Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

24 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I haven't seen a single official thing that suggests we're going 3-4. I also don't recall Spags ever using that as a primary alignment either.

DL Coach Joe Cullen has a background in 3-4. Obviously, he is not the DC, but...
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/02/04/kc-chiefs-add-joe-cullen-defensive-coaching-staff/

3-4 or 4-3 barely matters anymore with everyone running a nickel base anyway. Every team, on most snaps, is going to have two interior lineman, two edge rushers, two off ball linebackers, and five defensive backs. No one runs a 3-3-5 nickel, so everyone winds up in either a 2-4-5 or 4-2-5 nickel, which are the exact same thing with the only difference being what you call the edge rushers.

Though, if forced to choose, what we run is still more 4-3 than 3-4. But this topic hasn't really mattered in years now. It was a big deal when your Romeo Crennell 3-4 had a front of Tyson Jackson, Kelly Gregg, and Glenn Dorsey. But that kind of front wouldn't exist anymore.

Pittsburgh, the most stubbornly 3-4 team in NFL history, had a starting NT last year at 295 pounds and like 30% of the team's snaps. Having a DL of several 300+ pound guys playing 50%+ of the snaps doesn't exist anymore, and with it, the concept of a 3-4 basically doesn't either.

We'll run a base of Clark/Jones/Nnadi/someone not on roster like 30% of the time, and then spend most of the time in nickel/dime sets with Clark/Jones/Wharton/someone not on the roster. And then rotate for freshness. If Clark or the newbie on the other side takes a hand off the ground and you want to call it a 3-4, cool. Makes no difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

EDGE still needs a lot of work, but I do think DT can be fine with what we had, with Nnadi back. I don't think a formula like PFF's appreciate what that kind of player can do. And he was better in 2020 with more snaps anyway.

I like Nnadi. He was good last season too, IMO. Still think we need another DT and agree with others about needing Edge.

Wharton was so-so as was Pennel last year. Pennel was great in 2020 and I had high hopes for him last season.

CB is a position that needs to be addressed via the draft, if not FA prior to it.

Edited by mayanfootball
  • Like 1

We showed off some hybrid principles last year with Ingram. I dont think Spagz cares what you give him, hell try to work it into his defense if they can play.

What i find interesting is Daly moving to LB Coach from DL, which a) helps his HC aspirations, and B) maybe the LBs will learn some pass rush skills?

I think it opens up the EDGE position to be something more than a Clark or JPP style player. 

Here is a film review of Geron Christian. As note several post above, he is much better at pass pro than run blocking. Next to a buldozer like Trey Smith that ought to be less of an issue. Protecting Mahomes is never bad.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/21/22987944/chiefs-film-review-what-new-tackle-geron-christian-brings-to-kansas-city

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Here is a film review of Geron Christian. As note several post above, he is much better at pass pro than run blocking. Next to a buldozer like Trey Smith that ought to be less of an issue. Protecting Mahomes is never bad.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/21/22987944/chiefs-film-review-what-new-tackle-geron-christian-brings-to-kansas-city

J

Say hes got quick feet and is athletic so you cant just speed rush him. Looks like a good swing tackle option for us

Bengals cut Trae Wayans, who I feel like we were interested in at one point.  He’sa former first round pick that never lived up to his draft status and has had injury issues…

So I’m guessing he’s on our roster soon because this describes just about every CB Veach brings in via FA, lol

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Bengals cut Trae Wayans, who I feel like we were interested in at one point.  He’sa former first round pick that never lived up to his draft status and has had injury issues…

So I’m guessing he’s on our roster soon because this describes just about every CB Veach brings in via FA, lol

Maybe. The last few have been on or just off their rookie contracts. Wayans has twice that long in the league. I would not object. it's not like he's going to start.

I would say some combination of

CB/Edge

DT-with some pass rushing upside would be a solid add

S/LB - could be multiple players could be a hybrid guy.

We are in need of depth all over.  I would say CB/Edge is the area we have the biggest needs for improvement, then S/LB simply because how much we play 3 Safety, and we don’t really have a 3rd LB right now worth anything.

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Maybe. The last few have been on or just off their rookie contracts. Wayans has twice that long in the league. I would not object. it's not like he's going to start.

“Starting” like 3-4 vs 4-3 vs 2-4-5 etc is relative.  If he’s healthy I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he could slide above Baker.

4 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

We are in need of depth all over.  I would say CB/Edge is the area we have the biggest needs for improvement, then S/LB simply because how much we play 3 Safety, and we don’t really have a 3rd LB right now worth anything.

So we’re on par with what we had last year.  I kid, I kid.

I’d say Edge and CB definitely.    I’d still be searching for another WR also.   Nothing flashy,  just another that lets us move Juju and Hardman around the field more. 

3 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

“Starting” like 3-4 vs 4-3 vs 2-4-5 etc is relative.  If he’s healthy I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he could slide above Baker.

Not a stretch but also not a given. We haven't seen Baker healthy yet.