Free Agent musings...

mwalker

This isn't a fully thorough FA strategy, but a few thoughts...

I believe we should and do resign T.Edmunds and Minkah (on a long term deal).
I think we resign A.Witherspoon. 
I think JuJu is 50/50, depending on what he'd want.
I think there will be some let gos and cuts, possibly more than usual.

Outside:

1) Brandon Scherff
(we should go all in on him and still draft two OL)

Others, in no particular order...

OT C.Robinson ( I think him and B.Scherff would be great additions)

DT J.Reed (have always liked him)
OG L.Tomlinson (if you can't get Scherff)
WR C. Godwin (unlikely, but still...)
CB JC Jackson (unlikely, but still...)
WR D.Chark
WR C.Kirk

I will say at QB, I just can't see anyone that I think we go for.
Maybe J.Winston or Mariota? Hmm.
I think it's more likely a trade if we go the direction of a veteran.

Edited by mwalker

53 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I will say at QB, I just can't see anyone that I think we go for.

Everything they do in FA has to be determined by what they do at QB. It makes no sense signing 30 year old OL to high priced contracts if they aren't going to target a quality veteran QB. And by quality, I'm talking about the few guys who may be available by trade who put you in contention for the playoffs and Super Bowl. Not Marcus Mariotta. Or Teddy Bridgewater. I honestly don't think Rodgers will be available. Seattle will do everything they can to keep Wilson, even if that means firing Caroll. You are left with Deshaun Watson, who I don't know if the team touches.

And I doubt they go for high priced older vets, anyway. They will look to direct excess cap space to young guys who they view as having the best part of their careers ahead of them. 

So, if the team is smart, they take a hard look at the rookie QB's. If they think they identify their guy, they take them. If not, you pass and you wait until you find your guy. Trot Mason Rudolph out there if you have to. They target up and coming FA's and they continue to add pieces through the draft. 

Great topic, as these aren't targets of ming, just random musings on some players and positions I expect them to be in on or at least talking about.  Player names are bolded.  Tried to keep things organized by position here with a little explainer on them.

I'm not on the Scherff train.  I think you can get a long term starter at RG/LG in the draft in round 3 pretty easily.  I would be more inclined to sign a G like Conor Williams, who does have inside outside ability. 

Instead if I had an over 30 FA I would look at it would be Terron Armstead but with some trepidation due to injury history.  I expect him to be tagged because of what it took to get him, but if you can Orlando Brown Jr will be out there.  Starting LT experience, road grater in the run game, and not a complete liability in the pass game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a run at Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye and play them with Minkah.  I'm very much in favor of 2 more FS type players so we can play coverage while supporting the run better.  Keanu Neal is that more LBer-ish SS that they seem to want out of the position.  Jabrill Peppers is coming off injury but has looked really good when he played with the Giants recently.  Of course the big one that would be interesting but I expect to be tagged, Jessie Bates III would be really interesting as that would certainly help cap big plays.  Justin Reid could be a really underrated Ryan Clark like pickup of good player on a bad defense.

I'm not against bringing Juju Smith-Schuster back, however I think him and Claypool are better in the same parts of the field, so maybe you try to move Claypool if you bring Juju back on a longer deal?  I like Zay Jones to be a target.  He's more of an outside version of Juju and bigger than DJ.  Mack Hollins isn't a big name but he's a player who can make an impact.  DJ Chark has kinda fallen off after his hot start to his career but I think it can be revived.  Michael Gallup, despite the knee injury, is someone I would throw a modest contract at.

I think I've been quite vocal about Jayon Brown needing to be a target at ILB this offseason.  He's kinda what we hoped Bush to be when we took him 10.  Bonus fun fact, Brown is only 3 years older than Bush.  I know there's interest in Rashaan Evans on the board here, but I think Leighton Vander Esch fits what we need better.  We were heavily linked to him before the 2018 draft too.

Corner is quite deep in FA this year. Kevin King is out there. I think Ahkello Witherspoon is a must return, but interestingly I think I would transition tag him, so if someone things he's worth signing we can get picks, if not we get another year of a look.  I expect JC Jackson to be tagged but he's potentially available.  Desmond King is a guy who can be a slot corner and punt returner who's out there.  Mackensie Alexander is a guy I would monitor and keep and eye on. Carlton Davis is like JC Jackson to me, expect him to be tagged, but he would be the dream.

I think backup RB is a spot we should use FA to address.  Jalen Richard would be a nice change of pace to Najee Harris.  More of a pass catching scat back than a between the tackles runner.  Marlon Mack would be a great fit, but given Tomlins pension for riding one back, I'm not sure Mack would go for that again.

I have no clue what's going to happen on the DL this year, but Derek Barnett is someone I think is miscast in his current role, and he has the body to be more of a 3T than 7/9T like Philly is using him as.

• Like 1

Nice list @warfelg. Really don't have much to add, but I'll try to avoid total repeats (for the most part). 

I do think the Steelers will operate differently than what is expected after being very Vet Heavy and light on financial assets....but I don't think they break away from the big money to guys over 27/28. We need impact guys -- specifically on the OL and in secondary. There's a plethora of potential targets that still fit that mold. 

On the offensive line:
I don't like the tackles that fit that signing mold at tackle, however. I think the FA impact we find is on the Interior and we leave the tackle up grade to the top 2 rounds of the draft. So.....

Connor Williams is my 1B free agent this year. Dallas just inserted him back into the starting lineup and was instantly upgraded for doing so. He is going to be 25 and would play LG, moving Dotson back to his long time position at RG. 

If we couldn't get Williams, James Daniels is my next in line. He has been a RG, so we don't move Dotson....but oh well. 

My 3rd option would be Austin Corbett. Been a good player with the Rams. Fred Johnson would be an interesting guy to get back. Not as a starter, but interesting depth if he doesn't get picked back up (might be a RFA?)

I'm a little afraid they are going to keep Dan Moore as the LT. If they do though, a stop gap like Morgan Moses would make a lot of sense at RT, IMO. But I think the guy everyone loves to hate is back in Chuks Okorafor. Yes, you can pick up the clips where Clowney worked him, but he is the second youngest OT FA available, has 2 years of okay ball, won't cost much, and can play RT/LT. 

Secondary:

My 1A: Carlton Davis. The Bucs have cap space, but also a LOT of meaningful FA's they need to make decisions on. It will ultimately just depend on how they go about their off-season. They have a short window of Brady (2-15 years) so it will be interesting to see where they go. But Carlton Davis would be a clear 3rd round comp that could be vital moving forward on a team that will fill up the cap. Godwin, JPP, Jensen, Suh, Gronk, Fournette, Howard, Whitehead, Cappa....all starters on TB that will be FA's along with Davis. In 23 its Brady, David, White, Vea, Bunting, Edwards, and Dean all hitting the market. The Bucs are set up pretty well to get creative, but that's a lot of significant names. Maybe Davis falls through. 

Beyond Davis, Donte Jackson is my next in line. Drafted Hornee, traded for Henderson, and signed Gilmore. Just seems Jackson will be the odd man out. 

I have a really hard time seeing Witherspoon willingly playing here next year. Tomlin would have to do a really, really, really good sell job. But Witherspoon back with one of the top guys + a top 4 round draft pick. I'd be very content at CB. 

War mentioned Justin Reid before, and I had honestly forgotten about him, but now I am desperate to get him. He would be a potential playmaker and I would be curious to see if they would try to fit him in the nickel role where the have valued sort of hybrid S/CB's. I see Edmunds coming back on a manageable deal, but Reid would be a great 3rd S/Nickel/Dime value re-build. 

Linebacker:

I think LVE and Evans are targets the Steelers will likely follow, but my big money targets are the OG and CB positions. I want to go after Josey Jewell. I think he pairs nicely next to Bush, who I don't think they are going to look to replace. We saw how god awful pairing Bush next to another light, athletic LB can be -- so give me an upgraded Spillane/V.Williams to free up Bush to be athletic. Jewell is going to be cheaper and pairs much better next to Bush. 

Receiver:

Don't mind re-singing JuJu, but the price needs to be right. Look at the money Robby Anders and Cory Davis pull down. Yikes. But I would still like to avoid top 3 picks on receiver. Re-sign JuJu, let DJ play out his contract (with the tag in mind the following year), have Claypool -- and add someone who wakes up faster than people please? Kick the tires on Will Fuller on a one-year hit to be the #4 and take the top off. 

If we did not resign JuJu, Chark, Crowder, and Humphries would all be interesting adds for the right price. But without knowing the QB situation....I'm not going out of my way to spend short term on receiver....or really, at all...(JuJu helps in the run game though). 

Tough to say anything about the DL right now without knowing more. Until we hear anything about changes though, I would operate as if Tuitt and Alualu are both back. In that case, I am avoiding FA and looking to add in the draft this year. 

I really hope Loudermilk adds some pass rush to his game in the off-season. He’s a lot better than I thought he was going to be, but he doesn’t add much in terms of pass rush. We need more interior, 3 tech, pass rush. Even if Tuitt comes back, we’ll need depth there. Heyward can’t be expected to do it all again. I hope we bring back Alualu, but he’s getting pretty long in the tooth and has injury concerns. Plus he’s not a great interior rusher at this point in his career. Fine for depth, and good on early downs. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really hope Loudermilk adds some pass rush to his game in the off-season. He’s a lot better than I thought he was going to be, but he doesn’t add much in terms of pass rush. We need more interior, 3 tech, pass rush. Even if Tuitt comes back, we’ll need depth there. Heyward can’t be expected to do it all again. I hope we bring back Alualu, but he’s getting pretty long in the tooth and has injury concerns. Plus he’s not a great interior rusher at this point in his career. Fine for depth, and good on early downs. 

Loudermilk has been a very nice surprise, but I agree with the pass rushing. I see him as more of Alualu's future roster replacement at the moment than Tuitt/Heyward (eventually). Feels like a player who has a long career in the league being useful. Pass rush is one of those skills I think you either have or you don't. Dudes don't usually turn into terrors overnight. Improve, yes...but not game changing levels. 

If I could live in a perfect world, I would really like a draft that goes OT/OL in round 1, DB in round 2, and high upside developmental DL in round 3....

Depending on who comes back we really may only have 1 defensive line spot available -- but I would like that to go to drafted guy with upside. 

34 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Loudermilk has been a very nice surprise, but I agree with the pass rushing. I see him as more of Alualu's future roster replacement at the moment than Tuitt/Heyward (eventually). Feels like a player who has a long career in the league being useful. Pass rush is one of those skills I think you either have or you don't. Dudes don't usually turn into terrors overnight. Improve, yes...but not game changing levels. 

If I could live in a perfect world, I would really like a draft that goes OT/OL in round 1, DB in round 2, and high upside developmental DL in round 3....

Depending on who comes back we really may only have 1 defensive line spot available -- but I would like that to go to drafted guy with upside. 

I think just gaining strength will help him a lot. Aaron Smith wasn’t a great nuanced pass rusher. He was just strong as an ox and had arms like Paul Bunyan. Milk may never be quick, but he can develop into a guy that can bulldoze into the backfield every now and again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Nice list @warfelg. Really don't have much to add, but I'll try to avoid total repeats (for the most part). 

I do think the Steelers will operate differently than what is expected after being very Vet Heavy and light on financial assets....but I don't think they break away from the big money to guys over 27/28. We need impact guys -- specifically on the OL and in secondary. There's a plethora of potential targets that still fit that mold. 

On the offensive line:
I don't like the tackles that fit that signing mold at tackle, however. I think the FA impact we find is on the Interior and we leave the tackle up grade to the top 2 rounds of the draft. So.....

Connor Williams is my 1B free agent this year. Dallas just inserted him back into the starting lineup and was instantly upgraded for doing so. He is going to be 25 and would play LG, moving Dotson back to his long time position at RG. 

If we couldn't get Williams, James Daniels is my next in line. He has been a RG, so we don't move Dotson....but oh well. 

My 3rd option would be Austin Corbett. Been a good player with the Rams. Fred Johnson would be an interesting guy to get back. Not as a starter, but interesting depth if he doesn't get picked back up (might be a RFA?)

I'm a little afraid they are going to keep Dan Moore as the LT. If they do though, a stop gap like Morgan Moses would make a lot of sense at RT, IMO. But I think the guy everyone loves to hate is back in Chuks Okorafor. Yes, you can pick up the clips where Clowney worked him, but he is the second youngest OT FA available, has 2 years of okay ball, won't cost much, and can play RT/LT. 

Secondary:

My 1A: Carlton Davis. The Bucs have cap space, but also a LOT of meaningful FA's they need to make decisions on. It will ultimately just depend on how they go about their off-season. They have a short window of Brady (2-15 years) so it will be interesting to see where they go. But Carlton Davis would be a clear 3rd round comp that could be vital moving forward on a team that will fill up the cap. Godwin, JPP, Jensen, Suh, Gronk, Fournette, Howard, Whitehead, Cappa....all starters on TB that will be FA's along with Davis. In 23 its Brady, David, White, Vea, Bunting, Edwards, and Dean all hitting the market. The Bucs are set up pretty well to get creative, but that's a lot of significant names. Maybe Davis falls through. 

Beyond Davis, Donte Jackson is my next in line. Drafted Hornee, traded for Henderson, and signed Gilmore. Just seems Jackson will be the odd man out. 

I have a really hard time seeing Witherspoon willingly playing here next year. Tomlin would have to do a really, really, really good sell job. But Witherspoon back with one of the top guys + a top 4 round draft pick. I'd be very content at CB. 

War mentioned Justin Reid before, and I had honestly forgotten about him, but now I am desperate to get him. He would be a potential playmaker and I would be curious to see if they would try to fit him in the nickel role where the have valued sort of hybrid S/CB's. I see Edmunds coming back on a manageable deal, but Reid would be a great 3rd S/Nickel/Dime value re-build. 

Linebacker:

I think LVE and Evans are targets the Steelers will likely follow, but my big money targets are the OG and CB positions. I want to go after Josey Jewell. I think he pairs nicely next to Bush, who I don't think they are going to look to replace. We saw how god awful pairing Bush next to another light, athletic LB can be -- so give me an upgraded Spillane/V.Williams to free up Bush to be athletic. Jewell is going to be cheaper and pairs much better next to Bush. 

Receiver:

Don't mind re-singing JuJu, but the price needs to be right. Look at the money Robby Anders and Cory Davis pull down. Yikes. But I would still like to avoid top 3 picks on receiver. Re-sign JuJu, let DJ play out his contract (with the tag in mind the following year), have Claypool -- and add someone who wakes up faster than people please? Kick the tires on Will Fuller on a one-year hit to be the #4 and take the top off. 

If we did not resign JuJu, Chark, Crowder, and Humphries would all be interesting adds for the right price. But without knowing the QB situation....I'm not going out of my way to spend short term on receiver....or really, at all...(JuJu helps in the run game though). 

Tough to say anything about the DL right now without knowing more. Until we hear anything about changes though, I would operate as if Tuitt and Alualu are both back. In that case, I am avoiding FA and looking to add in the draft this year. 

Corbett and Crowder were 2 guys I thought might be targets of the Steelers.

FWIW I have a feeling the Steelers resign Edmunds and Chuks but cut Banner.

• Like 1