BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

2.1 - Cuba: Charles Cross / OT / MSST

Cross is technically OT2 for me since I have Ekwonu listed as a guard. He's a pass blocker first and foremost who needs to show more in the run game. Great selection for a team with questions at both tackle spots. No. 11 on my board but positional value isn't factored in.

2.2 - Gotham: Andrew Booth Jr / CB / Clemson

A really surprising pick, and while you can easily argue it's a BPA choice, it's still tough to justify as I don't think Xavien Howard is going anywhere and he still has Tyson Campbell as CB3. Whicker really needed to build up his trenches early in this class and he didn't. That said, Booth is a really great player, although the lack of workout numbers prior to the draft is deeply concerning. Bit of a gamble here on what was my No. 10 player (although I hadn't really factored in the lack of pre-draft workout).

2.3 - Antarctica: Devin Lloyd / LB / Utah

Lloyd gets rave reviews for his intelligence and locker room leadership, and I know he's drawn Darius Leonard comps. As someone who rated Leonard a fringe 1st-rounder pre-draft, I don't see it, personally. Lloyd is at his best attacking the line of scrimmage and has tremendous instincts, and in the right scheme, he could be a good pass-rusher too. He reminds me a lot of Dont'a Hightower without as much weight/bulk. However, I don't like his cover ability and I think he struggles going sideline to sideline, which are areas I believe modern linebackers HAVE to excel at. He's hovering around top-40 range for me.

2.4 - Cancun: Zion Johnson / G / Boston College

Love Zion, think he's a Pro Bowl guard. Versatility to play anywhere on the line in a pinch. Shades of Elgton Jenkins. I needed to solidify at least one guard spot in the draft and took the guy who could play either side to facilitate getting the best 5 on the field.

2.5 - Camden: Boye Mafe / Edge / Minnesota

I like but don't love Mafe. I think he struggles turning speed into power and he played rotationally at Minnesota, so he has a lot of the same questions as the Gerogia linemen there. He has awesome bend to turn the edge on the tackle, and I think in a year or two is when we'll start to see what he can really be. A guy I rated in the 30s, which is pretty close to his mock draft consensus.

2.6 - Cancun: Chris Olave / WR / OSU

We couldn't pass on him. Honestly, we figured he would be gone by now. My WR2 and 20th overall on my board, should secure our receiver room for the next several seasons with Sutton and Moore. The fact he's likely to go to a situation where he's a clear-cut WR1 or WR2 IRL helps.

2.7 - Death Valley: Jahan Dotson / WR / Penn State

Dotson isn't my highest-rated receiver available here, but he's absolutely the one with the fewest question marks. you know what you're getting here and don't really have to project transition to higher level of competition or injuries or anything like that. The size and frame are concerning, and he isn't a standout deep threat to make up for it, but he's a little spark plug of a receiver. Just inside the top-50 on my board.

2.8 - Anchorage: Jameson Williams / WR / Alabama

Much like Drake London, I see the appeal but have a lot of red flags that turned us off from him. The ACL injury, a skinny frame, small-ish hands, heavy reliance on his home-run ability to be an impact player, character issues, only really one year of production (albeit stuck behind some really great players previously at Ohio State). Rated in a similar range but a little higher than Jahan Dotson.

2.9 - Hungary: Tyler Linderbaum / C / Iowa

Didn't even bother scouting Linderbaum for this because we weren't taking him, but he's the clear-cut No. 1 center and a great prospect by all accounts. Really strong addition to Hungary's line, which needs the talent infusion.

2.10 - Death Valley: Breece Hall / RB / Iowa St

I love Breece Hall and hate that he's going to a division rival. No. 7 on my board. He isn't an elite athlete and didn't play against top-level competition, but he's a solidly built runner with great receiving chops and reminds me a lot of a better built Aaron Jones.

2.11 - Camden:  Nakobe Dean / LB / Georgia

Dean is LB1 on my board, though he has some question marks. Prototypical coverage backer in the modern NFL with his quickness, backpedal, and instincts. Strong blitzing ability too. That said, he struggled with his open-field tackling and he's a smaller player, so he needs to play the weakside to be a really effective pro. I'm a little worried he turns out like Darron Lee, can get to the ball but can't make the play when he gets there. No. 13 on my board.

2.12 - Seoul:  Kaiir Elam / CB / Florida

Like don't love Elam, 35th on the board. Great size and an excellent boundary corner we would have had to consider at 3.3. Super physical and good ball skills. Length is an issue, as are run defense and his ability to play against bigger receivers he can't just manhandle.

2.13 - Lancaster: Trevor Penning / OT / Northern Iowa 

Penning is developing a bit of a rep as a fake tough guy in some parts of the draftnik universe. He's got a lot of obvious athletic ability but he's often sloppy with his technique and effort. He needs to get more consistent with his hands in pass protection before anybody should think about leaving him out there on an island. More of a developmental player with high upside at 23rd on my board.

2.14 - Antarctica: Christian Watson / WR / NDSU

I had Watson rated in the low 30s. He blew by defenders at a lower level of competition who had no business trying to play him, he's surprisingly agile for a man his height, and he's got the ability to highpoint the ball if need be. Not especially quick on his breaks and is a bit stiff in the hips, I think it's reasonable to ask how highly he would be thought of if he had to play with the big boys regularly instead of at the FCS level.

2.15 - Seoul: David Ojabo / Edge / Michigan

Ojabo was the best player on the Michigan defense last year in my opinion, and he landed at 17th on my board after the Pro Day injury (Edge3). Great athleticism and is already a strong pass rusher. He has a much higher ceiling than Hutchinson in my opinion, and no way he lasts this long without the injury.

2.16 - Berlin:  Malik Willis / QB / Liberty

I don't hate the pick. There are a number of knocks on Willis: he isn't consistently accurate as a passer, he has character questions stemming from his time at Auburn, struggled real badly to find a secondary receiver when his first option was covered, and he doesn't trust his arm on touch passes. He definitely needs a year of development and almost certainly won't get that in the NFL. All that said, he's a great athlete on tape with a huge arm and a smart, aggressive downfield passer. Those things play in the modern NFL. Just have to hope his real-life landing spot isn't too atrocious.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I can buy Mariota being a bust, Kevin White from that class too. Winston is a starter in the league and while he hasnt necessarily become #1 overall level of good, he’s not a bust either imo. 

When you have a first-round pick who A) doesn't get a second contract from the team that drafted him, B) has to win a QB competition with Taysom Hill to start for his second team, and C) has more career interceptions than games played, he's a bust.

Edited by Blue

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

2.16 - Berlin:  Malik Willis / QB / Liberty

I don't hate the pick. There are a number of knocks on Willis: he isn't consistently accurate as a passer, he has character questions stemming from his time at Auburn, struggled real badly to find a secondary receiver when his first option was covered, and he doesn't trust his arm on touch passes. He definitely needs a year of development and almost certainly won't get that in the NFL. All that said, he's a great athlete on tape with a huge arm and a smart, aggressive downfield passer. Those things play in the modern NFL. Just have to hope his real-life landing spot isn't too atrocious.

Agree with this except the character concerns part.  Saw an interview where he discussed his transfer and he owned up to the fact he needed to grow up and put the work in at the point.  Don't think there are any legal issues, and I am comfortable with a college kid looking back and admitting his childishness.  That's more a 'he needed to grow up, not a character concern'.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Nope, no one told me you were taking Willis, I just knew you would.

Considering I didn't really want to take him, no, you didn't.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yes GIF by Desus & Mero

It's exactly what I'm hoping doesn't happen with Willis.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

When you have a first-round pick who A) doesn't get a second contract from the team that drafted him, B) has to win a QB competition with Taysom Hill to start for his second team, and C) has more career interceptions than games played, he's a bust.

I get that but my homer ways remain. I refuse to switch sides on that one. Hoping for the late winds to bloom.

• Like 1

Just now, RedGold said:

Ftr I was 100% taking Dean, so don’t fault me for the Obajo pick 

I went into this draft wanting to replace guys.  Drake to replace ARob.  Dax/McDuffie to replace Byron.  Ojabo to replace Z in a year.

Did not happen that way.

Cause of you.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Agree with this except the character concerns part.  Saw an interview where he discussed his transfer and he owned up to the fact he needed to grow up and put the work in at the point.  Don't think there are any legal issues, and I am comfortable with a college kid looking back and admitting his childishness.  That's more a 'he needed to grow up, not a character concern'.

Considering I didn't really want to take him, no, you didn't.

It's exactly what I'm hoping doesn't happen with Willis.

Except, you did take him, I am not surprised that the people who went before your pick went before your pick.

I talked to a few ppl about it and @Scoundrel can vouche for this, we did a 5 round mock, in that mock, I gave Berlin Malik Willis.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Except, you did take him, I am not surprised that the people who went before your pick went before your pick.

I talked to a few ppl about it and @Scoundrel can vouche for this, we did a 5 round mock, in that mock, I gave Berlin Malik Willis.

Hindsight all you want.  Scoundrel can also tell you I wanted Drake, Dax, and Ojabo with my first three picks. 

You couldn't have known I was going to take him if I didn't want to have to take him.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Oh for sure, I get that. It just wouldn't be the first time a guy claimed to have changed for the cameras and interviews, then did the same things once he got paid, y'know?

Just now, MD4L said:

Great work @Blue. As someone who read your entire evaluation, what exactly is the character concern with Jameson Williams?

Nothing big, some rumblings of ego and maturity. Didn't love the vibes when I've heard him interview. Just not something I'd want to worry about.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This is a fun argument. Because I've had a similar debate.

If I claim a prospect will bust. And he suffers so many injuries that he never really gets the chance to prove me wrong, am I right? Or would you argue it remains undetermined? 

• Like 1