford is injured or banged up, i don't think we will see Bennett playing this year. 

The real question is, how bad are we going to be this year ? I guess if we have a top 5 pick, Snead will be tempted to draft a QB, but we have more pressing needs than QB. 

I think McVay will invest in Bennett and we go pass rush or Oline in first round 

47 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I can't tell if you compared Von Miller rental to Van Jefferson rental? If so, no further rebuttal needed on my end.

VJ would be a 5-7th round value and doesnt move the needle for us when we would get that comp pick back if he signs elsewhere. 

If we finish with a top 10 pick. Trade AD for 1 first and a 2nd. Then we have ammunition to move up to #1.

#8 + #25 + # 57 and 2025 FRP gets us into the top 3 discussion. 

The comparison is only on the rental piece. Change him for Emmanuel Sanders who went for a 3rd and 4th (49ers got a 5th too). The point wasn't that we'd get equal value for Von, but that trading guys on last years of deals happens quite a bit. Especially because sellers (us) aren't usually able to get comp picks back due to spending money on acquiring FAs. Which is the position we are likely going to be in.

52 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Well you need to react to what the market presents you. Brian Burns is elite level at a position of importance so you have to explore that option. He'd be a fool not to explore it. CMC, he realized that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze.

If Patrick Mahomes became available and we inquired, would you knock Snead for that? Not a part of the plan?

We built our contender with Goff on a rookie deal. He paid Goff ahead of Mahomes deal because he knew it would break the market. That was quite intelligent actually. He is a super bowl winning GM. Him and McVay are untouchable in my eyes.

Of course we would have been foolish to get Burns. It was rumored we offered the 2024 and 2025 picks for him. Would you feel better about this team if we had Burns but didn't have the next 2 first rounders with the state of the roster? CMC, sure we got outbid. But the offer we presented would still have been too much for us given where we were last year and where we are heading.

Patrick Mahomes - sure we can acquire him. And when Brian Burns shows that he can make a team a contender then he can bump up into the Mahomes tier. Until then, maybe keep your strawman arguments to yourself.

We built our contender because of McVay. How was the Goff deal intelligent? This is the problem with Les, there is no other GM that gives out big money that immediately becomes a disaster within weeks into the deal. We saw it with Goff, Gurley, and Allen Robinson. Tavon Austin and Ogletree too. At this point, same can be said for the Joe Noteboom deal. 

9 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We built our contender because of McVay. How was the Goff deal intelligent? This is the problem with Les, there is no other GM that gives out big money that immediately becomes a disaster within weeks into the deal. We saw it with Goff, Gurley, and Allen Robinson. Tavon Austin and Ogletree too. At this point, same can be said for the Joe Noteboom deal. 

As per the ESPN article that came out, the Goff deal was done ahead of the Mahomes deal because GMs around the league new it would break the bank and set a precedent for other QBs. Goff coming off a Super Bowl appearance would have asked for the same. Instead we got it done before Mahomes deal and Goff was still able to be traded. 

I look at Snead's ability to cut losses as a positive compared to some of the GMs out there who continue to double down on their mistakes. What about the Ramsey trade? did that pay dividends? Robinson's issue was more on how he was used (lack there of) compounded with his injury. Insider information shared he left due to his role and routes assigned. 

Wagner was a great signing but left when he found out we wouldn't be a contender this year. Sony Michel? paid off. CJ Anderson? same. His ability to find talent in the later rounds that kept our top heavy cap team a competitor can't be understated, but we tend to forget very easily.

I learned my lesson after watching this team kick Kurt Warner to the curb. If you win this franchise a ring, you get a pass for a long time. Especially in a down year that was planned. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

As per the ESPN article that came out, the Goff deal was done ahead of the Mahomes deal because GMs around the league new it would break the bank and set a precedent for other QBs. Goff coming off a Super Bowl appearance would have asked for the same. Instead we got it done before Mahomes deal and Goff was still able to be traded. 

I look at Snead's ability to cut losses as a positive compared to some of the GMs out there who continue to double down on their mistakes. What about the Ramsey trade? did that pay dividends? Robinson's issue was more on how he was used (lack there of) compounded with his injury. Insider information shared he left due to his role and routes assigned. 

Wagner was a great signing but left when he found out we wouldn't be a contender this year. Sony Michel? paid off. CJ Anderson? same. His ability to find talent in the later rounds that kept our top heavy cap team a competitor can't be understated, but we tend to forget very easily.

I learned my lesson after watching this team kick Kurt Warner to the curb. If you win this franchise a ring, you get a pass for a long time. Especially in a down year that was planned. 

If your argument is going to be "but he won us a SuperBowl" then I don't have a counter. We traded a 4th and a 6th rounder for a running back that basically could only get 3-5 yards per rush. Those type of players are almost always available as FAs. As evident by CJ Anderson from 2018 who we did just sign without trading picks for. Do we win a SB without Michel? Impossible to say. He certainly wasn't a big part of any meaningful games that year. 

Snead just doesn't utilize resources well. I also don't buy that he doesn't double down on past mistakes. Jourdan Rodrigue has reported several times that the Rams will never pay a RB again after the Gurley fiasco, but since then we have spent 3 day 2 picks on running backs and made a strong push to acquire CMac. 

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

If your argument is going to be "but he won us a SuperBowl" then I don't have a counter. We traded a 4th and a 6th rounder for a running back that basically could only get 3-5 yards per rush. Those type of players are almost always available as FAs. As evident by CJ Anderson from 2018 who we did just sign without trading picks for. Do we win a SB without Michel? Impossible to say. He certainly wasn't a big part of any meaningful games that year. 

Snead just doesn't utilize resources well. I also don't buy that he doesn't double down on past mistakes. Jourdan Rodrigue has reported several times that the Rams will never pay a RB again after the Gurley fiasco, but since then we have spent 3 day 2 picks on running backs and made a strong push to acquire CMac. 

My argument is that in addition to winning a Super Bowl he is an outstanding identifier of late round, he is aggressive, he emphasizes spending on key positions. Everyone who has left our organization raves about the culture (von miller, OBJ) and while McVay is a key factor in that, they are a team.

He has done a great job working the comp pick system so when he does push for trade, he leaves himself an out for if it goes south. The grass isn't always greener and Snead is a damn good GM. His resume isn't spotless, but if we finish bottom 5 this year, I would be excited to see how he performs with a stacked deck. I wouldn't want to just hand over this to a brand new GM with little understanding of McVay or our roster.

15 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

My argument is that in addition to winning a Super Bowl he is an outstanding identifier of late round, he is aggressive, he emphasizes spending on key positions. Everyone who has left our organization raves about the culture (von miller, OBJ) and while McVay is a key factor in that, they are a team.

He has done a great job working the comp pick system so when he does push for trade, he leaves himself an out for if it goes south. The grass isn't always greener and Snead is a damn good GM. His resume isn't spotless, but if we finish bottom 5 this year, I would be excited to see how he performs with a stacked deck. I wouldn't want to just hand over this to a brand new GM with little understanding of McVay or our roster.

Unless Snead identified McVay in the coaching search, I'm not sure he gets much credit for the culture. Snead was the GM of the Rams from 2012-2016 before McVay was the coach. How was the culture then? 

I think I know why the Rams were bad last year.

The Rams also failed to have winning seasons in 1992, 1998, 2004 (they were an 8-8 playoff team that year though), 2010 and 2016.

What do those seasons and 2022 all have in common? They are all years divisible by 6. The last time the Rams had a winning season in such a year was 1986. So chalk it up to some sort of curse.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Unless Snead identified McVay in the coaching search, I'm not sure he gets much credit for the culture. Snead was the GM of the Rams from 2012-2016 before McVay was the coach. How was the culture then? 

If you think the dynamic between Fisher and Snead is the same as McVay Snead then I dont know what to tell you man.

Fisher ran the show when he was here.

McVay and Snead are a partnership and a successful one. They get a long leash in my eyes. 

This is very unlike our organization.

Not the interest in a high profile player, but  this information leaking out. I've talked to people who have connections in the organization and we are one of the most tight lipped teams in the NFL. Nothing gets out. That's why when we do trades, its very rarely floated beforehand.

I'd be curious what our offer is. I would be comfortable with a 2nd, but I would want a longer term deal in place. 3 years max, $12Mil per. Slightly better than Saquon but he also has less of an injury history.