BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A buddy of mine goes in and tells them after the test drive they have an hour or he walks. He cuts them off every time with a countdown reminder.

”37 minutes”

”25 minutes”

”Come on (wife’s name) let’s go these people aren’t serious”

It works EVERY TIME.

Damnit I gotta try that. I'm much more prepared for war this time.

I had a friend go to look at a car, but had a legit time crunch to pick his kid up from school. The salesman was playing games and he kept telling the guy "I will buy the car, I just have to leave to get my kid, I'm buying the car." And the salesman thought it was a game, so as my buddy was in the parking lot leaving the salesman ran out and was like "I'll take $4,000 off the sticker price!". My buddy was dying, like he legit told him he would already buy the car at the original price, just didn't have the time. So he got the guy to agree, he left to get his kid, came back and got the car for 4k less. I could never be that lucky.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Damnit I gotta try that. I'm much more prepared for war this time.

I had a friend go to look at a car, but had a legit time crunch to pick his kid up from school. The salesman was playing games and he kept telling the guy "I will buy the car, I just have to leave to get my kid, I'm buying the car." And the salesman thought it was a game, so as my buddy was in the parking lot leaving the salesman ran out and was like "I'll take $4,000 off the sticker price!". My buddy was dying, like he legit told him he would already buy the car at the original price, just didn't have the time. So he got the guy to agree, he left to get his kid, came back and got the car for 4k less. I could never be that lucky.

The hard part is, for those of us with social behavioral norms (tagging @Ragnarok so he wastes his time looking at sales and marketing manipulative data today), sales people thrive on dragging it out and hard selling things, counting on you to be polite/kind and then gouge you, knowing that the average person buys a new car or truck every 3-4 years, which is roughly 9.4 new cars every lifetime.

So, the more you politely acquiesce and try to use subtle social cues, the more they continue to hard sell and make you question the behavior or just give in to make it be over.

Them seeing your willingness to play hard ball and walk away is 100% your biggest play. Sometimes they call your bluff, so you have to be willing to follow through, but that could also be going to a different dealership if you have that specific car in mind. For example, the last vehicle I bought was in 2016 (I bought it new). I had THREE dealerships I was going to go to within a 60 mile radius and new that I may end up leaving the first two to get to the third. I ended up going to the first place and buying it there, but your story above is 100% spot on with how the markup goes and sales tactics go. 

Most of us feel legitimately BAD about playing hard ball, but you absolutely shouldn't, because all of the trend data says that they are going to absolutely take you to the cleaners, then throw in a bunch of random crap you don't want or need, while then talking you into a longer loan for "affordable monthly payments" to add some major interest to their bottom line, and by the time you realize you've been had, it doesn't matter because you won't be back for another 4-6 years anyway, in which case they're willing to bet that the quality of the vehicle and dopamine response you've had for a 5+ year period of time will outweigh those negative experiences...and then they're going to DO IT TO YOU ALL OVER AGAIN.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The hard part is, for those of us with social behavioral norms (tagging @Ragnarok so he wastes his time looking at sales and marketing manipulative data today), sales people thrive on dragging it out and hard selling things, counting on you to be polite/kind and then gouge you, knowing that the average person buys a new car or truck every 3-4 years, which is roughly 9.4 new cars every lifetime.

So, the more you politely acquiesce and try to use subtle social cues, the more they continue to hard sell and make you question the behavior or just give in to make it be over.

Them seeing your willingness to play hard ball and walk away is 100% your biggest play. Sometimes they call your bluff, so you have to be willing to follow through, but that could also be going to a different dealership if you have that specific car in mind. For example, the last vehicle I bought was in 2016 (I bought it new). I had THREE dealerships I was going to go to within a 60 mile radius and new that I may end up leaving the first two to get to the third. I ended up going to the first place and buying it there, but your story above is 100% spot on with how the markup goes and sales tactics go. 

Most of us feel legitimately BAD about playing hard ball, but you absolutely shouldn't, because all of the trend data says that they are going to absolutely take you to the cleaners, then throw in a bunch of random crap you don't want or need, while then talking you into a longer loan for "affordable monthly payments" to add some major interest to their bottom line, and by the time you realize you've been had, it doesn't matter because you won't be back for another 4-6 years anyway, in which case they're willing to bet that the quality of the vehicle and dopamine response you've had for a 5+ year period of time will outweigh those negative experiences...and then they're going to DO IT TO YOU ALL OVER AGAIN.

Alright, it's settled. You're coming with me.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Alright, it's settled. You're coming with me.

Jewelry stores are infinitely worse. The trend data says the average person enters once every 20-25 years, so basically "rob them blind because they'll never be back anyway". I'm dead serious.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

I’ve never liked people in sales. Sorry all you guys in sales. calvin lockhart go to hell GIF by Warner Archive

I've done sales in the past. Shoot part of owning my business now is selling my services. Gets annoying at times but it's not awful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

I've done sales in the past. Shoot part of owning my business now is selling my services. Gets annoying at times but it's not awful.

You probably don’t push for 7 hours though and either get straight to the deal or punch them in the face

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

You probably don’t push for 7 hours though and either get straight to the deal or punch them in the face

Part of the area I work is very rich people and sometimes they tend to just speak to you like an idiot. Last year I had a kid working with me during an interaction with a customer where I spoke to him exactly how he spoke to me, and he changed his tone super quick. But the kid with me got into the truck was like "Yea I feel like you went too far back there." haha

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Part of the area I work is very rich people and sometimes they tend to just speak to you like an idiot. Last year I had a kid working with me during an interaction with a customer where I spoke to him exactly how he spoke to me, and he changed his tone super quick. But the kid with me got into the truck was like "Yea I feel like you went too far back there." haha

This made me think of this immediately:

363d2515-e4b1-48b0-b743-53bb372e1725_tex

• Like 1