Lions to coach Senior Bowl

Louis Friend

Lions and Jets chosen to host the 2022 Reese's Senior Bowl 

For the first time in the game’s rich history, head coaches will serve in more an advisory capacity while promoting select assistants into leadership roles on the staff (e.g. running backs coach to head coach, secondary coach to defensive coordinator, etc.). This new change will offer position coaches and coordinators developmental opportunities in a setting that showcases their skills in front of peers from all 32 clubs.

Statement from Reese’s Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy:

“The Senior Bowl greatly appreciates our longstanding relationship with the National Football League and we thank NFL Football Operations Executive Vice President Troy Vincent for again providing our game with full coaching staffs. Dan Campbell and Robert Saleh’s staffs will bring great intensity to our game week and our players will undoubtedly get better during their time in Mobile. Our leadership is committed to using our game’s unique platform inspire change and we are excited about opportunities the new staffing model will create.”

Statement from Detroit Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell:

“We are excited to begin our 2022 offseason by coaching the Senior Bowl and getting a first-hand look at some of the top collegiate players as they prepare for the next level. My staff and I welcome this unique opportunity. I know Jim Nagy and his staff will put on a first-class event and we look forward to a fun week in Mobile.”

Players who have accepted invites can be found HERE.

I like the new format with the HC serving on an advisory basis and the assistants take on bigger roles. I think that's a really good step in the right direction and it should give the HC an opportunity to evaluate things from a macro perspective. 

I'm hoping that Campbell gets the South as there's a bunch of Georgia boys that would look really good on our DL. 

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see who we get.  I like all of the QBs (not at 2 but in the late 1st/2nd/3rd) so will be interesting to see who stands out amongst them.  Also interested to see some of the small school WRs like Doubs and Tolbert.  

Glad we get to do this and hopefully it leads to some solid evaluation to find those diamonds or at least make sure we hit on our first few picks. 

• Like 1

There is alot of top talent there this season. And with the Lions having 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I expected them to use this opportunity to differentiate between guys who are coachable, who learns quickest, who puts the work in, who shows up early, how they interact with not only coaches but other players, etc. This is a great opportunity. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 2

Guys I'm interested in seeing: (rounds I currently project them at)

S Jaquan Brisker 1st/2nd rd pick

CB Roger McCreary 2nd/3rd round pick

CB Coby Bryant 2nd/3rd rd pick

S Jalen Pitre 2nd/3rd rd pick

CB Tariq Castro-Fields 4th/5th rd pick

CB Alontae Taylor 4th/5th rd pick

DL Jermaine Johnson II 1st rd pick

DL Myjai Sanders 1st/2nd rd pick

DL Haskell Garrett 4th/5th rd pick

DL Tyreke Smith- 5th/6th rd pick

LB Devin Lloyd 1st rd pick

LB Quay Walker 2nd/3rd rd pick

LB Damone Clark 3rd/4th rd pick

LB Chad Muma 3rd/4th rd pick

LB Brian Asamoah II 3rd/4th rd pick

OG Ed Ingram 2nd/3rd rd pick

OG Lecitus Smith 2nd/3rd rd pick

OG Cole Strange 5th/6th rd pick

QB Kenny Pickett 1st/2nd rd pick

QB Malik Willis 1st/2nd rd pick

QB Desmond Ridder 2nd/3rd rd pick

QB Carson Strong 2nd/3rd rd pick

TE Trey McBride 2nd/3rd rd pick

TE Jeremy Ruckert 3rd/4th rd pick

TE Charlie Kolar 4th/5th rd pick

WR Romeo Doubs 2nd/3rd rd pick

WR Jalen Tolbert 2nd/3rd rd pick

WR Dontario Drummond 5th/6th rd pick

WR Bo Melton 7th rd pick/undrafted

• Like 1

Updates for Senior Bowl per Jim Nagy:

2022 SENIOR BOWL UPDATE: 
-@Lions and @nyjets locked in as coaching staffs
-Proposed rosters sent to GMs  
-GMs reviewing rosters  
-Potential trades discussed
-Trades approved
-American & National squads set 

Seems more like a pick up game where the teams will have a say in the players they get, including trading for players who better fit the scheme they want to run. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Updates for Senior Bowl per Jim Nagy:

Seems more like a pick up game where the teams will have a say in the players they get, including trading for players who better fit the scheme they want to run. 

Interesting. It seems like they're trying to add in more elements for development at various levels of the sport. This feels like a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff that won't make a ton of difference to us as fans. However, it's possible some feedback they've received from players is coaches putting them out of position/bad scheme fits and impacting their draft stock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Interesting. It seems like they're trying to add in more elements for development at various levels of the sport. This feels like a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff that won't make a ton of difference to us as fans. However, it's possible some feedback they've received from players is coaches putting them out of position/bad scheme fits and impacting their draft stock. 

I'm not sure the game is overly impactful on draft status as much as practice is.  Work ethic, one on one drills for the small school guys, how quick people pick up on concepts etc seems to be what the game is about.  I am guessing very little is actually put on the actual game just knowing how basic most of it is and how short of a time they actually have to prepare for the game. But I can see feedback in which some staffs may want better looks at certain players and makes sense to move them around opposed to wasting a week.  

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, Louis Friend said:

Guys I'm interested in seeing: (rounds I currently project them at)

S Jaquan Brisker 1st/2nd rd pick

CB Roger McCreary 2nd/3rd round pick

CB Coby Bryant 2nd/3rd rd pick

S Jalen Pitre 2nd/3rd rd pick

CB Tariq Castro-Fields 4th/5th rd pick

CB Alontae Taylor 4th/5th rd pick

DL Jermaine Johnson II 1st rd pick

DL Myjai Sanders 1st/2nd rd pick

DL Haskell Garrett 4th/5th rd pick

DL Tyreke Smith- 5th/6th rd pick

LB Devin Lloyd 1st rd pick

LB Quay Walker 2nd/3rd rd pick

LB Damone Clark 3rd/4th rd pick

LB Chad Muma 3rd/4th rd pick

LB Brian Asamoah II 3rd/4th rd pick

OG Ed Ingram 2nd/3rd rd pick

OG Lecitus Smith 2nd/3rd rd pick

OG Cole Strange 5th/6th rd pick

QB Kenny Pickett 1st/2nd rd pick

QB Malik Willis 1st/2nd rd pick

QB Desmond Ridder 2nd/3rd rd pick

QB Carson Strong 2nd/3rd rd pick

TE Trey McBride 2nd/3rd rd pick

TE Jeremy Ruckert 3rd/4th rd pick

TE Charlie Kolar 4th/5th rd pick

WR Romeo Doubs 2nd/3rd rd pick

WR Jalen Tolbert 2nd/3rd rd pick

WR Dontario Drummond 5th/6th rd pick

WR Bo Melton 7th rd pick/undrafted

That is an awesome List.  I would love it if the Lions managed to get Jaquan Brisker.  He may end up going higher than people think.  The Lions should have an interest in any LB with a pulse but if Devin Lloyd somehow made it to our second first-round pick that would be awesome.  Carson Strong has some knee problems but has good arm talent.  Desmond Ridder might be the best fit.  He has a lot of physical tools but needs some time to develop.  Jared Goff's improvement down the stretch buys us some time for that.

45 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That is an awesome List.  I would love it if the Lions managed to get Jaquan Brisker.  He may end up going higher than people think.  The Lions should have an interest in any LB with a pulse but if Devin Lloyd somehow made it to our second first-round pick that would be awesome.  Carson Strong has some knee problems but has good arm talent.  Desmond Ridder might be the best fit.  He has a lot of physical tools but needs some time to develop.  Jared Goff's improvement down the stretch buys us some time for that.

If we get Ridder late enough (3rd round, preferably the latter third round pick), I am all for it.  Even then if he is just a decent back up, then its fine.  I dont want to spend a higher pick where he would then have expectations of being our starter soon.  

This will be cool. Dan Campbell and our staff will draw media attention. Football people love him too. This will be a good thing for the Lions to get a lot of exposure outside of just the prospects.

- Wish they got to coach QB Kenny Pickett, but hey they'll be playing against him so they'll see what he can/can't handle in other ways and can learn a lot about him still. 

- Good one to look at all the LB'ers too. I love Llyod but I think he'll rise, especially after the combine and people realize he's not that slow.