Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

20 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Camp body who may sneak on the roster with the last DT spot. I’d bet he’s cut but wouldn’t be surprised to see him signed to the practice squad. 

Good camp competition for Wharton and Saunders

More emphasis on the defensive backfield which I think we all, save one of us, allay believed was going to be an area of need.  Obviously Watts among others weren’t the cream of the crop, but truth is, they are bodies that need to be replaced, Special Teams snaps etc.

This off-season has been interesting. Two of our biggest areas of weakness on D, DB and Edge have actually gotten worse.  Meanwhile we’ve also taken a step back in the one offensive area we hoped to improve (WR).  But we’ve added players and depth in a variety of areas that create draft flexibility.

It seems highly likely well target WR/CB/Edge in the draft if you look at the rumors we’ve been connected to and the things we’ve said.  What’s interesting is, I haven’t heard anything about us bringing in edges players to visit with the exception of Arden Key.

The Chiefs signed Jermaine Carter Jr?  That dude sucks and was a crap ILB for the Panthers and a weak link I thought.  He is not a super skilled player, maybe in a different system he would do well but honestly I would be shocked if he ends up as a starter in Kansas City.  I am not a huge fan of Gay or Bolton but both are pretty good compared to Jermaine Carter who is not.  

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Chiefs signed Jermaine Carter Jr?  That dude sucks and was a crap ILB for the Panthers and a weak link I thought.  He is not a super skilled player, maybe in a different system he would do well but honestly I would be shocked if he ends up as a starter in Kansas City.  I am not a huge fan of Gay or Bolton but both are pretty good compared to Jermaine Carter who is not.  

I think you're underrating both Gay and Bolton. But most importantly, prior to free agency they were the only two LB under contract. So Carter is just depth who should be pushed by a draft pick and probably another vet signing.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Camp body who may sneak on the roster with the last DT spot. I’d bet he’s cut but wouldn’t be surprised to see him signed to the practice squad. 

He's been better than that, but he's no starter. 

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

They lost all the LB depth. After Gay and Bolton, thay have ST-only Darius Harris and PS guy Shalique Calhoun. That's it.

They may draft a LB who provides edge rush, but journeyman FA are likely going to get roster spots. If he can play ST well, that's a big factor. Also, currently there is no dime LB. 

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

I think you're underrating both Gay and Bolton. But most importantly, prior to free agency they were the only two LB under contract. So Carter is just depth who should be pushed by a draft pick and probably another vet signing.

Not quite. Gay and Bolton are the only two who took saps on defense last season. Harris was on the roster all season and amassed a tackle. 

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

They lost all the LB depth. After Gay and Bolton, thay have ST-only Darius Harris and PS guy Shalique Calhoun. That's it.

They may draft a LB who provides edge rush, but journeyman FA are likely going to get roster spots. If he can play ST well, that's a big factor. Also, currently there is no dime LB. 

I have them getting Quay Walker late 2nd round in the draft.  Might not be a scheme fit but I think he is a good enough athlete, actually is a great athlete considering his size.  I saw on a depth chart Jermaine Carter Jr as the starting ILB which is a joke, and Gay/Bolton are two speed guys who can run and Walker could be a thumper in the middle and possibly even provide some edge rushing if they want as well.  Sure Carter can provide depth but I sure hope they do not think he is a staring LB.  

Elijah Lee I really like coming out of Kansas State but has not been great in the NFL.  Did have that one really good year on the 49ers and he could bring some decent depth.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I have them getting Quay Walker late 2nd round in the draft.  Might not be a scheme fit but I think he is a good enough athlete, actually is a great athlete considering his size.  I saw on a depth chart Jermaine Carter Jr as the starting ILB which is a joke, and Gay/Bolton are two speed guys who can run and Walker could be a thumper in the middle and possibly even provide some edge rushing if they want as well.  Sure Carter can provide depth but I sure hope they do not think he is a staring LB.  

Elijah Lee I really like coming out of Kansas State but has not been great in the NFL.  Did have that one really good year on the 49ers and he could bring some decent depth.  

I'm not sold on Walker that high. With team greatness you often get several players who evaluate a bit above their true ability. It has been a significant problem with Alabama defenders through the years. 

I would prefer someone like Troy Anderson a round later. He will have immediate impact on ST and get some snaps at WLB. Less help as a rookie, but this is a reloading year whatever happens.

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I'm not sold on Walker that high. With team greatness you often get several players who evaluate a bit above their true ability. It has been a significant problem with Alabama defenders through the years. 

I would prefer someone like Troy Anderson a round later. He will have immediate impact on ST and get some snaps at WLB. Less help as a rookie, but this is a reloading year whatever happens.

Troy Anderson will be long gone with his amazing workout numbers and I have Muma long gone as well before that late 2nd round pick.  Quay I do not think is overrated, the dude is a freaky athlete and is a super big and long ILB who could arguably be a 3/4  OLB if put in the position or a edge player.  He is a freak considering his size at 6-4 240 4.5 speed.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Troy Anderson will be long gone with his amazing workout numbers and I have Muma long gone as well before that late 2nd round pick.  Quay I do not think is overrated, the dude is a freaky athlete and is a super big and long ILB who could arguably be a 3/4  OLB if put in the position or a edge player.  He is a freak considering his size at 6-4 240 4.5 speed.  

That's a lot of people in front of Walker. Are you sure he still rates 2nd round? If Walker has the pass rush ability, then he projects better as a situational DE. 

Anderson did test really well, but he's from Montana State and he's green as an Augusta National fairway. Is he even a LB long term? Still, you have a point. Someone will roll the dice and hope for another Micah Parsons. 

42 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Over his 4 year career he averages 11 total tackles and 1 sack per season. He had his career high season last year with 3 sacks and 16 total tackles. In college, his stats were just as pedestrian, if not worse.

Jones: 27 tackles 9 sacks last year

Wharton: 29 tackles 2 sacks last year

Nnadi: 21 tackles 3 sacks last year

I highly doubt that he beats out any of our top 3 DT in the depth chart. Saunders, who I pencil in at #4, is TBD since he hasn't been healthy. But I imagine we'll get a rookie DT who should push for that spot along with last year's PS guys.

13 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's a lot of people in front of Walker. Are you sure he still rates 2nd round? If Walker has the pass rush ability, then he projects better as a situational DE. 

Anderson did test really well, but he's from Montana State and he's green as an Augusta National fairway. Is he even a LB long term? Still, you have a point. Someone will roll the dice and hope for another Micah Parsons. 

I have Andersen going #41 to Seattle and Muma going #45 to the Ravens, Damone Clark going #48 to the Bears, Leo Chenal going #53 to the Packers and #56 Christian Harris going to the Dallas Cowboys.  Then of course Walker to the Chiefs at #62.

Considering the athlete he is no way Quay Walker is not worth a 2nd round pick but sure he might settle in the 3rd round.  Andersen has such upside I think a team will really like him, raw at LB sure but that athletic ability is special and he has size also for the position and is not a small guy.

53 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Not quite. Gay and Bolton are the only two who took saps on defense last season. Harris was on the roster all season and amassed a tackle. 

1 tackle in 7 games on special teams, zero snaps on defense, Darius Harris. And to be fair, we only had two LB under contract until after the season when Harris was signed to a reserve/futures deal. Semantics? Maybe.