Offseason - Around the NFL

WizardHawk

39 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

we should probably re-sign Dak now. 

The way Dak played the last half of the season/playoffs…. Why stop there? Let’s sign all of our average performers to elite deals!

Highest paid CBs

• Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander: $21 million

• 2. Browns cornerback Denzel Ward: $20.1 million

• 3. Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey: $20 million

• 4. Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey: $19.5 million

We should probably re-sign Anthony Brown now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

we should probably re-sign Dak now. 

Dak will do what he did before.  Bank on his performance to get him an even richer deal vs what he would get if he were to sign now.  I can't blame him.

Here's a radical thought that was suggested by another poster that I will shamelessly steal. How about investing a high draft pick in a QB?  Give yourselves some leverage.  Said QB works out and you hand Dak his walking papers.  It's nothing personal against Dak.  It's business.  Sure there's risk but nothing is guaranteed.  Think of the upside.  We don't know how much Dak will command on his next contract but it will be cap challenging. 

Edited by Northland

7 hours ago, Northland said:

Dak will do what he did before.  Bank on his performance to get him an even richer deal vs what he would get if he were to sign now.  I can't blame him.

What? Dak would have signed earlier for much less. Dallas FO kept waiting. 

Contracts keep scaling at rapid levels. You either are in on the early or you get burned late. Sign early and be happy. 

7 hours ago, Northland said:

Here's a radical thought that was suggested by another poster that I will shamelessly steal. How about investing a high draft pick in a QB?  Give yourselves some leverage.  Said QB works out and you hand Dak his walking papers.  It's nothing personal against Dak.  It's business.  Sure there's risk but nothing is guaranteed.  Think of the upside.  We don't know how much Dak will command on his next contract but it will be cap challenging. 

Given this FO's eye for QB talent (or lack thereof), I'm not sure that would work out well for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

What? Dak would have signed earlier for much less. Dallas FO kept waiting. 

Contracts keep scaling at rapid levels. You either are in on the early or you get burned late. Sign early and be happy. 

I seem to recall Dak turning down a contract in 2020 that would have paid him $33 million a season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29247938/debunking-dak-prescott-contract-debate-facts-fiction-why-cowboys-pay-him

"After his third year, the Cowboys reportedly offered him an extension averaging $33 million per season. He declined."

I honestly don't recall Dak wanting to sign and Dallas dragging their heels.  Dak would have been a nice bargain at $25 million.  I think his though process became I will hold out and get the deal I want.

I agree with your contention that contracts will continue to rise and teams need to get in early.  I don't know if Dak will.  Holding out worked well for him in the past.  QB's can certainly get lucrative deals into their 30's.  

Edited by Northland

3 hours ago, Northland said:

I seem to recall Dak turning down a contract in 2020 that would have paid him $33 million a season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29247938/debunking-dak-prescott-contract-debate-facts-fiction-why-cowboys-pay-him

"After his third year, the Cowboys reportedly offered him an extension averaging $33 million per season. He declined."

I honestly don't recall Dak wanting to sign and Dallas dragging their heels.  Dak would have been a nice bargain at $25 million.  I think his though process became I will hold out and get the deal I want.

I agree with your contention that contracts will continue to rise and teams need to get in early.  I don't know if Dak will.  Holding out worked well for him in the past.  QB's can certainly get lucrative deals into their 30's.  

Regardless, I can’t see Steven giving Dak a 3rd contract  if he doesn’t produce in the Postseason. He will need to deliver a NFC Conference Championship if not a SB victory. Especially with the way top of the 1st round QB’s have been producing here lately at this level. 

7 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Regardless, I can’t see Steven giving Dak a 3rd contract  if he doesn’t produce in the Postseason. He will need to deliver a NFC Conference Championship if not a SB victory. Especially with the way top of the 1st round QB’s have been producing here lately at this level. 

I won't put anything past this front office.

12 hours ago, Northland said:

Maybe. I honestly don’t fully remember the series of events that led us here. 

My larger point though is fans are wrong when the pearl clutch over price points of players. In one year Dak was what the highest paid or top 3 to now borderline top 10? 

We as fans focus on the wrong thing. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

My larger point though is fans are wrong when the pearl clutch over price points of players. In one year Dak was what the highest paid or top 3 to now borderline top 10? 

I won't begrudge a player for getting the best deal they can.  I will look at management and say don't cry about salaries.  You can refuse to sign the player in question.  I think you will see Dak ride out the current contract and see what the market will pay him. He will be what 31 at the end of the current deal. I would do the same.  Banking on himself paid well the first time.

15 hours ago, D82 said:

Given this FO's eye for QB talent (or lack thereof), I'm not sure that would work out well for them. 

Very true but I'm looking at it with the glass half full.  Should Dallas crash and burn this season and find themselves in a position to draft a "can't miss" QB I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.  Like I said they would be able to walk away from the massive contract Dak would command. It's not personal.  It's business. I feel bad for Dak.  The questionable off season personnel wise has removed a lot of resources for Dak.  You can argue that when you're making the money Dak is you have to work with and elevate those around you.  No Cooper, Wilson, Collins, Smith, and Gallup for a few games will be a lot for Dak and the team to deal with.

5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

He’s the 7th highest paid player in the league still. He is still over paid.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

Very true but I'm looking at it with the glass half full.  Should Dallas crash and burn this season and find themselves in a position to draft a "can't miss" QB I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.  Like I said they would be able to walk away from the massive contract Dak would command. It's not personal.  It's business. I feel bad for Dak.  The questionable off season personnel wise has removed a lot of resources for Dak.  You can argue that when you're making the money Dak is you have to work with and elevate those around you.  No Cooper, Wilson, Collins, Smith, and Gallup for a few games will be a lot for Dak and the team to deal with.

It’s pretty well known that Dak and Amari got into after the 49ers game. We obviously didn’t need the cap room from Amari so it seems pretty clear they sent Amari on his way to prevent locker room division 

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He’s the 7th highest paid player in the league still. He is still over paid.

This isn't a topic I will care enough about to engage in. All of the salary-cap hell hysteria across the NFL has always fallen short. At this point, pay the players as much as teams want. I literally do not care. Aside from Watson's fully G's - the rest of the NFL contracts are meaningless. 

• Like 1