BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was out on Foster after his positive test at the combine, and that never had anything to do with weed. It shows how serious you take the biggest job interview of your life when you know you’re getting tested.

It would be like me or anyone else showing up to a job interview with alcohol on our breath in jeans and a t shirt.

Yeah, but Justin Houston.

That's why some teams still take chances. Big difference between round 1 and round 3 however.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rackcs said:

There are still some people posting despite the ridiculous spam bots lol in the main NFL forum there is a stickied 2020 NFL discussion thread that still gets a few posters it looks like. One of whom is Johnnyallstar. Someone needs to tell him to migrate over here.

The most recent comment, from a douchy Steelers fan I remember all too well:

"Flores is a ******. The Rooneys need to take their bleeding hearts, polish them nice and shiny, turn them sideways, and stick them straight up their candy *****."

Never change WF, never change

Sad thing is it had some reasonable content to read. But the site is so bogged down it got to the point where my phone would lose like 6% battery life for every page loaded. It was unfathomable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Yeah, but Justin Houston.

Right, but not in the first round

7 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

That's why some teams still take chances. Big difference between round 1 and round 3 however.

Exactly

There's a time to take your shot, and usually that's D2-D3 (See: Tyreke Hill, Justin Houston, etc.).

For every Tyreke Hill, I'll raise you an Antonio Callaway.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Right, but not in the first round

Exactly

There's a time to take your shot, and usually that's D2-D3 (See: Tyreke Hill, Justin Houston, etc.).

For every Tyreke Hill, I'll raise you an Antonio Callaway.

This is a perfect example of the reality of the draft.

The one thing you can't account for, you can't predict, is skill translation. In other words, how someone's skill will translate to the NFL. You can make guesses, but we have seen some of the best prospects fail and some of the most unlikely excel. Because at the end of the day, all the skills, intelligence, work ethic, character, determination, dedication, etc you don't know until they've gotta do it on game day how it'll all come together or if it even will. 

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The one thing you can't account for, you can't predict, is skill translation. In other words, how someone's skill will translate to the NFL. You can make guesses, but we have seen some of the best prospects fail and some of the most unlikely excel. Because at the end of the day, all the skills, intelligence, work ethic, character, determination, dedication, etc you don't know until they've gotta do it on game day how it'll all come together or if it even will. 

And there’s still a small part of this that is the dumb luck of which team they end up with.

Some coaches ask prospects to do the things they are good at and bring them along slowly.

Other teams I get the impression they just toss them straight into the system they already have and say please help.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The sliding scale of "talent to character concerns" is the equivalent of the HIMYM "Crazy to Hot" Vicky Mendoza line:

E8SOvGU.gif

Essentially, replace "talented" with "hot" and keep crazy.

Insane talent gets you drafted, it's just a matter of "where", and it's absolutely a sliding scale per draft value.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Or driving 156 mph drunk after your whole draft story line was how your best friend in high school was killed in a car accident and you still honor his memory...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I've begun to care a lot less about talent ceiling and more about what team they go to.

The locker room support system from top down definitely matters, but in some cases (See: Antonio Brown x2), it doesn't even matter then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Or driving 156 mph drunk after your whole draft story line was how your best friend in high school was killed in a car accident and you still honor his memory...

While I agree with that it also falls very much in line with intelligence and character. And sometimes a person will put on a show because they want to achieve something and they will hide their true character until they get to that point and then they think that it's OK to just be themselves speak themselves and unfortunately themselves sometimes turns out to be a really crappy human being

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

which is more embarrassing, all the talk about Kenny Pickett's hand size or all the people claiming it doesn't matter

Option C

All of the people not talking about how he's going to be 24 in June.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Option C

All of the people not talking about how he's going to be 24 in June.

I mean there's other reasons to think Pickett isn't much of a prospect but the people complaining about the hand size stuff and writing it off as irrelevant are vastly more annoying than the people who are talking about it

Just now, Blue said:

I mean there's other reasons to think Pickett isn't much of a prospect but the people complaining about the hand size stuff and writing it off as irrelevant are vastly more annoying than the people who are talking about it

I guess I just see so many obstacles for him. 24, 1 year of solid production, super small hands...could he come out of nowhere and have figured it out with essentially 1 good year and become the next Joe Burrow?

...No

(Maybe semi athletic Mac Jones)